Top kek at all the jazz artists out there who wasted their lives practicing 8 hours a day and getting good at their...

top kek at all the jazz artists out there who wasted their lives practicing 8 hours a day and getting good at their instruments.

turns out you can become the most popular jazz artist in the world just by learning a couple blues scales as long as you play with a few popular rappers and then buy some goofy robes.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/75278325/#75278823
youtube.com/watch?v=HmroWIcCNUI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I like Kamasi but KEK

>he's bad because he's not complex

ugh, not this meme

Not every musician plays their instrument with the mindset of becoming famous, you autist.

What makes his music good?

Pro-tip: if you say
>because I like it
Or
>because it sounds good
I'm going to go ahead and laugh my way on our of this thread

I think Kamasi is approaching the spiritual side of jazz music more than he is technicality. Which in essence is more jazzy than most players today so laugh all you want but he understands that jazz is ever evolving and in doing so is not trying to meet this virtuosity performance requirement that many of you autistis think is required for playing jazz.

Kamasi has his own style, his own performance medium and his own audience. Plus I would give my right nut if Jazz music became popular again so I will sing the praises of all jazz artists that even remotely get a little bit of limelight.

What makes his music inherently spiritual?

what else would make music good? it's subjective

but I could also say the way his band(s) play and the vocals and production styles he incorporates

I mean the whole meme about him being simple only applies to Kasami's playing individually, unless someone has analyzed note by note all the interplay with his bands

Ignoring this likely talentless dude, Jazz has had something of a comeback in recent years and I think that's cool. Rock was the genre of choice to pull from if you wanted cool points back in the day, but now it seems more genres are interested in pulling from Jazz, which makes sense because Jazz has more harmonic/melodic possibilities

you cant be serious

The choir is the key contributor that makes me believe his music is trying to be spiritual. Just my opinion though. I don't know what happens in his mind.

hahahaha why are you even on this board? why do you even come here if this is what you really think?

you too

So any music with a choir is automatically "spiritual"? What about his tracks with no choir?

I mean, what else would the answer be man? There really is no objectivity to measuring music, and no, you REALLY REALLY believing in your opinion doesn't make it objective

what is wrong with what I said?

this.

His band plays together very well. I can ignore his playing but it's the orchestration of sounds and collective improvisation that I think is underlying in Kamasi's music.

I guess you're right. But I don't know. When I listen to A love Supreme or Journey in Satchindannada. When the music reaches this washing, movement where the players can contribute and add new ideas over and over in interesting ways that culminate into this one direction towards something. Peace, unity, love, the pursuance of a higher feeling. That's what makes me think of his music as spiritual.

I just don't understand why you would even come to this board if you really think
>I like thing because it's good
is the deepest level of discussion possible

not only that but you actively try to discourage people who are capabale from trying to discuss music on a deeper level.

It's not even funny anymore it's just sad.

this

nobody actually wants to discuss music anymore, they just want external approval of their tastes

There is no single factor in determining "objectively good" music but the multiple factors that go into making good music can be talked about and measures objectively.

there's no "deeper level"

understanding how music is composed doesn't magically give you superior taste

that's kind of why most jazz is so mediocre in the first place, because fans of the genre have this autistic obsession with technical complexity so they never think about any other component or innovation that could be made within the genre

Kasami is pushing jazz into new boundaries by fusing it with contemporary hip-hop and electronic stuff and all the old jazz elitists are butthurt because he isn't complex

funny because if you really value complexity, you should be listening to classical, not jazz

Nailed it user. I agree.

>pushing jazz into new boundaries
>by fusing it with electronic
>and hip hop
lollllllllllll

not an argument desu

>fans of the genre have this autistic obsession with technical complexity so they never think about any other component or innovation that could be made within the genre

hot user, but youre not doing neither

Come on man. We're trying to discuss the music. Don't just brush it off.
Tell us why you disagree dont' just post >lol

Understanding how music is composed gives you greater insight into music. Which makes you able to understand and discuss the factors that make music good.

