I have a PhD in molecular biology with focus on stem cell biology. Ask me anything

I have a PhD in molecular biology with focus on stem cell biology. Ask me anything.

>bioLOGy

Why is OP a faggot?

what the fuck are you doing wasting your life of a cesspool like Sup Forums?

not your personal army, faggot..

How much longer until you give up on finding a real job and start sucking dick for money?

No one on this board understands that enough to ask you anything on the subject. But what made you want to pursue that field?

How far are we away from successfully connecting nerve ends to one another?

What do you think about CRISPR?

How well is Abiogenesis understood? The general public has a very poor understanding on it and many straight up deny it.

Per definition.

It's not like I have my shit together or something.

Soon. Get your dick ready.

>But what made you want to pursue that field?

33.3% interest, 33.3% lazyness, 33.3% stupidity

How does God animate non living molecules to do His work?

Why is Donald Trump the best President of all time?

OMG OP PLEASE RESPOND THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR haha

I just completed my masters in molecualr biology.

I'm about 3 years late on it because I'm a piece of shit and didn't complete my thesis and was adament about not doing the non-thesis option.

In any case, I dont know what to do with my life.

I would really like to continue my education but I feel like I dont know if I would be successful in the field...

Having weasted a lot of time not completing my maters I feel like I could've been near finished my PhD by now if i had just focused and not slacked.

Ive considered PhD MD's but thats so much schooling.

Debating just trying for an MD?

How hard is it to be successful with a PhD in your field?

I have a true passion for research...I just read so much literature and think I dont have the mental capacity to come up with novel ideas for conducting good research

>How far are we away from successfully connecting nerve ends to one another?

When it comes to e.g. spinal cord injuries, fibrosis and inflammation are the big problem. If this problem is out of the way, it might be quite easy to connect nerve ends - the challenge is connecting nerve ends in a meaningful way.

>What do you think about CRISPR?

Makes gene editing much much easier and already had a big impact on the lab (when it comes e.g. to genetically modifying cells or animals). Clinically, the relevance must be shown, especially when it comes to in situ use.

Is it worth trying to get into PhD programs?

Or should I look to start some entry level research somewhere? (Most plaaes ask for PhD and not just Masters)

Did you have to pay for your PhD or did you get assistance/stipdends through your program?

Where did you attend.

what are you doing on this degenerate Sup Forumsoard. I call bullshit OP, you retarded cunt. How did you fuck up so hard that you feel the need to attention whore yourself on a website that is filled with weeaboo faggots nowadays? Also: Why does Sup Forums suck nowadays. INB4 HURRDURR Sup Forums was never good, dont give me that shit OP

>In any case, I dont know what to do with my life.

Honestly, don't do a PhD. If I had the choice again, I would have looked for a job after the Masters.

>How hard is it to be successful with a PhD in your field?

There is a huge oversupply of bio* PhDs. I'm currently looking for a job myself.

>I have a true passion for research...I just read so much literature and think I dont have the mental capacity to come up with novel ideas for conducting good research

This does not compute with your thesis being late!?

Yeah idk I got easily discouraged // got a job teaching and just stopped going to finish my thesis for a while. thatand gf and just didnt do it

okay, he's a question, why should I care?

>Is it worth trying to get into PhD programs?

From my own experience: It was fun but it didn't provide career opportunities.

>Or should I look to start some entry level research somewhere? (Most plaaes ask for PhD and not just Masters)

Yes. The reason why many places ask for a PhD for every shit job is because nearly everybody in the field has a PhD. The competition does not get lighter at the PhD level.

>Did you have to pay for your PhD or did you get assistance/stipdends through your program?

It's a paid position (more specifically, the teaching etc. you have to do is paid).

>Where did you attend.

Big university in Germany.

op how come andys loaf makes daddy so wet?

I’m an environmental science major and all of the biology classes I’ve taken say that organic compounds were likely created in volcanic explosions and these compounds formed all of the life on earth. Is there anything that you learn in higher levels that makes this make more sense? How can an explosion of inorganic matter create organic matter? I’ve only taken 300 level bio classes but nothing that we’ve covered makes this sound like it could actually happen

Theres a lot of positions and research where I am from here in NJ.

I was trying to get a position with a company in regenerative medicine. But a lot of the positions are operator positions, whereas I would like to do research.

I just hop my MS will be productive. I am from NJ

but 100% of the reason was to remember the name, right?

First of all: this has nothing to do with biology but is pure organic chemistry. Second: it has been shown using by Miller + Urey using an extremely simple set up. Therefore: it is undisputed in the field of chemical evolution that complex organic compounds (amino acids, nucleic acids, carbohydrates) can be synthesized in nature. The question is where this synthesis occurred and which compounds where available which is then linked to different hypothesis about the first self-replicating molecules (RNA world, RNA-peptide coevulation, PAH world etc.)

not OP, but I too have a PhD in molecular biology. ( i studies the cancer). i finished my post doc last year at a very prestigious NCI designated cancer center and got recruited for a tenure track faculty pos at a T1 research University.

Point of the story: I am considered smart by colleagues and i am internationally known in my field, though I can count my friends on one hand. As each day passes, the urge to kill myself increases multiplicatively

OP here. Stop whining you fuck - at least you have a TT position. I currently work minimum wage hoping to find something in the field.

