/daily/ - chess edition

It's October 5th!

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

On the last episode of /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZgLtdgYDpAo&
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/hapshash_and_the_coloured_coat/featuring_the_human_host_and_the_heavy_metal_kids/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/julian-kytasty/black-sea-winds-the-kobzari-of-ukraine/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=PmSPPYG9dp4
rateyourmusic.com/list/I_AM_FISH/topheavy-albums/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

#memez

I wish I had gotten more into chess when I was younger

I remember arguing with my older chess teacher about Hannah Montana's character for some reason on the last day I saw him idk why

Hi /daily/!

Work felt weird. It's nice to be back in the "zone".

Kind of want to hear the new Liam Gallagher record now. It's probably shit.

i hope king krule delivers for me
that kurt vile album is so c00l

>maus
yes

cheese edition

halfway thru a chart? must be a new record for me
ask for any thoughts if you wanna i guess

do you have any thoughts?

i am completely vacuous today

Does /daily/ fuck with /rym/

/rym/ ain't nothing to fuck with.

hnng

/rym/ is very creepy desu

Hearing this and really liking it, it's pretty normal music as i wanted to hear, is somewaht slow and serious, so i can say i made a right choice by keeping it in my hard drive, there is a lite wall of sound as normally in shoegaze releases and yeah is quite enjoyable.

I don't know what should i play next :/

you know what im real happy about? the lack of british /daily/ posters. feels so good.

damn...

new library CDs oh yeeeee

true...
now if only something happened to puerto rico's internet connection..........

I couldn't find a /sqt/ so I'll hijack this thread.

What's a good cheap USB sound card that I can use with an active xlr mic?
Bonus points if it has 5mm input, but it's absolutely not essential.

Also, 2 moves to take material.

>yamir stops posting forever
really tickles my tangerines

>mfw those botched jobs of castles both white and black did
Either you keep all three pawns in their first line until midgame or don't even bother castling IMO

might fuck around and listen to a song

uhhh
horse C7

one day i'll quit again dont worry

it already did haha the cables that give everyone internet in my neighborhood got cut

Good writeup, pretty much exactly how I feel.

Don't.

None of the horses can move to C7.
Where else would be a good place to ask about sound cards?

i meant D7, oops. probably Sup Forums or the /prod/ general here on mu.

or go to nerdy audiophile/computer forums probably

The black horse is already on D7.
Do you mean D6? Because all that happens is that you both lose a knight.

/daily/ doesn't really talk about music hardware much, /prod/ on this board or /hpg/ on Sup Forums would be your best bet. Maybe try asking /csg/ on Sup Forums if you want really cheap - though going with XLR if you're going really cheap for the sound card seems a bit pointless.

Hi Sup Forums

Do you have sauce for the music in this video ?
youtube.com/watch?v=ZgLtdgYDpAo&

you can get a used presonus or if you're really cheap a behringer u-phoria um2

This album of songs attributed to Alfonso X sits slightly after the medievalist revival's heyday, and perhaps this accounts for the clean and tidy performances given here, especially with regard to the somewhat clinical recording. Lamandier brings agile embellishments to the winding, snaking melodies, giving a little kick to what might otherwise be heard as a sleepy set of tunes. Remarkably she performs all of her accompaniments herself, variously on harp, fiddle, and organ. Whilst the harp pieces are anodyne, the fiddled and especially the organ parts are particularly nice, with the clacking of keys providing some faintly percussive dancing rhythms to those performances where featured.

Alfonso el Sabio: Cantigas de Santa Maria (1981) by Esther Lamandier, recommneded by Letov

You still doing the albums with the hours tourney?

rec me album
i might listen to it

Scooter - No Time To Chill

>Wolfgang Dauner Quintet - The Oimels (1969)

A 1969 album that's more patently 60s than it is strictly psychedelic. Sure, it bears plenty of its hallmarks--odd key changes, some whimsical studio effects that may or may not be musique concrete, Barry Melton-esque guitar twang. Still, this comes across closer to the theme from I Dream of Genie with eastern touches in its deliciously dated compressed pop tones or some Traffic-like jazz rock...i.e. technically primitive jazz with a rock approach. Listen to the opener, "Baby I Don't Love You Anymore," and see how while they're all skilled as soloists with interesting ideas, there's no formal understanding of structure and they end up playing over each other.

