No kaiju kïno General

>no kaiju kïno General

Let's fix that

Share Shin Godzilla experiences, theories, kaiju film predictions

I saw it at Busan film festival, it was quite autistic but I loved iT as did the audience

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4RuNGtiRhKw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Shin is such a fucking Anno classic it hurts.

The military hardware, the politics, the camera angles, the BLOOD, it was so Anno that I struggled to hide my powerlevel in front of the normies I went with who don't know I've watched Eva

I went in a big group, on the subway I was asking every single person 'have you seen Evangelion, it's the same guy who directed that' to try and start conversation, when they said no (they all said no) I just went "heh heh, it's an anime, it's pretty good...."

>Friday
>Closest theater that showed ShinG the past three days will no longer show it during the extended screening
God dammit, just close a screening for Madea. The movie has probably made its money and more back in the first day.

the shitty release is probably because funimation quite literally swooped in at the last minute for distribution. If I remember correctly, up until even after it debuted in Japan there was zero news on a western theatrical release. Seems Toho really dropped the ball on this one.

Watched it at the Tivoli in St. Louis. Shitload of Japanese immigrants, fans with Godzilla t-shirts, and kids with their parents. Theater was classy as fuck. Everybody had a blast.

>forgot to wear my godzilla shirt
>saw like 30 different godzilla shirts
feels bad man

>mfw I don't have a Godzilla t shirt

Whoever steps into the director's chair after Anno, whether sequel or not, has some serious expectations to live up to. Shin Godzilla was a well received, commercial juggernaut. Toho can't go back to the way things used to be. Next thing on the list is an anime film written by Urobuchi. We're in uncharted waters.

It's Reptar on Ice.

It'll be copied and homaged a dozen times until 10 years from now when everyone eventually agrees it's the best and will never be topped, just like Eva.

Is this you?
youtu.be/4RuNGtiRhKw

they probably weren't expecting it to be such a hit over here. All theater showings were sold out in my city and when they extended the showings those got sold out too.

Will the butthurt fans ever accept that this is Godzilla or will the fanbase forever be divided on this film? Most fans enjoy it and even normies appreciate it.

The same happened with GMK in 2001 which is now regarded as a classic and one of the best Godzilla movies. Shin Gojira puts GMK to shame, I think in 10 years time it'll be pretty much universally considered the best godzilla in terms of being a legitimate movie, along with 1954.

Do you think GMK holds up as a legitimately good film?

I love how Anno is just this unstoppable force of FUCK YOUR FANBASE

I also think the man is very interesting. Self hating nerd, goes through a depressive episode and churns out (mostly solid) gold by mixing his favorite shit with his personal problems, and its just this honest message that can speak to any NEET or lonely beta who wants to change.

Like shit, /r9k/ or /r/incel come off like they're reading from one of his scripts.

I mean, I don't exactly enjoy 3.33, there are hints of good themes that he could expand on, but most of those aren't even addressed and the movie comes off so shallow.

I just can't understand people how seriously people can hate anno and 3.33, I'm pretty sure he knows its shit, it put him into a year long depressive episode where all he did was voice act in the wind rises, apparently he didn't stop in at studio khara once in all of 2013.

I hate 3.33 because its a bad movie and about the only thing it does well is make one character's screentime more fleshed out (while making the significance of that character less somewhat), but some people take their hate way too far in order to distance themselves from Otaku or nerds or whatever and they become really bitter people honestly.

I mean, I would call it on the same level of being an actual artistically great film as Shin Gojira or 1954 but it's a good movie, easily one of the best Godzilla films. Good effects, decent acting and charaters, and an all around well made piece.

I haven't seen all the EVA rebuilds but it seems pretty clear to me that he's doing those for money, I don't think he's into it artistically. You can tell he actually had a passion and a great idea for something he wanted to do with Godzilla, which is great because when I first heard he was onboard I was worried they just grabbed him and offered big money. It seems to me like he was actually really into it and passionate.

he's a huge tokku nerd. I really wish he'd pick up a Kamen Rider project or even an Ultraman movie.