That's the deeper level. Its sad that you think any discussion at that deeper level is just
>muh complexity

Kamasi didn't innovate any of those things at all. Listen to Herbie Hancock, Steve Coleman, Tim Berne and all of these artists were incorporating elements of electronics and/or hip hop into jazz when Kamasi was a child.

Your last point is idiotic because you seem to be assuming that people can't listen to both jazz and classical? I love both.

>Kasami is pushing jazz into new boundaries by fusing it with contemporary hip-hop and electronic stuff and all the old jazz elitists are butthurt because he isn't complex

do people actually think this?????

idk if hes more or less complex but he's boring af. if i want jazz then i can listen to greats like coltrane, and theres other modern guys right now who are better. working with flylo and kendrick is the only edge he has and even his listeners know that

Honestly it's stupid that we're even using the word "complexity" so much because that's not even really the issue.

Like you can play good jazz and not be all that complex but literally playing an entire solo within one blues scale is just repetitive, predictable, and I creative.

Like even rock guitarists are more creative.

*uncreative

do jazz snobs have literally ANY argument as to why Kasami's music isn't good besides "some of his solos aren't complex"?

Wow, user. You clearly have no understanding of jazz. If chops and complexity was all that mattered, then buddy rich would be the greatest jazz drummer of all time - but he's not. Musicality is what's most important, and Kasami isn't a particularly musical player. He's not an exceptional musician. Most exceptional jazz musicians innovate; the technological innovation and musical experimentation of Bitches Brew is what lead the album to garner ubiquitous acclaim. It's pretty ridiculous to excuse the ineptitude of a musically regressive MUSICIAN by arguing that he's pushing his genre of choice forward stylistically.

>He's not an exceptional musician.

how is he not?

Can anybody explain why Kamasi has been popping up here lately?
This is probably the most I've seen him here.

>transcribe and analyze multiple solos pointing out how harmonically limited and repetitive Kamasi's soloing is compared to literally EVERY other jazz musician

and yet I've never seen a single reason for Kamasi being good other than
>it sounds good lol
or
>you're an elitist snob if you don't like it

hmmm...

he just released a new album cover

Complexity has nothing to do with it. An improvising musician's goal is to be able to play whatever melodies you hear in your head, in real life. When you are just running up and down scales (in his case, just the blues scale), you are getting no emotional response from his playing, because he does not have musical freedom with his instrument and is restricted by the scale. Chet Baker didn't have the most complex solos, but he wasn't restricted by scales, he played whatever he felt. That is the difference

his management have paid to have the youtube recommendations algorithm mention him

Don't forget you're on Sup Forums. You could do a detailed transcription and analysis of every solo on the entire album and people here would take you more seriously if you just said
>it sounds bad

This. Idk why people on Sup Forums are so against anything that has to do with theory

Mention anything to do with scales, intervals, chords or even note names and everyone here just reduces it to
>muh complexity

Somebody recently posted a bunch of transcriptions of his solos showing that Kamasi basically only plays one scale per solo and hardly ever plays anything outside of that.

Sup Forums are the creationists of music

>He looks like Sun Ra reborn as a lineman: hulking but gentle, capable of thunderous cosmic wrath and meditative calm. His massive frame is swaddled in a long black tunic, medallions dangle from his neck, and a kaleidoscopic wooden skullcap protects a thick shrub of hair.

He's coming to my town this winter. I can get free tickets. Should I go?

No. Go see a local jazz musician or just stay home and watch the free live stream of whoever's playing at Smalls instead.