That's not to say this isn't interesting. In fact, like many a relatively dull 60s psychedelic LP, there's at least one truly fresh, out-there idea, most notably the Miles Davis-Jimmy Smith-John Cage funhouse hybrid that is "Dig My Girl," which alone convinces me of this album's strength.
7/10

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/hapshash_and_the_coloured_coat/featuring_the_human_host_and_the_heavy_metal_kids/
Trust me, it's wild

i would NOT enjoy this

scooper - no time to dill

Scooter - no time to chill

>rateyourmusic.com/release/album/hapshash_and_the_coloured_coat/featuring_the_human_host_and_the_heavy_metal_kids/
"more interesting than good"-core also "lmao look at the release date"-core. pass

I see nothing wrong with those descriptions. Have you heard it?

yes, once, why would i listen to it twice?

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/julian-kytasty/black-sea-winds-the-kobzari-of-ukraine/
I even have my own rip of this in FLAC if you want it

user, how would I know what you've listened to or not?

Do you like meme house?
Eric Copeland - Goofballs

tripfag, why are you asking such stupid questions?

Rude

thats the joke yamir

Focusrite Scarlett Solo

I WAAANT YOU TO NEEED MEEEEEEEE

nerd
:{

NOT TO FEEEEEED MEEEEEEEEEEEE

m.youtube.com/watch?v=PmSPPYG9dp4

tfw you will never hear kantina live

noone knows what it's like

can i have one...

For fuck's sake you don't just ask him like that.

fuck off there's like 20 of them they can spare one

inside is yellow :)

you take the pawn with your knight and then if he doesn't see you take his rook and if he does you fork his rook and his queen and get the rook anyway on the next move, so you're, like, up the exchange, plus a pawn, man

Nxe5, that is

New Bum Tickley coming out next week, it's an extended version of Live at the Troubadour. Has (I Wanna) Testify, Lorca, Anonymous Preposition and Buzzin' Fly
There's also one for his funk period but who cares lol

Is this better than Kpop?

Actually, the article I read was mistaken. It's two albums, one with two sets and one with one set. And when you combine that with Live at the Troubadour 1969, you get his entire presence at that festival.

Only if I can fill up all the spaces. will post it again soon

:)

benis...

Mary Lee Roberts - Open Space 9 (1997)
>Electronic, Experimental
Spacious sounding computer generated electronic music with a narrative-driven compositional style. She does a great job exploring sounds and linking passages together rather than assembling a bunch of independent noises. The music evolves from wispy background drone to abrasive bleeps so you really have to focus on the music alone to get anywhere with it. Enjoyed it nonetheless.
7.0 /10

Jon Gibson - In Good Company
>Minimalism
Almost like a 'greatest hits' comp for minimalism, heh. Contains some great music and musicianship, but almost all the songs here are best explored elsewhere and the disc does not flow comprehensively at all. A grab bucket of minimalism.
6.5 /10

What's huge fucking power gap with lots of stuff between? Is it minimalism?

>w h o k I l l - tune-yards
Has some fun songs -- reminds me of a poppier version of cut by the slits but not as good
2.5/5
>fav song
Gangsta

>Health - health
Loud, noisy, and gave me anxiety. Pretty good listen. Don't remember who recced it to me, but thanks
3.5/5
>fav song
Don't remember off the top of my head, but I think it was triceratops or tabloid sores

I'm still looking for album RECs and Dogwander was the only one nice enough to oblige.

What are your favorite albums?

Don't really have any, but I mostly listen to hip-hop and folk pop. I enjoy pretty much any type of music except for harsh noise (which I can't really seem to get into)

Helios Creed - X-Rated Fairy Tales (1985)
>space rock, industrial rock

I got pretty much exactly what I expected here—a much lesser Chrome. The vocals of Damon Edge are missed here, he brought an infectious nervous energy to the band's sound that can't be recaptured here, making this album seem a bit more stilted and less organic. Creed carves out a really cool industrial, spacy sound, but it's not like the band hasn't carved out that same exact sound before.