I'm hoping it's about a team of explorers on an alien planet inhabited by giant monsters. One of which is Godzilla, who fights the monsters.

I expect lots of the crew members to die too.

It would be different to see a version of Goji that isn't a product of human folly.

>powerlevel in front of the normies
What? NGE is one of the most popular anime there is

What do you guys think about Nacho Vigalondo's Colossal

seems fun desu

used to be, new generation of weebs have mostly never seen it. these are the weebs who grew up on naruto and bleach and only know about shounen classics and new anime.

Used to be. Anime has had a resurgence in mainstream popularity, but only through contemporary stuff like Attack on Titan.

NGE isn't on CR, so people generally don't know it or know it but haven't seen it.

underrated post

Anyone got some rare Kamatas?

Rebuilds are frustrating. There are fragments of ideas that would be really interesting. But the movies are either spending loads of time on spectacle or fanservice, and the one time it does slow down to a speed appropriate to the series is for the Kaworu relationship, which doesn't accomplish that much more than the original and lacks the bite of the original.

Shinji is improving, but he's like someone who's "made it" in /fit/'s idea of the mental state but then relapsing when what he was doing stopped working, and is now proactive, but super desperate to do something to keep the self-improvement train going, even if it hurts him in the long run.

Rei shows more emotion, and Asuka isn't insecure about her problems anymore, but 3.33 make Rei III into her own entity that's honestly closer to the original's Shinji than the God of Self-actualization that was OG Rei. Asuka in 3.33 is also bitter as fuck now, like if OG Asuka switched to hating other people instead of needing them for her ego. Misato now acts like her father &/or Gendo, bitter and driven, pushing people away.

I think it depends on where you are, what nerd crowds you're with. If Anime is a lake, Dragonball is floating in air above the surface like a balloon. Bebop, GITS, and other shows that were on toonami are like floating inner tubes. Big three shoenen are floating like ducks on the surface. Ghibli is literally an island.

Eva's like this really selfhating behemoth floating just below the surface. Doesn't help when the bona fide kino end of your series couldn't be broadcast on Toonami back then.

He didn't exploit girls' bodies though

Yeah, I might be a bit out of touch. I thought even normies with a very low power level would know what nge is, but you guys have a point

I don't know why people dislike 3.33 when it is undoubtedly the most interesting of the three so far. The first two, and especially 2.22, were a tedious tight-rope walk of "We're staying true to the anime, but we're also changing things up," whereas 3.33 just decided to do its own thing

also nice dubs

> Rebuild
The money Anno makes off Rebuild is supporting other projects and upcoming talent. I guess that means he cares about the industry. And Rebuild isn't that bad. Sure, the source material is significantly better. Though Rebuild is, at minimum, still solid entertainment with hints at what made the source material so great.

I still find it hard to believe that they don't know about considering how often its mentioned in "Best Anime" lists. Hell, I can search "anime shows" into google and NGE is one of the first five listed. Its not like its some kind of underground gem

Being an otaku and all, I'm sure slipping in a little titillation crossed the man's mind. Though Toho would have never allowed that in a Godzilla film.

Which is why I believe Japanese manga and anime still have hope.

If 20 years after Eva it's still dominating the whole media it's hopeless.

That is also why I have faith that if Godzilla has to go on they can find a way out of Anno's shadow

Slayers used to be extremely main stream and popular in the 90's anime circles, hardly ever find someone now that has even heard of it. Same thing with Tenchi and those come up all the time in lists of good anime. That's just the way things go, new generations latch on to what they like and they rarely venture into the classics or out of their comfort zones.

Eveything about how Shinji's treated feels too contrived, imo, its new but, ehh.

I flip flop daily on whether I think 4.0 should actually even exist. Would help alot if some sort of Shinji-less OVA happened that would fill in the gaps on the other characters. I LOVED the relationships between the problems the kids had and the ways the adults coped with those same problems.

