Hot take: this album should have all the hype that neutral milk hotel has, and phil elverum should be a household name

hot take: this album should have all the hype that neutral milk hotel has, and phil elverum should be a household name

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=13vBLFtb7EU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's boring

The one pretty good album by a gay talentless hack named Phil. All his credibility went out the window with A Crow Looked at Me. His whiny pathetic numale voice is like a sad attempt at Elliot Smith karaoke

doesnt it? i feel like every white person age 13-25 has a phase where they were really into that album. nmh everyone "knows" but not as many were like really really into it.

great album but what does it have to do with this?

oh yeah, "it was hot we stayed in the water" is exactly like elliott smith (who by the way is shit). jackass

Not really a hot take, anyone without brain damage should agree
Nice b8 friendo

It's not bait, it's just someone who's tired of fanboys labeling phil as innovative or genius for pseudo-experimentation that doesn't sound good or flow well in context with the tracklisting, so many songs could have been cut from the glow pt 2 and you know I'm right

I roll my eyes every time I see someone trying to claim any music is better than ITAOTS.

Plebs, the lot of them

You're way wrong. The Glow pt 2 flows just about as good as any other album while also tackling so many different styles. And no song on the glow should be removed, if any song were taken off it would make the album worse. And Phil isn't really innovative but he's certainly very unique and definitely a genius

Only like 3 things are better than itaots, but there's still some stuff better than it

>And no song on the glow should be removed
I mean I love Moonchild and TMR and that shit but who are you kidding

So much this
Phil just wants to sound like Elliott but lacks the talent in songwriting and melodies to ever compete
His instrumentals are boring as fuck and all he has going for is lyrics (but since I don't care about lyrics at all, he's worthless to me as a musician)
Just write poetry... oh wait... your lyrics are actually garbage and would get laughed out by the rest of the literature community

why does this album get so much praise but pt. 1 is never mentioned?

im smirking now thinking about the plebs that dont understand itaots place among the immortal classics of human achievement

kek

except the only good records they made, no one talks about.

the glow pt. 2 is generic trash for people new to slightly-underground music, before they have discovered the elephant 6 collective.

ITAOTS' less intense older brother

why is that funny? it's a good song

youtube.com/watch?v=13vBLFtb7EU

it was hot we stayed in the water is pretty great in general, little bird flies into a big black cloud is good too

he looked like a stone

low IQ jeff mangum could never even think of making something as beautiful as the glow pt 2

It's like ItAOtS's better, noisier big brother.

>this album should have all the hype that neutral milk hotel has
it has it, tho
>and phil elverum should be a household name
he is

It's too sad

>they
but yeah no one cares about any microphones/mt eerie besides what p4k et al memed
it really shocks me how little people will step out of pre-approved lists and tastemaker's canons in the realm of fuckin indie music

You need to leave Sup Forums sometime.

People talk about a bunch of his albums. A customer at work was talking with me the other day about Singers.

It's only Sup Forums that gives a shit about p4k, and even then it's mostly preteens trying to be edgy. You should really stop paying attention to them.

>All his credibility went out the window with his twelfth album, released twenty years into his recording career
this, I can't believe people had been taking him seriously until now

>you know I'm right
Why do people say this as a last ditch hail mary when their arguments are awful?

Mount Eerie > Ocean Roar > The Glow pt. 2 > Dawn > Sauna > No Flashlight > IWH,WSITW > Clear Moon > Wind's Poem > DWMU > ACLAM > Lost Wisdom

am i the only one who loves pic related?

I bought the repress of the Mount Eerie s/t off of Phil when I went to see him, I imagine it's pretty bad if it's a digital remaster but has anyone heard it?

No, everyone loves that release, it's great

Sorry? Are you asking what it sounds like when you already own the thing?

I was going to play it once I get home from work but I was just wondering.

user wtf is this timeline?
You went to a ME show and bought the record, then went straight to work to shitpost on Sup Forums?
Am I dense?

No, I haven't had the time to listen to it yet.

this

Fuck you Lost Wisdom is great

>elliott smith (who by the way is shit)
No, that's your taste that's shit

Can someone please explain what makes Ocean Roar great? All of the longer tracks are long for the sake of being long, repeating without any arrangement or even dynamic progression throughout them (most specifically Pale Lights). Phil's other albums, for the most part, don't waste time or draw things out for no reason like on Ocean Roar. If there is something I'm missing, then I'd be happy to be proven wrong and enjoy the album more than I do

Ocean Roar might be better if it wasn't for the OSX DAW effects and preset drum loops. They sound fucking awful.

you're a brainlet, simple as that

examples of this?

9/10 album. Samurai sword isn't as bad as people say it is but The Moon is really annoying.
Way better than ITAOTS which is a 7/10 at best.
The rest of Phil's is great too. Especially love pic related

I've never heard anyone put down Samurai Sword, huh
>The Moon is really annoying.
wowzers. Have you heard all the other versions of it? the instrumental and the first song islands is great imo

>E6
You mean a bunch of garbage with like 2 or three good bands?

this guy knows what's up

You haven't heard anybody put down Samurai sword? I was under the impression it was universally hated.
as for the moon the instrumental is the issue. The saxophone or clarinet or whatever that drowns out his voice is terrible. The song is great other
Moon Sequel off Dawn is way better imo, in fact it's one of my favorite songs in general.. The alternate version on the deluxe edition of the glow is also good. (it might be the same version that's on song Islands vol 1 but I can't confirm that, I only have vol 2)

It's ITAOTS and OAI's backwash. He's clearly influenced, but not as talented. At least on this particular album. I do like some of the tracks though.

it's outside of here that's the problem, I don't give a shit what preteen fantanodrones think
maybe it's misdirected anger, maybe it's better that people have heard something of his rather than nothing, but I've never had a substantial conversation about his stuff with someone I didn't have to explicitly rec things to

Shouldn't that be younger brother?

I've heard SS mentioned plenty of times on Sup Forums and actually it's always been positive, I thought people loved it lol
Moo Sequel is gorgeous yeah, Dawn as a whole is one of his best and I really wish more of his stuff had that extreme wavery lo-fi production (Seven New Songs has it too)

Yes, thank you.

I was just saying that songs on Ocean Roar overstay their welcome, and that's not a usual thing that happens with Phil's music
I'm not a brainlet :(

you've never had a substantial conversation about his stuff because you've never left your basement you fucking manchild

yr very angry for no reason, I'm just talking about what I've experienced

i seriously hope you're not implying a track should be removed from tmr

(not true by the way)
Both albums are shit