>this has nothing to do with biology but is pure organic chemistry

you should call logan paul. he's here for you bro.

I'm not trying to be whiny; and if anything, my post should brighten your day or give you a small measure of solidarity

i'd rather light myself on fire i think...

Funny how my actual molecular biology question was ignored...

What was it?

Name two methods for unambiguously qualifying a human's gender. And no, this isn't an invitation for some diatribe on mental illness

Can u make some lsd???

I'll give you one OP: barr bodies
you give me another

From the top of my head? No. With a look in the literature? Yes

gender refers to the "software" manifestation of your sex. you cant unambiguously qualify someone's gender, it is inherently ambiguous.

You are talking about human sex type. There are many ways to determine someones sex type with different levels of accuracy. From gene expression analysis (e.g. XIST expression), to karyotype analysis, through anatomy (presence of gonads and their related organs). Of course, since there are so many 0.X% of intersex individuals, they will never be 100% accurate but they are pretty fucking close.

what do you know about this new drug that helps decayed teeth rejuvenate?

my question was
But because im not a molecular biologist, it might not bee 100% on topic.

What is the powerhouse of the cell?

probably the biggest, baddest black guy.

Abiogenesis is a theoretical biological process is more well understood than abiogenesis as a theoretical process. There are many good models of how complex organic molecules can be synthesized in an anorganic earth and how those molecules can form self-replicating structures and then protocells. However, these models differ in certain details like where abiogenesis began (you probably heard about the hypothesis that hydrothermal vents are good places for abiogenesis) to which molecules were initially present and thus how the first self-replicating structures looked like (are they proteins, RNA, something else) etc.

How far are they off fixing my chronic itch caused by over active immune system and maby allot other things they don't know about. Imume supressors etc dont work.

what was your thesis on? im a 1st year grad student in a PhD program currently. how much do you feel like you wasted your life?

organic molecules coming from none organic materials is what i ment by it.
And by the question i ment how confident of the truthfulness are the leading scientists researching it? Is there a consesus of any kind or is it just guesses and unverified results?

Do you think stem cells have the potential to help fight cancer, or will it promote cancer growth?

Did Rosalind Franklin deserve the 1962 Nobel Prize for her work on photographing DNA B?

How far away are we from potential zombie viruses being created as a weapon?.....asking for a friend

How promising is Crispr? Will we be able to extend our lives to 200 yo?

>organic molecules coming from none organic materials is what i ment by it.

As I said above, the Urey-Miller experiment was a super simple setup and showed convincingly that you can get simple organic molecules from in organic sources. Likewise, organic synthesis from inorganic substrates occurs millionfold in labs all over world each day.

so basically it IS well understood and accepted within the scientific community?

I don't see any direct application for stem cells in situ to fight cancer right now. On the other hand, it has become clear that tumours are incredibly complex multi-cell population tissues which have some stem cell like cells which oftentimes escape chemotherapy.

Is it likely that Ill see CRISPR in action on humans within my lifetime (60 years)?

She was dead at that time.

Yes.

Yes.

Physiology Master's here. Sold my soul to the dark side instead of staying in academics.

What's your take on dieting and/or fasting specifically to reduce cellular proliferation, aimed at increasing lifespan?

How do you feel about harvesting fetuses?

sooooo when are you going to start curing diseases

What was your GPA (NC) ?

Do you by chance study in Konstanz ?

Immortality when?

fetuses? you guys want fetuses, I can get you fetuses.

like cartman, I'll bring them in by the truckload, but they're not free.

How far away are we from potential zombie viruses being created as a weapon?.....asking for a friend

The lifespan extending effects have a good theoretical basis and experiments in C. elegant and mice looked promising. However, as far as I remember, pilot studies in non-human primates found no effect.

No problem with that. But doesn't happen often. That fetuses have any particular value in stem cell research is a misconception.

Had a 1.1 Abitur, 15 points in Bachelors and a straight A in Masters. Never been to Konstanz.

What were the admission requirements for the bachelor ?

Is IQ heritable?

Research nature v nurture

NC was at 1.4 I think. But that was 10 years ago.

I've heard that the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell. Is this true?

What about the twin studies that show that IQ is heritable?

Do you know your IQ ?

Whats your opion on weeeeeed

When can we become super mutants.

IQ is nature + nurture. Heritable but only to some extend.

Nope.

With a 1.1 in the Abitur school was a breeze? Or did you ve to learn a lot for school ?

Why do my my fingers smell like poo?

Define "zombie". Rabies is already a thing which gets relatively close

No. It was pretty easy.

What were your AP classes ?

What's your opinion on Ted Kaczynski?

Walking dead esque

Biology and chemistry.

How is a typical day in the lab ? Do you spend most of your time in the lab ? Is labwork a meme ?

He has too many consonants in his name.

Bangtown USA is your residence or place of birth?

That's deep.

I'm out of the lab and currently job hunting while working minimum wage.

Who did 7/11?

Would you ve rather been a code monkey instead of now job hunting ?

Can you make me a rat please

did you attend at the university of heidelberg?