There are alot of Reifags who feel like Rei got fucked over in 3.33 in particular, which to be honest is true, but I think they get more than a little conspiratorial. There's one dude on Sup Forums ( who I also ran into on r/evangelion while just googling stuff about anno, pretty sure the same guy very similar vindictive writing style who will rant ENDLESSELY about how 3.33 is nothing but pandering disgusting otaku trash and how if you don't agree with him on everything then apparently you're complicit in wispering in Anno's ear to give in to his Asukafaggotry and downplay Rei's importance. Then the threads just devolve into fandom wars and its kinda depressing. All *****-fags shitpost, low effort Asukafags post toilet.jpg, low effort Reifags post tranny.jpg, then people really start talking shit and insulting each other personally, or downplaying certain elements of each particular characters' character development just to shit on the other people who might relate with X or Y more out of personal experience. Its just kinda frustrating that for something so rooted in helping people get over depression can have a community thats so full of crabs in a bucket.

Thing is, he's not entirely wrong, a lot of the reason rebuild feels dumb is that most of the overarching existentialism is absent, which is a problem when that's where 95% of Rei's great character developement takes place. I think Anno only hates the Reifags who are into her for her initial subservience and much more up front soft side, instead of self actualization themes.

man, I love the rebuilds. I thnik 1 is ok, 2 has an ok first half and an amazing second half and 3 is amazing all around. It's weird to see people regard it as a bad movie, I just can't see it as bad. It's convoluted as fuck, but it's the most... Eva of the three. It's a whole different beast from the original show, of course, and it's not even a "modernization". It's more of an ostentation. Anno is a very passionate guy, of course those bring piles of money, but I think that to say the rebuilds are only for the money isn't really accurate.

I have some friends who hate the original run of Eva but love the rebuilds just for the spectacle. It's a weird thing to see. It's still Eva.

I also think it is fine and most of the "criticism" I see, is just fandom cancer and autism.

But I didnt like the new character at all. Nothing about her was appealing or interesting.

That gojira so thicc that del toro pointed a finger and said, "that kaiju is t h I c c. "

Sucks for you, I've seen it twice.

Although I was planning on seeing it tomorrow and I have to work. Ah well.

This, I felt like a pleb because I saw at least 10 different Godzilla shirts.

3 kinda shat all over several characters, had terrible CG designs for all the angels, had that stupid TTGL-tier ship, and had an exposition dump to get the meandering plot going again.

3 was sloppy as fuck and it was dumb how nobody told Shinji anything.

Everything in that film could have been avoided if the characters acted like normal human beings for five seconds. And why did Misato take so long to send someone after Shinji? She knew the location of Nerv and could probably guess Gendo was up to no good. And the film didn't really earn it's almost impact.

Misato was fucking garbage in 3, especially considering she was cheering Shinji on at the end of the second movie. Bad writing that was only there to create drama.

And I agree, I hated that we jumped from an offscreen impact to an attempted 4th impact.

all of the characters are government officials, where would he put in the exploitation?

enjoy these good discussion threads while it lasts. it wont be long until Sup Forums gets tired of seeing them and turns them into shitpost threads.

P. S.

i hope you anons take a good shower wear clean clothes to the movie when you go.

Who is the best kaiju and why is it Anguirus

It's a shit movie. You guys are watching it with rose colored glasses. Take those off and it's worse than the 2014 Godzilla.

wtf....... i hate shin godzilla now.............

I'm probably the only that here that likes Manda.

Cool, go watch Dr. Strange faggot.

TORRENT WHERE?!

Torrent never.
;_;

it's always hilarious to me that tbecause it had to be a guy in a suit, they made anguirus crawl on his hands and knees like a baby. What a fucking queer.

Hedorah a best.

>It would be different to see a version of Goji that isn't a product of human folly.
You mean like 2014 Goji?

>tfw it wasn't that kind of "personal service"

The rarest of all: physical

>still no torrent
>no screenings in Europe

I hate life.

Stand strong, brother. Believe in the Master Anno and his masterpiece shall come in due time.

cute
CUTE