Did Sup Forums went to college?

Did Sup Forums went to college?

How was it? Would you say that movies and other forms of media depicting the process of college have it accurately represented? Or are we tricked into getting massive amounts of debt with the promise of fun times and later landing a good job?

What are you even asking? College was just a lot of going to class, taking notes, studying and then tests. I didn't live on campus though so I probably missed the partying aspect.
Only go to college if you're going engineering, science, medicine, law, etc.

Don’t even need to live on campus for those degreees. Look:at you bettter when you spend more time on the job than at work

>go away to school as a junior, age 22
>be social autism
>make no friends but have fun by self exploring the town and solitary stuff
>graduate and move home and kind of still be a neet
>have a lot of money saved up from living with parents for a long time so the debt isnt an issue

overall 8/10 experience

I went to college at the age of 27. I also tried at 19 and lasted 2 semesters. At 27 I got my b.s. in comp sci. Though it was the general credits that made it worthwhile. Education, if desired, is amazing. If your doing it for any other reason then your throwing time and money away. Become more educated for you because you desire it.

For background, I got a history degree with the intention of becoming a professor. Was very badly misled by the admissions advisors and such as to the career prospects of that, and what I do now (fiction editor) is in no way helped by my degree. Pretty bitter about it, so probably somewhat biased.

Lots of drinking, good bit of sex (less than movies make out), good bit of drugs (less than movies make out). Was fun, but less fun than I had just doing shit with people in my area when I graduated. Certainly don't go for the parties - getting drunk and high and fucking strangers is literally the easiest possible thing to do.

If you need the degree to do something in particular with the piece of paper (eg you want to be an engineer or teach school etc) then go. If you want to study something you can't learn from a book (eg experimental physics, biomechanics) then go. If you just want to learn about something that doesn't require a degree to do like history, math, english, coding, etc., don't go. Books are cheap.

In other words, go if you have a very specific purpose in being there and a very clear plan as to how best to serve that purpose. Most people should not go imo.

College isn't for everyone and if it is for you it's what you make of it. That's true for both the social and academic aspects. If you constantly skip class to go get high or do something really stupid like majoring in gender studies you won't get much out of it. But if you put in the marginal amount of work you need to earn a degree in something that isn't a complete waste and take the time to fuck around a little it's a pretty good experience overall.

Also, talking from experience here in terms of the workload, don't go on to a graduate/professional program unless you're determined to pursue a career in that field. Those are a lot more work and a lot less fun. You're basically running yourself ragged for three or four years.

>any other reason is a waste
This, for sure. I went when I was 16 because my high school had it as an option.
I did great first semester, all As bar one.
Second, the loneliness started to set in; I didn't make any friends in the year because autism. Failed one class.
Third semester, I became super depressed, stopped going at all because it felt terrible, and I really didn't have a grasp on what I wanted to do after high school.
Don't go if you're not ready for it, and be sure to be ready for it.

Also, being the same age as others in your classes helps (although my one buddy third semester was 27 or so)

Spent 5 years in college at two different universities.

The stereotypical college stuff (crazy parties, drinking, drugs, sex etc....) is definetly a part of it(I was partying 6 days a week for a couple years) but there’s a lot more to it.

Overall I’d say it was worth it. I definetly have a better job than I would have without my degree, and I got exposed to a lot of different people and ideas.

comp sci major
I stay in my room all day and game when I'm not cramming for tests at the last minute
movies and other media are wildly inaccurate. been to 1 party with a few close friends, got mildly drunk, and had a fun night out but nothing crazy.
have scholarship so debt not a problem but if you do get debt, go into a stem field and it should work out

Went to a ny state school for engineering. Technically was a commuter, but I pretty much hobo'd it up in my friend's dorms/sweets.
Media depicts liberal arts private schools, and they hyperbole a lot. Don't expect it, especially if you're going for STEM.
You should end up making lifelong friends in college though. Go to clubs and hang out classmates if you can.

16? how the hell did you go to college when you were 16?
was this a magnet school by any chance?

I'm in college now. I go to class to learn about what I love then get to spend the rest of the time living with my best friends, using a great on-campus gym, having clubs and events full of cool people, and staying in a pretty nice apartment in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the US. I also have a scholarship that pays for everything and get experience doing research with professors, so it's a pretty good deal for me.
I went to tons of parties and stuff my freshman year, but I'm going into the second semester of my junior year now and all my friends kinda figured out that was usually a waste of time, so we get drunk hanging out in our own apartments or at small parties our friends throw. Only freshmen and frat guys who will do anything to fuck freshmen go to the massive, loud parties you see in movies.
It's definitely a good experience for me but I'm also pretty far from the usual autist on this austro-hungarian kite-racing imageboard.

No. It was only a couple years ago, and the state of Washington has a program called running start where high schoolers can go to college. I thought (honestly still do) think I'm pretty smart, so I went for it, but so got my ads kicked.
Didn't help that I live an hour away from the uni though

*I got my ass kicked*

fucking hell. I did the same thing but in texas.
went to college when I was 16. Lived on campus and everything.
thought you might have been from my school.

Nah. I'd have loved to live on campus though, it would have saved so much time, and I'd likely have a degree by now.

well good luck. Since you made it in that school you're already ahead of most people.

>be 18
>Community college
>do fine
>be 19
>crash car
>be 20
>still getting degree
>work 10 hour days to pay school
>fail hard 3rd semester because work
>get new car
>be 21
>paying off car loan