Do you guys wear ear protection when you go to a concert...

Do you guys wear ear protection when you go to a concert? Ever since getting tinnitus I can't imagine going to one without them.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Etymotic-High-Fidelity-Earplugs-Standard-Packaging/dp/B00RM6Q9XW?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00RM6Q9XW&th=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i wear earplugs for things like hardcore and skramz but most of the other stuff i go to isn't that loud

I still highly recommend you wear them to every concert. Trust me.

fuck no, i'm a god tier patrician

Yes. I didn't realize how loud concerts can be until I started working at music venues. It can be almost painful at times when the PA first gets sound going through it

tfw you stood next to a speaker at an of montreal and had ringing in just one ear for like a year
Bad feeling. Not worth it.

I do. I bought some musician ones from amazon. They're nice.

i don't leave my house at all

I don't go to concerts. I don't even listen to music, it's all too much honestly.
I just read sheet music and imagine it all. It's much nicer that way.

Depends. Some shows the sound is set up so well it doesn't hurt at all and others will destroy your hearing. Last show I wore them Primitive Man played and I felt like I could grasp the sound waves with my hand it was so loud.

here we go
stop making this thread

sound technicians who do this should be fired, they're probably deaf by that point anyway

Do you want a buttplug too?

To be fair, I was front and center but it was a small venue, probably 100 people tops. I can't imagine it being less harsh in the back though.

sure why not

Yes, when I remember to. I bought some musician ones from guitar center a while back and they actually make live sound better.

I just go to the bathroom and sit there for whole concert instead

yep. got tinnitus on my first proper concert back in 08. feels bad man

seriously, techs who can't set adequate sound levels need to be fired, they fucked up my hearing too. All it took was one gig

Lol pussies.

I'm going to a metal concert tonight without ear protection guys. You're scaring me

What the hell. Was it hardcore stuff? Cause it fortunately hasn't happened to me to the (normal?) gigs I've been to

Go to a walmart or something and just buy some in the pharmacy area. Cheap. Do it. I didn't know any better when I was younger so I went to and played shows and now I have it in my left ear so I keep a box of earplugs in my car at all times incase I ever end up at a loud venue.

every show Ive been to has been a very reasonable volume, and I didnt feel like I needed protection. pitchfork fest, wore plugs even tho volume was normal and fine. wore the same plugs too lollapalooza, ears were ringing like crazy that night. didnt last though

Any recc for types and brands? I don't wanna ruin the sound just less volume

>venue is known for hardcore
>they don't have a compressor

The Underground in Mesa Arizona. Fuck that place. What the fuck is wrong with them? I saw Hail the Sun and A Lot Like Birds there and the miget screamer fucked my ears up

this is a good point
well balanced sound systems can barely affect your ears, at Primavera this year I had no ringing in my ears for the entire time I was there - a week later at a club I had really bad ringing.

Please please please go get ear protections. Once you get tinnitus, I guarantee that you're gonna contemplate suicide and regret ever listen to music.

t. future tinnitus sufferer

w2c cheap but decent quality earphones that i don't have to do the shitty squeezy thing with and put them in my ears only to have them not actually block that much sound or be really uncomfortable and redoing it over and over again every night

t. doesn't go to concerts
Seriously, if you want to be able to enjoy music for your whole life, don't fuck up your ears at live shows because you think wearing ear protection makes you a pussy. That shit can get loud and tinnitus is no joke.

Why is it that timid nu-males who like to LARP as someone aggressive/intimidating online seem to listen to Swans a lot?

inb4 reddit brigades with

> C O M P L Y
> F O A M
> T I P S

He's also clearly never seen Swans live, that was the show I needed ear protection most. They maxed out the volume in a tiny venue, I saw Gira motion to the sound guy to give the vocals more volume and the sound guy looked down at his equipment and just shrugged, he was obviously already as high as he could go. I had earplugs in and it was still loud as hell. Great show though.

TheFitLife sells some on amazon for like $30. I have them and their great. You can still hear everything perfectly fine and keep your hearing.

i have these, can confirm theyre good.

I regret not using ear plugs for Devin Townsend, that was really painful and probably gave me hearing damage.

Tfw ruptured my eardrum years ago and now concerts hurt the fuck out of my ear and I have to wear earplugs at any concert

I was once at a concert where something went wrond and the bass got turned way the fuck loud. I'm talking like, every best was like a punch to the chest loud. It almost blew out my ears, I could feely eardrums getting that "close to bursting" sensation. it took them like 5 mins to fix too. That was fucked.

Of course. If my memory doesn't fail me, sound techs have to use them by law so as to not fuck up their hearing. So, the eay they mix it is set for someone wearing earplugs. No reason not to do so.

He's quoting Michael Gira talking about his band mates from the Seer documentary. Michael Gira doesn't use ear plugs, the rest of them do.

Anyone have experience with V-Moda Faders? Are they good? Can I do better for the price? Looking for something that’ll just bring the sound levels down without muffling much.

Jesus christ, that sounds horrifying.

Sometimes, depending on the show and the venue. I always bring earplugs just in case.

Didn't help that the concert was EBM, so the bass was plentiful and really deep. Still amazed it didn't fuck up my hearing maybe it was because I was only 17 at the time

Do you have a link? I play in a band alot and work in a venue and need something good

>going to a rave for the first time
>it's indoors

so I should have earplugs right

No, you should be getting butt plugs instead.

Will I need protection for a GY!BE concert?

I bring a bunch of earplugs to any gig, no matter how small it is, and I wear them for every band practice. I used to not take it seriously until my guitarist told me how he got tinnitus from a Sleep concert. Do not risk it.

Haven't used those specifically but I've been using various versions of these for years, which are the same price: amazon.com/Etymotic-High-Fidelity-Earplugs-Standard-Packaging/dp/B00RM6Q9XW?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00RM6Q9XW&th=1

And I'd trust Etymotic to have done actual acoustic testing and produced a decent product, a lot more than I'd trust a consumer headphones brand like V-moda. I've never done a side by side comparison though. The flanged eartips that come on the Etymotics are way better than those typical in ear dome tips on the V-Modas also.

The Etys sound decent, and much better than regular foam earplugs, but things are still muffled. I think there are expensive professional options that actually employ a mic and headphone-speaker element to give actual flat frequency response decibel reduction. Wish that was cheaper. I think there's a limit on how flat you can get your reduction without using some kind of active system like that.

I saw Dinosaur Jr. once, and that kind of volume was pretty much the entire show. I was right in the center front (drums and amps were right in front of me), and it felt like I was getting punched in the gut for an hour straight. Even with some industrialist earplugs in, they were still loud.

I felt very bad for the people that weren't expecting it. Dinosaur Jr. has always been known as a ridiculously loud band live, and fortunately most people put in earplugs. Desu, I have no idea why some bands feel the need to play that loud.