Stop! Immortal son...

>Stop! Immortal son... You can save me in a nano-second but it will be better for your psyche and the overall plot if you watch me die.

>You can save me in a nano-second

No he couldn't

This. Because he didn't really develop his powers until that 5 minutes after Zod showed up.

FASTER THAN A SPEEDING BULLET

He fucking reversed time by circling the global faster than light, you fucktard. Learn2supermanskills.

People who post this probably never seen E.T.

Different Superman, moron.

We're dealing with a flawed, relatable, realistic, non mary sue incarnation here.

>snyder's superman
>relatable

>lifted a bus underwater as a teen
>but powers didnt develop
lolk

The tornado was blocking the sun so he didn't have enough juice to save his dad

Compared to what Supes is capable of doing no he really didn't develop his powers much at all. Lifting is a bus as a teen wouldn't even register on the scale

Since Sup Forums doesn't read comics

Pa Kent in the comics is the number one reason why Superman isn't a tyrant. He teaches superman to use his powers for good, but only if people want to be saved. You don't save people who don't want to be saved or don't want your help.

Combine what Jor-El wanted and what Pa Kent wanted and you get a Superman who was sent to Earth to save humanity, but first he has to earn their trust so that they *want* to be saved by Superman.

The play on this in MOS (the best superhero movie) is that Pa Kent didn't want his son to use his powers, but knows that one day he would. As a result, his last moment with his kid is to teach him restraint. Don't save those who don't wish to be saved.

But then again I don't expect Sup Forums to know this, so how would you write a scene that gets that message from Pa Kent to Superman that isn't the tornado?

It's retarded cause if Clark had gotten the dog instead he could have just jogged at normal speed and everything would have been okay

What's the bad news? Space aids?

>posting a page from a story where his body has been supercharged beyond his regular limits

Asshole.

So pa Kent was suicidal

That's what your post is implying

Yes, Lex Luthor engineered a plot to overload Superman's cells with unique solar radiation which while it makes him more powerful is causing him to undergo irreversible cellular breakdown

Isn't Superman's whole deal to put his life on the line for people regardless of the challenge?

I wonder who he got it from

>200 quintillion tons

that literally dosent matter. im saying if he could lift a bus as a teen, he could have saved his dad no problem

The original point was saying he could do it in a nano-second which he clearly couldn't at that time and it seemed like you were disagreeing with that

>superman
>relatable

suicide by tornado lol

A reminder that a billionaire playboy philanthropist who has mastered several martial arts and is a genius detective is relatable but Superman is not.

Cuz reasons.

superman is, by definition, not relatable because hes literally God.

>You will never be a near-omnipotent, immortal super intelligent all powerful alpha male capable of doing literally anything you want for all time
>You will never know how it feels to be this smug

So you quibbled to make it seem like the entire assertion was incorrect.

Superman is Jesus, not God, don't drink the Lex-Aid so much.

Not physically obviously, but you can relate to him because he's essentially just a normie.

>my rationalization of the writing is canon

It's closer to space cancer, but pretty much

>DONT DISAGREE WITH ME!!

>people still don't get that Man of Steel was an origins movie

You guys DO know he wasn't actually Superman til the end of the movie, right? He wasn't in total command of his abilities, he didn't have the minute control over them that he develops as a full fledged superhero later on once it all comes to pass. If he saved Pa Kent then and there, the cat would have been irreversibly out of the bag and Pa Kent didn't want his son to live the life of a science experiment run by paranoid humanity. It was easier to teach him the restraint of not using his powers and not potentially messing his life up forever. Was it the best choice? Who knows, but he made it in the heat of the moment because it came to his mind as the best choice then and there. Maybe revealing his powers might have the eventual invasion from Zod a much easier battle, but then he wouldn't have been the same Superman at all.

Man of Steel isn't a perfect movie and choices are flawed a lot, but that's the fucking idea, folks. Not that hard to understand.

this

Snyder knows what he's doing. he's the Kubrick of our generation

Well meme'd, friend

Snyder is a competent filmmaker at best, and he's telling a competent story with a competent idea that's really not that hard to get to, but it's easier to meme

no memes here broham Snyder is GOAT

literally your headcanon

Meme me more, user, I know it hurts to be disagreed with

Someone didn't understand the movie.

>All-Star Superman

grossssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

>grossssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Pleb taste detected.

All-Star Superman is fucking great, you gaylord.

Pa Kent's death in the comics was kinda poignant because despite all of the great powers he had, he couldn't save his dad from having a heart attack. To me, it's a lesson to Superman that he has to accept that he can't always save everyone, that he shouldn't bear all that grief and guilt. I feel it doesn't work in the MOS situation because Clark makes a choice of whether to save his dad or not, rather than him simply being unable to stop the inevitability of natural death. For me, it's a bit more tragic in the comics, and it also develops Superman's character.

