Does anyone else feel like Abrams really fucked up by ending it on that moving helicopter shot?

Does anyone else feel like Abrams really fucked up by ending it on that moving helicopter shot?

Rey holding out the lightsaber for Luke was the perfect opportunity for a classic Star Wars-style final flat shot.

For me, that was one of the biggest fuck-ups in this movie and nobody ever seems to talk about it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Lf0qZLK8l-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=rWF0f183tSA
youtube.com/watch?v=yHqdESArkqU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's not a big fuck up, that pose just lasted too long and the helicopter was unecessary. It got the dramatic moment across, so it wasn't totally ruined.

I thought the other director did that shot? either way, yes, it was a jarring stupid shot.

Oh yeah, of all the problems with that movie, it's the most obvious. It left me with the WEIRDEST fucking feeling since it's the last shot, like, "Did they just end that on a helicopter shot?"

It was really dissonant. It was also really annoying since the main reason I went to see this was to see Hamill, and he's in it for 10 seconds and doesn't have a fucking line, absolutely criminal.

Yes, we all watched the HitB review.

there was a lot of things that were just off about this movie. the weird jokes and one-liners, characters like Phasma being completely useless, the lack of any context for the conflict, flat-out shitty characters like Maz Kanata... JJ really is a poor director

>Jay and Mike said it so you can't have that opinion either!

>is this meme "all sw criticism is rlm" or "all sw criticism is illegitimate because rlm"?

I remember it being mentioned semi-frequently here when the movie came out. It's an awful shot.

Thanks OP. I'm even happier I never wasted my time watching it.

Phew, dodged a bullet.

Yeah, I'd say my top two issues were the ending shot and the fact that we're given zero idea of what exactly it is that the first order even does.

At least the OT and the PT had decent infodump scenes early in their first movies to tell us what the actual conflict is, instead of "uhhh they dress like the empire and they kill people so yknow, you can just fill in the blanks."

Honestly I'd take more of the politicking that the PT had. I feel like it helped sell the pseudo-samurai film plot structure quite well. At least, for phantom menace

>the lack of any context for the conflict
It's funny you mention that, because I was rewatching TFA recently and I was thinking about what happened in the writing process that caused such a lack of context and world-building in TFA.

I realized the problem is a lack of politics. I'm not going to sit here and pretend that the prequels were good movies, but one of the most common complaints about them is that there's too much political talk. I think the reason nobody fully understands the conflict in TFA is because they were so concerned with distancing TFA from the prequels that they chose to completely leave politics out of it.

The politics are necessary to some extent because the key word in "Star Wars" is "War". There's always some big war that's going on in the SW universe and we need to know the nature of that war and why it's happening, otherwise we don't fully understand what's happening in the movie.

Yep, it's awful and they know it.

Jar Jar fucked up entire movie, not just that scene

>fuck a movie showing me the plot, I want long, drawn-out infodump scenes with all of the gravitas of a C-SPAN livefeed

Kill yourself. It's established quite clearly in TFA that the First Order wants to rebuild the Empire. Did you even watch the movie?

Why are you guys so fucking desperate to try to prove TFA is bad when literally the entire world is against you?

Is this some way of trying to prove yourself as some real patrician kinographer because you have "taste" that's "above" the common plebs?

>There isn't a single good Star Wars movie

>Rogue One might be the only good one if they don't push the "powerful woman" shtick too hard

post your home address if you want to fight me about it

More like just a generally disconnect from reality or causation in general. Why the fuck are they "rebels" if the Republic has core worlds and is in a state of relative peace? How did the First Order get the resources to build a giant planet-killing weapon without alerting anyone until it's fucking ready to go? Doesn't the Republic take an interest in unauthorized megastructure construction?

Why is a perfectly functional, famous starship "garbage?" why is rey paid in portions? where does she get the water and other things she needs to survive? why did the jawa-thing on the robot animal give up bb8 so easily? why did they need bb8's portion of the map? doesn't the republic have starcharts?

i could go on.

These are autism complaints, holy shit dude, Star Wars is not an encyclopedia. Who the fuck cares about how much money it cost to build Starkiller Base

>dude its a fantasy movie turn your brain off
i don't need a balance shit, just some basic economic realism would be nice

Those are all just nitpicks though. There's nothing substantial about those complaints.

I didn't even process it was a "helicopter shot". I just noticed how fucking goofy it is seeing her frozen hold the saber out like that for 30 seconds.

>basic economic realism in muh space fantasy movie

You're fucking embarrassing yourself dude, just stop

I kind of see his point though. It's been almost an entire year since I saw the movie, but I kept wondering how the hell the New Order amassed so much weaponry, influence, and funds in such a short amount of time. Episode 6 gave the impression that the Empire was destroyed and the universe was freed of its tyranny. Maybe it's asking too much to give an explanation for it.

>but I kept wondering how the hell the New Order amassed so much weaponry, influence, and funds in such a short amount of time. Episode 6 gave the impression that the Empire was destroyed and the universe was freed of its tyranny. Maybe it's asking too much to give an explanation for it.