>"music critic"

cuz it's hard.

i mean, yes, theory gets pretty fucking tough except in arguably the classical period. baroque and romanticism + further gets pretty fucking complicated (not to mention jazz which is a whole nother story) and it's not very easy to learn by oneself

Doesnt need a choir my guy, listen to his solos from live at the echoplex with Thundercat, listen to the interplay they have with the band .

i know a few jazz professional musicians and they think he sucks lmao
i dont think musician should care anyways, they maybe just jelly of some jazz dude a'la Mac deMarco

I decided to look this guy up because of this thread and so far his stuff just feels underwhelming. I'll keep testing some more songs though

I think Kamasi is approaching the spiritual side of jazz music more than he is technicality. Which in essence is more jazzy than most players today so laugh all you want but he understands that jazz is ever evolving and in doing so is not trying to meet this virtuosity performance requirement that many of you autistis think is required for playing jazz.

Kamasi has his own style, his own performance medium and his own audience. Plus I would give my right nut if Jazz music became popular again so I will sing the praises of all jazz artists that even remotely get a little bit of limelight.I think Kamasi is approaching the spiritual side of jazz music more than he is technicality. Which in essence is more jazzy than most players today so laugh all you want but he understands that jazz is ever evolving and in doing so is not trying to meet this virtuosity performance requirement that many of you autistis think is required for playing jazz.

Kamasi has his own style, his own performance medium and his own audience. Plus I would give my right nut if Jazz music became popular again so I will sing the praises of all jazz artists that even remotely get a little bit of limelight.I think Kamasi is approaching the spiritual side of jazz music more than he is technicality. Which in essence is more jazzy than most players today so laugh all you want but he understands that jazz is ever evolving and in doing so is not trying to meet this virtuosity performance requirement that many of you autistis think is required for playing jazz.

Kamasi has his own style, his own performance medium and his own audience. Plus I would give my right nut if Jazz music became popular again so I will sing the praises of all jazz artists that even remotely get a little bit of limelight.

He's not evolving shit, people like Vijay Iyer are evolving the medium, not people making half-baked late 1960s Coltrane rip-offs for pop listeners.

>people like Vijay Iyer are evolving the medium,

lmao no. Vijay Iyer is trust fund baby starbucks-core. Besides cheesy hip hop beats in his music everything he does was done better in the original third stream wave of artists.

No they can't; that's still subjective.

lmao the Vijay Iyer namedrop isn't doing you any favors kid

>most popular
yeah maybe but peeps who are into jazz don't actually rate kamasi. so it's one of those cases where an artist kinda goes mainstream for a while... not sure what injustice you're going on about. kamasi seems like a chill dude and it's not like he's putting out shit or fucking people over.

Yeah, subjectivity is based on objectivity genius

but ultimately, it boils down to that question, if you like it, good, but you also have a point about discussing things
and sadly this is true as well

It's not a meme. Let me remind you of this thread:
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/75278325/#75278823

>Which in essence is more jazzy than most players today so laugh all you want but he understands that jazz is ever evolving
>Plus I would give my right nut if Jazz music became popular again
Wanting a liberating art form to become commercialized - that's your vision for the future of jazz? Progression of a kind, isn't it? And let me remind you that jazz was pop music until its departure from the swing and big band era. Do you remember what happened in the 80's? Smooth jazz, jazz pop and subsequently nu jazz. Is that your ideal?

I think Kamasi isn't that bad but holy shit you're a moron.

>kamasi washington: 900k views
>alex sipiagin: 21k views
JTG BLOWN THE FUCK OUT

I'm fine listening to my 2deep4u artists who play to 20 people. Jazz listeners are once again so butthurt that a guy like Washington is getting huge crowds. Who cares. Be glad that innovators can at least make some money in this day and age.

>understanding how music is composed doesn't magically give you superior taste
That's not why people decide to study music theory and compositional techniques. It's not for Sup Forums cred.

The essence of jazz is improvisation. Kamasi is really bad at improvisation, therefore he's a bad jazz musician. It's not complicated.

What is this bullshit about trust funds? Why does it seem like anytime someone doesn't like a jazz artist they accuse them of being a trust fund kid?

For one thing even if they have a huge trust fund, what does that have to do with the music? Miles Davis, probably the single best known jazz musician ever was basically a trust fund kid.