Who stopped Clark?

>he doesn't think that outfit is patrician as fuck

Why is it that anytime there's an evil scientist/doctor about to torture the protagonist, they have a German accent? Even that Kryptonian guy that takes Superman's blood had one.

This, but that's not EPIC enough for hacksnyder.

A drawn out scene of Pa Kent collapsing and dying of a heart attack while superman cradles him in his arms could have been pure diluted kino

I don't disagree with you, but think about this one for a second - isn't that a lesson that's always been more for the audience than it is for Clark himself? How could Clark grow up with super senses and not already know he can't save everyone?

I like the way Pa's death was handled in the movie, because it's more about him consciously, willfully teaching his son right up till the very moment of his death. He left him with a lesson that took him a decade to fully understand. It was never about the world being ready for a Superman.

Which is, of course, why it didn't happen. It's amazing irony how DCucks call every turd hacksnyder serves them kino, while he missed EVERY in-universe opportunity to make actual kino.

>relatable

>superman
>realistic

>How could Clark grow up with super senses and not already know he can't save everyone?
In the comics when he just started out with Superman he was becoming arrogant, not in any bad or irresponsible sense, but in a ''i can save everyone, there's nothing i can't do'' one. So when Pa is dying in his arms it's an EXTREMELY humbling experience for him, and it's good that he had it so early on, because it toughened his resolve to never stop fighting.

>Isn't Superman's whole deal to put his life on the line for people regardless of the challenge?
exactly thats why he never does so in MoS and in BvS he looks bored and annoyed "saving" people

>calling comic Supes a mary sue
This is the type of ''''''''''people'''''''''' that watch Detective Cuck Comics ''''''''''''''''''''movies''''''''''''''''''''.

Immortal implies that Superman can't die of old age, which isn't true. Invincible is the correct word.

This scene doesn't make sense any way DC cucks try to spin it.
Also why would a group of on lookers be solely focused at looking at an old man and his dog when a tornado is coming their way. Does this make any sense?
Clark could have just saved his dad the on bloomers wouldn't have noticed unless they were idiots and just standing there waiting to be killed by the tornado.
You hear these type of stories all the time in newspapers. "local man miraculously saves someone from imminent danger"

Stupid scene from a trash movie

Actually, a lot of stuff implies or outright states that he's immortal. But he's always long lived, like, we're talking millenia of life at least.

But that still ignores the fact that at any given moment, he could be listening to someone else's dad die of a heart attack in the next county over. It's not a lesson for him. It's a lesson for us.

>someone else's father dying is the same as his own

So he just ages from childhood to adulthood like normal and then stays a middle-aged man forever? How convenient.

If that was what was portrayed in the movie, that would be a powerful message.

Sadly, it was not, and you just made that all up right now, on the spot. In the movie it just appeared that he committed suicide for no reason. There was no indication he was teaching his son anything by refusing his aid.

Snyder is a fucking hack, just accept it.

People tend to look at the one person doing something dangerous.

I definitely agree with you with your interpretation of the MOS death scene, and I think it's more appropriate for the narrative Goyer and Snyder were doing, the sort of conflicted and reluctant savior story. It's appropriate for the narrative in the movie, because it fits with the arc they wanted to give Superman, regardless of how I feel about which is better in general or not.

In terms of the first point, my two exposures to Pa Kent's death in comics have been Morrison's All Star and Johns' Bariniac stories. In Brainiac, Superman's an adult, and in the story, it comes in at the tail end, so while it has an emotional punch, it doesn't get time to give us how it makes Clark feel (other than sad). In All Star though, we see it happen when Clark is still Superboy, and so when that moment happens where he goes, "I can't hear my dad's heartbeat!" and "I CAN SAVE HIM!", it gets you emotionally involved because he's a naive kid who doesn't get to say goodbye to his dad. It's a little heartbreaking, and I wish MOS had that emotional punch that this did for me.

He didn't do anything dangerous though. He let his father die.

HOLD YOUR HORSES INDOMITABLE LAD

If the lesson is "with all your power, you can't save everyone," then yes, one death is as meaningful as another. Can't save Joe Sixpack from his heart attack? Can't save your own dad from one, either.

here. I didn't update the thread while I was writing my response, but just wanted to say I find it interesting that we both cited the same moment in our responses. I think it's a testament to how impactful it really is.

You're ridiculous if you think he has the same emotional investment in some nobody that he does in his own father and that it's the completely same experience hearing people die every day and have your own father die in your arms. It's like telling a doctor that because he sees people die every day he shouldn't give a shit when his own family member dies.

Yes. I was REALLY looking forward to seeing it at the cinema, and i got a fucking suicide by tornado.

>200 quintillion tons
Isn't that pretty much the weight of the earth....