The Empire was a galaxy-spanning Imperial power. The idea that all of its infrastructure and military disappeared overnight is fucking ludicrous, all the celebration shit in RotJ is special-edition non-canon shit anyway.

The nu-EU explanation is that the Galactic Civil War continued for about a year or two after RotJ, but after the final battle at Jakku the Empire's remaining military retreated to the unknown, uncharted regions of the galaxy where they consolidated and rebuilt for 30 years. Then again, none of this fucking matters because Star Wars is not an encyclopedia and the universe is subservient to the characters and their arcs, the movies are not made for you to fill up an autistic wookiepedia article about how the First Order was created and how they're financed and supplied.

The style of the shot was so disconnected and didn't feel like starwars at all..it was disturbing.

Yes

MastaBait

>if they don't push the "powerful woman" shtick too hard
You know they will push it to the limit.

no he fucked up by casting daisy ridley. the last shot is literally the least fucked up thing in the movie

daisy ridley CANT fucking act.

>nobody ever seems to talk about it
It's Star Wars. Every second of every film has been discussed to death

it got criticised for doing things the exact same as a new hope and now criticised for doing something different. why don't you want to like it

It's almost as if a certain demographic were going to hate the movie no matter what, either because "hurr durr disney" or "hurr durr it's popular so I must hate it"

i don't think the way to create a lasting impression and iconic scene for the final shot of a reawakened franchise is to make a static shot that's been done before. but you know that's just my opinion

I don't think asking for a little more detail when it comes to changes in the setting is that heavy a demand when we're talking about a direct sequel that takes place thirty years after the last film.

You're right that many of the details are trivial, though. Moreover, certain aspects of the First Order 's existence are going to be inevitably connected to who Snoke is and where he came from, which is a mystery TFA was careful to preserve.

People don't find that shot laughable because it's different from previous Star Wars films. People dislike that shot because it's jarring within its own scene in its own fucking movie.

I'm like 99% sure a chopper shot was necessary because of the shooting location. If they weren't shooting on location on an island with dangerous cliffs I'm sure JJ would have just pulled back and done a wider shot, but just fucking couldn't. I'll admit though that it does seem way out of place.

There's another fucking weird long shot when Kylo Ren and Rey have their lightsaber battle.

>Let me just stare at you for a couple of seconds while you close your eyes and channel your power

With the force theme and everything it just felt awkward as fuck.

That was fucking kino you pleb

kill yourselves disney fags

JJ loves to move the camera around like a spaceship, even for simple dialogue scenes.

>Why the fuck are they "rebels" if the Republic has core worlds and is in a state of relative peace? How did the First Order get the resources to build a giant planet-killing weapon without alerting anyone until it's fucking ready to go? Doesn't the Republic take an interest in unauthorized megastructure construction?

You have no idea how large a galaxy is, do you? the first order had to have had control over some territory and in said territory there is enough materials and also a resistance that was backed by the republic like the Mujahideen against Soviet Russia. Did the new Republic have some non aggression pact with the first order they were trying to get around while the first order was conducting the manhattan project? I still haven't devoured every bit of new lore.

Maybe if they broke the hold and she focused while he punched his wound again it would be kino. It would be poetry, the rage and hate of the dark side vs the serenity and patience of the light.

You are a fucking pleb

They wanted to get as much footage of the island it seemed. I doubt they'll go back to skellig micheal again, seemed like a lot of hassle the first time.

I don't know why ignorant faggots like you bother posting.

They literally went back for 8 where have you been

Luke shouldve pulled the saber with the force and unsheathed it then it quick slidefades to the credits. Pay me 10 million dollars Disney.

>For me, that was one of the biggest fuck-ups in this movie and nobody ever seems to talk about it.

Because most people don't know or care enough about filmmaking to criticize that kind of thing.

you mean the last shot is important to criticize compared to the entire film being cliche, adhd, terribly written, terribly acted and terribly directed, with the only effort given to jokes?

it's not a star wars film, it's a film about star wars.

the sooner you understand that the more sense it's its failings make.

it exists somewhere between sequel, reboot and parody.

youtube.com/watch?v=Lf0qZLK8l-Y

youtube.com/watch?v=rWF0f183tSA

you fucking kids are pathetic

She's a fucking slag

It's funny you say that. I like the contrast between how shit Kylo Ren, Rey, and Finn are at fighting compared to the prequel characters.

youtube.com/watch?v=yHqdESArkqU

>tfw Darth Maul's fight could've been 10 times better if they actually had them sword fighting instead of running on long pathways, jumping from pathway to pathway, and >muh high ground doesn't apply bullshit

Hi again.

obi wan vs maul is the second best fight in the entire series

>I like the contrast between how shit Kylo Ren, Rey, and Finn
Except after 10 years+ of training with Luke and snoke he shouldn't be anywhere near that shit.

I don't think the intent was to show how "shit" they are at fighting, it's just that prequel choreography is fucking retarded to anyone over 12 years old