Okay Sup Forumsros help me out here. I've never gotten a speeding ticket until today...

Okay Sup Forumsros help me out here. I've never gotten a speeding ticket until today. I have no idea how it works so I don't really know what to do. The trooper said my court date was Feb 2nd. Is there anyway I could pay the ticket before without having to go to court? He got me going 83 in a 65.

depends on the state. In Virginia, that level of speeding is a criminal offense and you could go to jail (not memeing)

Well I live in Tennessee so I'm not sure what that's considered here

>83
>65
brooooooo
i bet you had out of state plates too

You sure he didn't say anything about 'this is your court date if you want to contest the ticket'?

I'm not sure how it is in Tennessee, but here in South Dakota, you just pay the ticket and you're gucci, unless you want to pop your head into court to contest the ticket.

Your best bet is to put a call into your county's clerk of courts in the morning and get some clarification.

Either way, you're highly unlikely to do any jail time.

Go to the court date, it's gonna be a huge crowd of other people who got tickets, ask to speak to a DA. Sit down until either the judge or the DA calls you. The DA is gonna tell you your options or what you can do to get a lighter fine. The judge will call you, tell you what the DA told him and give you a new date to get everything sorted out.

Read the back of the ticket. If you received a penalty assessment then you can probably pay by mail. It's 20 days to pay by mail in my state. Doing so also reduces the points. In some cases you're required to go to court on the date/time. If you're required to then you'll be called up to meet with the DA and normally they'll offer you a points reduction to plead guilty to a lesser offense. - Copfag in Colorado.

If you did that in my state you'd already be in jail for reckless driving. I got my first and only ticket at 17 for 75 in a 55 but it got dropped in court to 65 because the cop apparently gave a shit ton of speeding tickets that day without calibrating their radar or some shit. Ended up paying about 500 or so for it all, got put on court supervision which is basically pussy tier probation.

VA sucks so much. My life is much better since leaving that state.

Ticket may have box checked saying you MUST appear in court on stated date.

If not, you may be able to pay the fine, have your insurance rates go up, and have points put on your license (if applicable). Not all states do points, and if they do you need to be a citizen of said state for points to affect you.

If you have questions, call the court clerk and politely ask your questions. They are government workers so be very kind and they may be forthcoming in helping you.

These people are idiots. If the ticket doesnt say reckless (and it only will if its 20 over) then pay it online. Just google "Tennessee pay traffic ticket." Also to the idiot that posted about VA, it's only criminal if its 20 over, and chances are the cop will let you slide (I just got one for going 22 over, cost me 200+).

Nah man I actually had in-state plates. However, I just moved to a different County and haven't changed my tag or licence yet.

This. Basically you want to plea for a lesser charge. Speeding tickets are just a money maker for the state. As long as you pay sometging, its better than nothing.

>Also to the idiot that posted about VA, it's only criminal if its 20 over,

20 over OR 80+ is a criminal offense, noob

this
but be aware you will get points.
if your license is clean you can probably go to court and ask for a lighter punishment though

The trooper said something about paying the ticket and going to a driving class to avoid a point on my license. That's only if I go to court though. I just don't know if court is the best option for me in this situation. Also does anyone have any idea how much it'd cost?

yes. speeding tickets and other "minor" traffic infractions are handled by a specific department of your local municipal system. your only need to show for the court date if you are not able to pay the full amount by the court date (if you pay before, no court date, its done) or if you want to enter a not guilty or no contest plea. not guilty means you want to fight it, no contest/not guilty means you are not implying guilt on the record, and you can set up a payment plan, or fight it out all the way.unless you are a lawyer yourself, no contest will almost always be the cheapest route and have no permanent impact your record. no contest pleas can be expunged a lot easier than not guilty, btw.
>paralegal intern here

if you would like to try to get out of the ticket make sure the officer is certified to use a radar gun. if he is then have them verify that the radar is up to date on its calibration. if that is true then your last check is to verify that the officer is certified in the use of that specific radar gun. if he is you are fucked.

It's your first ticket who gives a fuck about points. The driving class is 8-12 hours of PURE BOREDOM.

should have sucked the cops dick and you wouldnt be in this mess now

OP,
college kid here. just paid 95 dollars for a ticket law firm to handle my case, i have "90 days traffic probation", which means dont get in trouble for 90 days and the courts will forget about the whole thing. You sound young like me, if you pay the ticket expect your insurance to shoot up 100-200 bucks, especially for as fast as you were going maybe 250. fight it or ask for no contest and do defensive driving if available in your state.

sauce?

Even though I pay $70 a month for liability insurance it'll shoot up like $100?

In most places the radar gun technicalities don't really work these days. That's kind of an older time where maybe they didn't calibrate it or the cop doesn't come to court. Unless there's like an active manhunt for a fugitive or something the cop will show up and have everything in order.

worked for me 3 months ago just saying
gun wasn't calibrated cop thanked me and i was let go

My class was only 4 hours and the instructor let us out every hour to go smoke. I just got baked as shit and smoked a cigarette then went back in.