2.5+

水曜日のカンパネラ - ジパング (2015)
>japanese hip hop, electronic

Not nearly as inventive or cool as Superman, a flaccid, trend-hopping release through and through. It touches on tropical house and trap, primarily, and it doesn't do either of these well, necessarily. It's competent, sure, but overly plain and unremarkable, and the rapping is generally fairly awful. When it moves away from hip hop and goes more into house territory, I like it quite a bit more, because the production itself is very good, even if the rest of this album's components don't work together to create a solidly cohesive product.

2.0+

Nathan Salsburg - Affirmed (2011)
>contemporary folk

Feel-good, cozy fall music. It's a standard primitivism-tinged album of solo guitar work, some vocals here and there, but primarily rooted in instrumentals. Doesn't reinvent the wheel, and frankly it's sometimes a bit tedious and meandering. Salsburg's playing is good enough to keep the whole thing entertaining though, and the whole thing has such an affable, enjoyable down-to-earth vibe to it that makes it emminently loveable and enjoyable. And it's only around thirty minutes, so that doesn't hurt.

3.0-

(1/2)

It's when I stopped posting for a couple months and didn't keep track of what I listened to or (gasp) rate them on rym.

(2/2)

Father's Children - Who's Gonna Save the World (2011)
>psychedelic soul

Damn near classic of a soul album lost to time. The real star of the show here is the hard-hitting, psychedelic instrumental work, dear lord. The fuzz guitar is prominent on nearly every track, and it is incredible. Fuzz guitar in soul/funk is a definite musical fetish of mine and these guys utilize it perfectly. The vocals aren't anything to write home about, they serve their purpose but this isn't a Curtis Mayfield/Aretha Franklin type deal where the major emphasis is put on the vocals. This is all about the banging instrumentals, and boy does it deliver.

Jimmie Spheeris - Isle of View (1971)
>singer/songwriter, folk pop

Firstly, Jimmie Spheeris is the brother of The Decline of Western Civilization/Wayne's World director Penelope Spheeris, so that's cool! The music here is kinda wimpy Simon & Garfunkel/Cat Stevens-type folk pop/rock, done well but without much conviction or pizzaz. Spheeris knows how to write a tune, but he doesn't know how to properly evoke the emotions his songs require, making this whole album seem a bit forced and unemotional. Pleasnt, though, surely.

2.5+

Tim Buckley - Dream Letter 1968

>didn't keep track of what I listened to or (gasp) rate them on rym.
wow fucking loser actually enjoying music without forcing yourself to put an arbitrary number on it ha

Try giving some of these a shot, though most are avant-memes rather than pop:
Tim Buckley - Goodbye and Hello
Ihor Cymbrows'kyj - Przyjdź aniele
Jim O'Rourke - Bad Timing
Judee Sill - Heart Food
Yarn - s/t (1992)
Yanka - Prodano!
Robbie Basho - Visions of the Country
Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day

yo did you hear about the new releases by Bum and the Ticklers? Three CDs worth of sets from the same festival the Live at the Troubadour CD came from.

rateyourmusic.com/list/I_AM_FISH/topheavy-albums/

help me out with this list,,,tryna make it a thing

If you're listening to jap hip-hop, you should give daoko a listen

Thanks

>you should give daoko a listen
will do, thanks!

And yes a lot of it was minimalism. I'm currently (still) working on a minimalism guide for RYM but I want it to be really good so I'm doing research, listening to tons of shit and tracing it's development and notable musicians/albums.
My record store dude is going to a huge book sale in the states and he said he'll pick me up anything he finds on minimalism. My library also has a few books I've been meaning to rent.

Fuck yeah I did, will probably buy the Venice Mating Call 2xCD. I hope they address the Lorca studio/live crossover tracks in the liner notes.

Luckily I came to my senses and realized that there's no point listening to music if other people don't know you heard it and gave it a 1/5

G'nite daily

lol ur mom is top heavy eheheh

>My record store dude is going to a huge book sale in the states and he said he'll pick me up anything he finds on minimalism
Please share I will listen

Oh I thought you meant minimalism reccs but books are even better

Remain in Light
Looking forward to the hate mail

You are right

Because the B-side has the atrocious Once In A Lifetime

Not sure where this lies on the irony scale, but that's just halfway through

sun bat her
most prog albums

for a while i was like 50% of the anti-Zappa threads on Sup Forums but I replied to myself on occasion to make it look more realistic good night

i fucking knew it