I CANT GET THAT SOUND YOU MAKE OUT OF MY HEAD

DON'T LET THAT STOP YOOOOOOOOOOU
TELL THEM ANYWAY

fpwp

what album to start with for this band

Perfect from now On is their only good album tbqhwy

Would be a 10/10 if you cut out Kicked it in the Sun

kys

bts lack the raw emotion mm has. although they have more interesting arrangements, modest mouse sound like an actually raw rock band, whilst bts are a studio band who's music has technically more in common with avicci than tvu. yuck.

I hardly come to Sup Forums but do people here like Modest Mouse? They're probably my favorite band of all time

listening to first track now

will report back in a few mins

shit better be good boyos, i heart too much about these faggots on this board

early good, late bad

I love both, but I've liked Modest Mouse longer

this is bait

the second track is the best imo

please leave

they used to get posted a ton with lots of respect but as of late no one really bothers discussing them except to shit on their recent stuff

Samefag here. I wouldn't say the new stuff is bad. Just isn't as good. They peaked at GNFPWLBN

EVERY THOUSAND YEARS

>They peaked at GNFPWLBN

Well I'm happy to hear the consensus is that this board likes them overall. I've been very passionate about their music since I was a kid. They've helped me alot growing up with their powerful yet relatable music

What album was your favorite then? I loved every single song on Good News. The Lonesome Crowded West is a close second

yeah this album is a lot better and it's obvious. i've never heard anything by this band until just now. been skimming the two recommended albums.

band doesn't have the character or deepcut indie aesthetic of modest mouse. bit too generic in its influences but still quite good.

none of these songs can hang with a song like dramamine. few mid-late 90s indie tunes can desu. i get that MM became a meme in the early 2000s and beyond but not much could fuck with their earlier shit.

Long Ride for me desu senpai

t. music illiterate

I think The Moon and Antarctica is their best work overall. I love the spacey, desolate atmosphere and it probably has Isaac's strongest lyrics. LCW is an extremely close second and I think is one of the best ""punk"" albums ever made. TM&A just has more to offer sonicly imo

>Modest Mouse
This Is A Long Drive 7/10
The Lonesome Crowded West 7/10
The Moon and Antarctica 6.5/10
Good News For People Who Love Bad News 6.5/10
We Were Dead 5.5/10

>Built to Spill
Ultimate Alternative Wavers 7/10
There's Nothing Wrong With Love 5/10
Perfect From Now On 8.5/10
Keep It Like A Secret 7/10
Live 7/10
Ancient Melodies of the Future 6.5/10
You In Reverse 7/10

/thread

> tfw no mention Building Nothing out of Something

There's Nothing Wrong With Love is a solid 7 all day. It sounds like it was produced at some crackhead's home studio but that's part of the charm.

It's a B-side collection. Good stuff though. 'Broke' is one of my top 5 Modest Mouse.

Built to Spill is just a warmer version of Modest Mouse

this

t. member of built to spill

>people actually think that's the best bts record

t. has barely listened to modest mouse

I can't even fathom the connection other than they're two alternative sounding indie bands who peaked in the mid to late 90's.

There are people who think that this isn't their best release? kek

They were (Modest Mouse does not exist anymore. Brock has been switched with a clone that is incapable of writing good music.)

On a good day they kick ass live still, I think they still have the capability to put out another classic if they move in a new direction

Built to Spill covers a lot of songs

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2enqZqBMl3Db3eH8BTzLIIM6aPyjHk_D

I've listened to all of Modest Mouse and think they're great.

>they dont scream like isaac so its emotionless like avicci
lmao

>at Built to Spill concert
>in the middle of a jam
>Doug hands you the guitar

would you shit the bed, Sup Forums?

youtube.com/watch?v=Nq9oSh3DXPI

>i've never heard anything by this band until just now
>none of these songs can hang with a song like dramamine
Wow you're pretty stupid
I think this thread is also pretty stupid because BTS and MM aren't even really that similar but if you haven't listened to them don't pull Pitchfork-tier criticisms out of your ass just to sound smart. ""deepcut indie aesthetic"" lmao this is maybe the hack-iest post I've read all week

>bts lack the raw emotion mm has

SeeBuilt to spill aren't bad by any means but MM do their whole thing but better in every regard, it's unfortunate for them but it is what it is.

Also fuck it I'll say it. Brock's lyrical writing quality hasn't decreases at all from the first album to the latest. The only thing that's different is a more poppy upbeat sound on about 2/5 f
Of tracks since Good news. Every album has amazing aggressive sound and the same signature style of Brock's lyrics but people are so caught up with "old non-mainstream is better" mentality that they refuse to say different to keep up false hipster cred.

I love all MM's stuff and think their new stuff is better than a lot of people make it out to be, but I would respectfully disagree with this. Isaac is still a great lyricist and songwriter, but nothing after Good News really cuts deep. It's all very clever, but nothing is as intensely relate-able as stuff on Long Drive, M&A, and particularly The Lonesome Crowded West.

I would say that up to Strangers. We Wete Dead and Good News are great, but STO is just weak and boring for almost all of it. Ground walks and sugar boats are awesome though

I understand your view. And I guess lyrical interpretation is subjective, but to me we were dead and No One's first showed an evolution of writing became much more bitter than before. Sorta like the difference between say, teeth like gods shoeshine and Ocean breathes salty. The bitterness was always there but it escalated. I would consider the beginning of Bitter Mouse to start at What people are made of amd escalate from there. Isaacs new style of vocals post Good news can make it a bit difficult to hear though

how can you possibly hear songs like Velvet Waltz and Broken Chairs and think Modest mouse is better

youtube.com/watch?v=HZrGGfDdxkI

my god yeah. that would be stressful as fuck

This would be like if Messi subbed you on for him. I'd just start finger picking C and G lol