Historical drama television series

I just finished watching 'Narcos' and really dig the historical background the series had.

Does Sup Forums know any other good shows like this beside Spartacus?

>Spartacus

>Narcos

Pretty broad stretch there m8.

Do you just want random historical shows?

If so;

>Rome

Pretty sure TV can all agree that's great.

Yes. Up until now I just watched 'modern' series. Oldest setting I've seen was Married with Children '80-'90 setting.

Also what's the difference between Spartacus and Narcos. They're both historical television series?

Marco Polo

Narcos had better looking girls than some alien looking humans.

Well, a couple thousand years I guess.

One is a modern "realistic" show. The other is borderline fantasy set in the ancient past.

But yeah, anyway;

>Rome
>Deadwood
>Boardwalk Empire
>Band Of Brothers/The Pacific

They're all pretty popular and will entertain you.

cant forget mad men

aka feels the show

marco polo

>>Deadwood
that's historical? isn't just western GoT thing?

ROME
O
M
E

Romanzo Criminale
It's a crime drama taking place in front of a backdrop of political turmoil during the 1970s in Italy. Similar to what Narcos does.

its the most historical out of all of the shows posted there

whole final season leads up to the bad guy getting wacked but since he didnt get killed IRL they didnt kill him

half of those TV shows would have been like EH WHY NOT

deadwood is GOAT historical western

>comparing based Deadwood to GoT shitshow
Fuck you

if you want a good show that only has in little part historical elements, Black Sails

The Tudors,
Mad Men,
Boardwalk Empire,
Call the Midwife,
Downton Abbey,
Deadwood,
Dr. Quinn,
Medicine Woman,
Little House on the Prairie.

>modern "realistic" show

It's over 25 years ago. And they try to make it look historical even though you might have lived with Escobar appearing in the newspaper every week or so. Many of us didn't.

One feature I really liked was that the main character in Narcos talked from outside the screen to give some extra info about what's going on. Like a documentary.

OP here. My friend also proposed Borgia or The Borgias. Is it any good?

Both are good

1. he asked for SHOW

2. he asked for good stuff

half of that stuff isnt good you just screencapped a wiki page on FILMS

youre a moron

God-tier underrated HBO show no. 1.

3. you named it films FROM the early middle ages

didnt know film existed back then

idiot.

God-tier underrated HBO show no. 2.

Turn: Washington's Spies
John Adams
Hell on Wheels
Deadwood
The Americans
The Last Kingdom
Peaky Blinders
Salem
Boardwalk Empire
Halt and Catch Fire
The White Queen

Vikings
Generation Kill

You think Narcos is 'historical'
How old are you?

21. I had a vague image about escobar being a drug lord in mexico captured rotting in prison.

But in a sense the way the series is presented make it look pretty historical + it's been over 25 years ago, so it's historical.

He apparently believes Pablo Escobar is just a conspiracy.
Or doesn't know what "historical movie or series" means.

Yeah. They could start making movies about 9/11 in 2026 and technically it would be cosidered historical. It's already historical for my younger brother who was born in 2000 and never fully understood up until a few years ago what the ramifications were of that attack.

just for you my triggered friend

Vikings tv show has nothing to do about history.

Has anybody seen both The Borgias and Borgias? Which one is better and which one tries to simulate history the best way.

>vikings

it's fiction.

>generation kill

Probably one of the greatest depiction of modern warfare.

>*exhales heavily*
>pardon me, patron. Sorry to interrupt you, but...

There's no warfare in Generation Kill.

As a professional historian, I feel obligated to tell you this. You should give up on the notion that any movie or show "simulates" history in a faithful and realistic way. Everything is heavily fictionalized. There are reasons for this.
Firstly, a 100% historically accurate depiction of something is not possible, simply because there are no 100% correct, objective historical sources. Historical tradition is always biased and skewed through it's authors point of view. The same holds true for the research of historians like myself. It can only get very close to the "truth", but never be 100% accurate.
Secondly, movies and shows need to be fictionalized to make them entertaining to watch, simple as that. Certain source material needs more fictionalization, another needs less, but it always needs some.

>that feel when viviste lo que sucedio en la serie narcos
>tfw you live the series narcos ;_;

>never 100%

I get that. Still I felt that Narcos itself was very historical. It even hired the 2 DEA agents that were in Colombia at the time and were being filmed about. make the plot be at least 50% right. Which is pretty high in my opinion for any historical series/film.

Look at upper pics to say the show didn't try to have it as historically right as they could.

of course they tried. I don't know enought about modern Colombian history to make any judgement on how well they did it though.

The more recent the source material is, the easier it is of course to get it "more right".

I was hoping this show was actually about Marco Polo. Instead I got some weird pulp fiction, ninja assassin adventure shit.

It's ok tho.