twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAAAME
WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NOOOO NAAAAME

>Bono is going to make U2 albums until he fucking dies
>They're going keep consistently getting worse

I shiver to think what U2 will even sound like by the year 2025

>pre-1983 U2: pretty good
>1983 - 1993 U2: pretty GOAT, intermittent Bono antics, nothing too major
>1994 - 2003 U2: pretty good, legacy slightly dented however, Bono antics rising
>2004 - 2013 U2: very hit and miss, legacy becoming tarnished, Bono antics hit peak level
>2014 - present U2: desperate to stay relevant, everything they do is a blunder, cashing in on nostalgia train as well

I really should listen to their work from beyond my lifetime. I think beautiful day and Africa savior bono was my ntroduction to them. I shazamed a kickass song yesterday only to be shocked that it was U2

When the fuck will they understand that Eno is their biggest weapon?

Eno + Lanois

which one?

Get On Your Boots

They have so much money why don't they do free concerts?
They could pay for their own world tour ffs.

Ol' Sourpuss?! Yeah probably.

>Oh dear, we have too much money!
>This is a big problem The Edge, how do we stop this?
>This is a bloody nightmare, I never wanted to have too much money
>I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy

Are U talking U2.....to me?

Illuminati shills

Hell don't people just go to see Sunday bloody sunday and with or without you?

This

give it to the poor and follow jesus.

New Year's Day, Pride, Where The Streets Have No Name and One exist.

That's from your lifetime too.

U2 used to be an amazing band.
They basically were the only mainstream rock band in a sea of shitty new wave synthpop and trash hair metal.

If all you know is YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH then this song will be a big shock to you.

youtube.com/watch?v=gK8aCgDFBZQ

Also they invented dance punk.

youtube.com/watch?v=LnpSSE0GKak

Are U talking U2....to ME?!

Is this an episode of "Great Bits"?

I really wonder how things would have gone if they had been allowed the time to finish Pop before the tour instead of rushing it out the door to a critical lashing. They went back to basics right after that because of the reception but I honestly think Pop could have been fucking great if it had more time in the oven. The reworked versions were really great. If the reception had been better they probably would have kept pushing into more and more experimental directions since they showed no signs of stopping up until then.

Shame they'll never top that glorious 5 year stretch between Achtung Baby and Passengers.

to be fair, they always stage hugely ambitious and technical shows, unlike the rolling stones. I mean just look at the 360 tour
youtube.com/watch?v=2b9ctkXjpQE

For what purpose?

U2 is really weird. NOBODY talks about them, NOBODY listens to them, but they consistently break all world records every time they go on tour.

>NOBODY talks about them, NOBODY listens to them
No one here at least, but you'd be surprised about how many people listen to them usually. Most of their fans are older though since they've not released anything great for two decades now and most younger music fans only know them from iPod commercials and Bono antics. Joshua Tree is one of the highest grossing albums of all time, they're insanely popular and for good reason, but because of the age bubble most common to Sup Forums (16-24 year olds) they just aren't very big.

My dad and my uncle (and all of their friends) are big U2 fans and they're in their late 40s, so do with that what you will. Plus the entirety of Radiohead is and they're all right in the middle of Gen X.

I guess that's true
My uncle went to see their 360 tour and said it was a blast

In my mind, Radiohead sort of picked up where U2 left off with their sound when they stripped back to basics following Pop. OK Computer, Kid A, and Amnesiac sound a hell of a lot like OST1 and a lot of what U2 were going for in Pop, albeit far more refined. Given they've stated U2 was the biggest influence on them at the time I think it would be fair to say Radiohead is the evolution of what U2 started. It's a shame Sup Forums has such a hateboner for Bono they can't appreciate their older work.

Honestly that song is worse than Vertigo

Pop is unironically a great album.

But if you want to hear how the album SHOULD have sounded, listen to one of the live shows from that era.
Songs that were kind of shitty on the album completely come alive in a live setting.
Miami and Gone being the two biggest examples.

I can see a lot of The Edge's guitar style in Ed's own style, honestly. That said, the rhythmic section of Radiohead is superior to U2's by far.

Your parents were probably listening to How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb when they conceived you, OP.

Gone is fucking great.

>That said, the rhythmic section of Radiohead is superior to U2's by far.
tru
youtube.com/watch?v=JrVKSKQKO1c
but Thom, much as I love him, will never be this GOAT as a frontman
youtube.com/watch?v=EM4vblG6BVQ
youtube.com/watch?v=c5Y4JFwj7IE

Gone is shoegaze