Siskel & Ebert - Blue Velvet Review

Who was in the wrong here?

youtube.com/watch?v=_uehfL60EA4

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CMg47ABzINw
youtube.com/watch?v=LSzP9YV3jbc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it was nice to see S+E. Hadn't seen them for a while

Ebert was more of a hack. Siskel was objectively the better critic, though more traditional.

on a related note
Mike and Jay are truly their inheritors

youtube.com/watch?v=CMg47ABzINw

who /siskel/ here?

I always forget that Ebert used to look like a fat lesbian.

Childhood is when you listen to Ebert

Adulthood is when you realize Siskel was right

Siskel was a normal dude that talking in common sense terms. Ebert was a pomo fruitbag faggot and complete phony without any legit insight.

>"The movie clearly and unmistakably gives us a character who understands the Bill of Rights, understands his legal responsibility as a police officer, and nevertheless takes retribution into his own hands. Sure, Scorpio is portrayed as the most vicious, perverted, warped monster we can imagine -- but that's part of the same stacked deck. The movie's moral position is fascist. No doubt about it."
Ebert was so bad at his job but with Siskel the banter made up for his shit reviews.

Ebert can't into Post-Irony

There was a great doc about them on 'flix. you should watch it.

>it's a ebert has to defend his giving 4/4 to triumph of the will so no one thinks he's a nazi review

Ebert has always had the bad habit of hating a movie that upset him, even if upsetting the viewer was the director's intention.

The man was a fucking hack who cared more about his feeling than whether or not a filmmaker did a good job of evoking the targeted emotions.

This is the same dumbass whose largest writing contribution to film was a rejected Russ Meyer screenplay.
Rejected. Russ Meyer. Screenplay.

Ebert went completely retarded on Blue Velvet and A Clockwork Orange, though Siskel didn't even like Breaking the Waves from what I remember; or heavily undervalued it.

>I got upset so the movie sucks
Nice critical analysis

Exactly what I've always hated about Ebert.

Is this some shitty On Cinema At The Cinema ripoff?

People don't fucking remember but the joke about Ebert for years was that he always gave positive reviews to "black" movies.

does anyone else remember that? Anything with a remotely black cast "IT'S GREAT"

I don't know, but here he is shutting down some SJWs.

youtube.com/watch?v=LSzP9YV3jbc

My mother would always joke that Siskel died because Ebert literally ate him alive because he got hungry.

Maybe that's why he was successful, he told the plebs which movies were fun.

He could easily say "It was fantastic. Unsettling, maybe, and it won't make you feel good, but fantastic."
No, he legitimately watched movies with a pleb's mind and said something more along the lines of "This movie was bad because it made me feel bad and the director should be ashamed of himself for making movies that hurt my feelings."

films of the year

1985: The Color Purple
1989: Do The Right Things
1992: Malcolm X
1994: Hoop Dreams
1997: Eve's Bayou
2001: Monster's Ball

>1994: Hoop Dreams
He said Hoop Dreams was the best film of the whole decade.

what a fucking retard

it's not even Spike Lee's best film

It's not even a Spike Lee film.

Both are retarded kikes and I'm glad they're dead so the true king can ascend to the throne.

oh fuck i was thinking of he got game lel

>Spike Lee
>good film
>ever

Plebs don't want to think they're plebs, if he said that they'd see it anyway and then they'd be the ones saying what you said, except then Ebert wouldn't have his cushy job.

I mean maybe you're right and he was sincere but I find it hard to believe he could make movies his career and honestly still be that much of a pleb, not to mention the fact that he had Siskel there to balance him out and give the show some legitimacy shows a certain level of self awareness about his appeal.

Will this replace half in the bag?

Did you really not like Do The Right Thing?

Showbusiness, including film criticism, is all about kissing the right asses and being in the right place at the right time.

Plebs are perfectly capable of being professional film critics, especially if they help put asses in seats.

Reminder again that Ebert's contribution to film was a Russ Meyer screenplay that Russ didn't think was good enough for one of his films.

Nope. Its entire atmosphere rubbed me the wrong way. Danny Aiello was good as always, but it wasn't enough to save Spike Lee's awful direction or much of the cast.

>that last point

True enough.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eve's Bayou

fucking LOL Ebert

total hack

>ebert thinks blue velvet is a comedy

Oh god how is this guy so famous ?

The problem with this board is that idiots take sarcasm literally and now actually like this stupid fuck unaware that it's a meme.

This guy considers Transformers high art.

>Transformers isn't high art
>>>/reddit/

Jesus Ebert was such a pleb it is jaw-dropping that he even had a career.

>it is jaw-dropping

well played good sir!

what a fuckin sjw fucekr

He had the grace and understanding to admit that as much as he hated it Freddie Got Fingered would almost certainly become a cult-classic and possibly even be considered culturally significant.

>this guy considers Transformers high art
citation needed