His dad handed him a little girl to carry to safety and went back for the dog. People were looking at his dad. Jonathan couldn't know that the tornado was going to throw a car at him. You're just an armchair quarterback using information that the characters themselves couldn't have and you're using it in retrospect to boot.

Nah, earth weights around 6 sextillion, which Supes once bench-pressed for 5 days non-stop.

Emotional investment has nothing to do with it. Yes, it's a poignant moment, but saying it's the moment he learns he can't save everyone is a bridge too far. Now if you want to say it's the moment he internalized an understanding of how limited he is and how much death and suffering he has to ignore just to not collapse under the weight of self-imposed responsibility, you'd have something, but the fact remains that as Superman, he would be hearing people die in the hundreds on a daily basis.

Again, it's not his lesson. It's ours.

You really can't grasp this, can you? That people in general want to believe when someone they love really needs them, they'll be able to step up to the plate? That his father dying in his arms is a trillion times better and more poetic from a storytelling perspective then a fucking tornado?

jesus is god, yo

Elves, some incarnations of Vampires, Dragons, Gods... it's like you never saw an immortal species before.

None of those are real, user, so technically yes, ive never seen an immortal species before.

The process just slows down a lot in his 30s or so because at that point he's absorbed enough solar energy to become a physical god.

Can you grasp that emotional impact is all it is? In the story, how does it change him? What does he learn from it?

>flawed

Pa Kent didn't know that Clark
- could fly,
- be faster than the fastest negro
- be literally indestructible

he also feared people would find out that Clark is not exactly normal and given that Clark already has done something incredible once, it wouldn't take long for him to get more unnecessary attention. Nevertheless, this scene was akwardly executed.

>Jonathan couldn't know that the tornado was going to throw a car at him
Pretty safe bet when you're in bumer to bumper traffic next to a tornado.

Are you asking a question?

what is he lifting there. looks like a big crutch or cane

>In the story, how does it change him?
It humbles him.
>What does he learn from it?
That he can't save everyone. Hearing someone die and going:''Oh well, nothing i could have done'' and literally doing whatever you can to save someone and still failing are two monumentally different things. Clark felt powerless for the first time in his life. I can't understand why you're not grasping this.

>Pa Kent didn't know that Clark
>- could fly,

True

>- be faster than the fastest negro

You're telling me that he had heat vision at 10 but by the time he was 18 he never tried running anywhere?

>- be literally indestructible

Come on now.

Scientific stuff

Clark could have just ran very fast but slow enough not to appear superhuman, act like he's scared/struggling against the wind, grabbed Pa and ran back, and said something like ''Boy, i sure got lucky!"'

I could buy that, since Pa had repressed Clark so much that he'd never even try to use his powers in private. Which is sorta the worst part, Clark could've saved the damn dog because Pa could've saved the damn dog. He wouldn't have had to out himself at all because all he needed to do was act like an able bodied 18 year old who looks like he's 35.
Not even, Pa never had to risk himself.

NOT MY SUPERMAN REEEEEEEEE

>We're dealing with a flawed, relatable, realistic, non mary sue flying man from outer space here.

Fixed

Yes, because one is still a human being and the other isn't

>You're telling me that he had heat vision at 10 but by the time he was 18 he never tried running anywhere?

he didn't have heat vision but enhanced perseption with x-ray vision and its obvious Pa Kent urged Clark to not show off, Clark knew he was strong and fast but never tested out how fast he was till Pa Kent died.

>"oh no, all of this wind is REALLY scary"
>"oh wow, i am so lucky that i was able to run towards my dad at an above average speed and carry him back"
>"jesus must have protected me"
It really was that simple. What are they going to do, instantly assume he an alien?

How would he move a human in a nanosecond without killing them ?

I can see the humbling part. That's valid. But what you have to realize is that you're implying that until Pa's death, he just didn't care enough to try to save people dying like him.

That's why I say it's not good to interpret Pa's death as him learning he can't save everyone. He already has to know he can't. If anything, it teaches him humility, empathy and what he has in common with the rest of us.

It teaches him a lot more than that. Pa's death teaches Clark that there are things you need to believe in AND are willing to die for. Pa believed the world would crucify Clark if he revealed himself and he didn't want to risk him. Pa made a conscious decision to let himself die, to show Clark that you have to trust what you believe in.

There's also the scene in BvS where Ghost Pa is talking about saving his farm, to realise they fucked up their neighbours farm by routing the flood waters. The moral is the exact same; sometimes you save something but you sacrifice something else. Pa saw himself being saved, but having to sacrifice his son to the world (by being revealed). This was a sacrifice he was not willing to make.

Because he was already developing the reputation of being something more than human. He's already the local weird kid who pushed a bus out of a river.

Things like that add up. It's how Lois finds him in the first place - working th back trail of anecdotal accounts of a man doing extraordinary things.