And two, is there any proof that Vijay Iyer has a trust fund? After googling it a little I can't find any proof of that anywhere?

^^^

It's just another way for Sup Forums to avoid talking about music at all costs and instead focus only on image.

Those posters should be ignored and laughed at.

Funny thing is that OP''s statement (and he's spamming this for a couple days) is completely wrong. Kamasi DOES NOT uses only pentatonic scales.

Where does the OP post say anything about Kamasi only playing pentatonic scales.

>An improvising musician's goal is to be able to play whatever melodies you hear in your head, in real life.
This is relatively easy to do. The really hard part is being able to even think of good melodies over some changes. Having the connection between your ear and instrument is only the first part.

>>it sounds good

better and more logical argument than "it's not complex"

>Kenny G has his own style, his own performance medium and his own audience. Plus I would give my right nut if Jazz music became popular again so I will sing the praises of all jazz artists that even remotely get a little bit of limelight.I think Kamasi is approaching the spiritual side of jazz music more than he is technicality. Which in essence is more jazzy than most players today so laugh all you want but he understands that jazz is ever evolving and in doing so is not trying to meet this virtuosity performance requirement that many of you autistis think is required for playing jazz.

>there's no "deeper level"
>understanding how music is composed doesn't magically give you superior taste
>that's kind of why most jazz is so mediocre in the first place, because fans of the genre have this autistic obsession with technical complexity so they never think about any other component or innovation that could be made within the genre

alright, you're getting somewhere

>Kasami is pushing jazz into new boundaries by fusing it with contemporary hip-hop and electronic stuff and all the old jazz elitists are butthurt because he isn't complex
>funny because if you really value complexity, you should be listening to classical, not jazz

huge farting noise

Kenny G is a wayyy better saxophonist than Kamasi Washington and even a lot of his worst stuff is still better than the majority of The Epic

youtube.com/watch?v=HmroWIcCNUI
watch the fuck out here's some actually good music whoa

So what happens when someone says "it sounds bad"?

That doesn't make any sense.

>"it's not complex"
Please point out somewhere in the thread where anybody has said that the epic is bad because "it's not complex"

>So what happens when someone says "it sounds bad"?
>Those posters should be ignored and laughed at.

So
>it sounds good
is the ultimate praise you can give an album and is a more valuable assessment than in-depth theoretical analysis but people who post
>it sounds bad
should be ignored and laughed at?

I just quoted a guy, how are you coming to these conclusions? Both of those statements are obviously trivial and should be ignored.

Well no shit. My original question was addressed to this guy who apparently thinks
>it sounds good
is meaningful

That look on his face. It's like this guy hates his job and is desperately trying to think of scales to toot out so he can get paid.

It's implicit

The funny thing is this statement is completely wrong. 2+2 DOES NOT equal 17. It equals 4. Haha what a fucking dumb dumb.

Are you retarded?

Feels good to like the music I like and not need approval points from the most autistic shut-ins in the world.

Nope. Just illustrating how retarded it is to argue against idiotic "implicit" arguments (which in fact were not implicit at all)

There will never be another Bird.

jtg has made everyone on this board a pathetic jazz snob. Kamasi isn't bad at all and is very good at what he does. No other jazz musician is doing what he's doing.

nah, I was a jazz musician before I came and while Kamasi deserves the fame and is a good player, I don't necessarily like the jazz he makes, I feel like he's trying to mash together too many genres at once. He's just never done anything that I PERSONALLY liked.

LMAOing at all of these posts, the real verdict will come when SCARUFFI rates his album

Scaruffi didn't include The Epic on his best jazz of 2016

>very good at what he does
lol this is the most meaningless shit. I'm very good at what I do which is blowing loads into tissues, think I can sell a million albums this year?

Well the there you go, The Epic is bad.

/thread

If anything this board needs way more elitism or snobbery or whatever you want to call it. Also if you think jtg is a snob then you're a total pleb. He likes the blandest gayest shit.