AT&T to buy Time Warner for $80B

Time Warner Cable is a separate company and is not part of the deal.

AT&T is acquiring the content producer that owns Warner Bros., HBO, TBS, CNN, Adult Swim, TCM, DC Comics among many other things.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_integration
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you are against that then you are a lib shill. Is what this website has taught me.

This is fucking ridiculous. AT&T is the worst company on on the fucking planet.

why do we let the kikes get away with monopoly

That is why it's in their best interest to own everything.

Because they brainwashed the public into thinking not allowing them to build massive monopolies and jack up the price to ridiculous heights is communism.

and somehow trump is the fascist

Is there anything this man can't do?

Nice job enforcing those anti-trust laws there Obama

Fuck.

Because in doing so mean you agree with the left and that is some how wrong. Just like banking regulations and what not.

and here with thought it would have been disney to pick them up

You know Trump would do the same thing if he could.

this means (((Peter Chernin))) will replace Kevin "Six Flags" Tsujihara as head of Warner Bros., so they might actually start making good movies again. Chernin has actual experience in the film industry and has even produced some good movies

also yes people should be deathly afraid of these monopolies

Trump has said earlier today he would block the AT&T-Time Warner deal if he is rejected.

I think it's more about CNN hurting his feelings than any philosophical opposition to media consolidation though.

the only good thing about this deal is the potential ramifications of at&t, who owns directv, being able to work out better packages for those channels and probably increasing their operating revenue. that's good if you're a fan of those channels and happen to use that satellite service, but i don't see it serving anyone else's wants or needs. once that deal is done all they'll need to do is partner with netlix and put the nail in the coffin for cable companies.

AT&T doesn't make content, so how would buying Time Warner create a monopoly of any kind?

What would they be monopolizing?

i think the idea is that they own uverse and directv so by buying the content they'll negotiate in their favor and screw over the content delivery competition. at least that's what i took it to mean

>some good movies
I really hope you're not implying the new ape flicks are good

>Another massive chunk of the media owned by non-Jews

Sup Forums shills blown the fuck out. What's going to be their excuse now?

It is communism though.

why arent you at temple? its saturday

That gets AT&T nothing.

Like, the worse that will happen if that AT&T will jack the price up on HBO, which is the one channel that would get people to buy a cable package.

>kikes

Time Warner along with everything under it is now controlled by a white Christian.

At&t owns fullscreen which makes media content. Fullscreen also begin making VoD movies and Tv shows.

Well, I'll tell you one thing, I don't think Chernin would commit a 105 million dollar budget to a Point Break remake no one asked for then release it head to head Star Wars.

They don't own it outright and it's a really small thing.

>bible comes from torah

pseudo-kikes then

>have at&t internet because they are the only option in my area
>pirate the shit out of hbo and warner bros content

So are they just going to skip the warrant stage and turn off my internet immediately now?

They own a major part of it and with this they could force fullscreen content on HBO over somebody else.

So, can they please change the name Time Warner?

They don't even own Time Inc anymore and people constantly confuse them with Time Warner Cable.

Call it AT&T Warner or just call it Warner Bros.

if at&t owns hbo they could charge a higher rate to their competitors than their own subscribers. additionally they could offer hbo go free to all uverse internet subscribers even if they don't have tv. they could do any number of promotions to favor their own subscriber base. none of those would garner huge profits for them, but it is an example of how they could profit by playing both sides (content owner and distributor)

>yfw they sell DC to Disney

>additionally they could offer hbo go free to all uverse internet subscribers even if they don't have tv
They'll probably offer HBO Go free for all AT&T customers, or at least a discount.

Why would they ever do that?

your doors going to get kicked in at 6 AM before christmas for sure

So I assume that the new Time Warner will jump to number one.

i'd love them forever if they did that. i don't mind pirating, but i would like hbo go just to stream shit on my phone.

i know with the uverse tv package i have we get showtime included (u300) so maybe they'll add in hbo as well.

>tfw you will witness Monopoly Wars in your lifetime

>AT&T buys time warner
buy now get your own US president free!

>Monopoly
Time Warner Inc != Time Warner Cable

Remember the days when we had antitrust laws to protect the people from corporations merging and getting too large?

Industry de-regulation has only fucked the American people.

>Batman: Joker, this is the end of this insanity!
>Joker: Would you like that wouldn't you cowboy *le quipface*
>*amerilards clap in the background*

I seriously hope they don't do that

There's no issue here. There wasn't an issue when Comcast bought NBCUniversal.

I hope this happens just so I have an excuse to stop watching capeshit altogether

or a fucking peter pan flick

>reducing DC to Disney levels of blandness

I would just stop watching capeshit altogether

Why would any media company sell a a division that can provide years upon years of content with recognizable IPs?

they wouldn't

Just ignore the edgy marvel fagboy. For whatever reason they've always wanted dc to receive the Mcdonalds treatment

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_integration

Because they overvalue whatever power internet bought up critics have and undervalue what actual audience and box office numbers actually have. It'll never happen

Well that didn't stop Comcast

Just another reason the non digital filmed hp series is now classic

Just watch Inherent Vice and you'll understand this concept

yeah pretty much. that'd only be for its telecom services though

To the guy who said they'd fire Tsujihara I'm not sure if it'll happen considering they don't fuck around other divisions that much when it comes to merging.

I refuse to believe the courts will allow this.

Why wouldn't they?

Fuck! The Jews are using a fusion technique!

uh they always have

Cable/satellite/wireless providers should be regulated like utilities and disallowed from selling content. Let the public own the infrastructure on a municipal/county level and contract for companies to operate/maintain/upgrade the system. Let them compete on cost, reliability, and bandwidth and nothing else.

Why the fuck are my family's cable an cell bills more than water, sewer, and electric combined?

Monopolizing content is basically impossible unless you monopolize distribution too. I have no problem with some huckster trying to sell me home makeover shows and ESPN for $150/month unless they're holding my cell and internet connection in the other hand.

Internet is what really matters, smart people don't have cable anymore

your cable and cell services are luxuries. i hate how expensive they are, too, but i know i could get free over the air programming and a basic phone for next to nothing with unlimited calling and texting. that's partly why i dropped tv (too expensive when i could just pirate) and am very close to dropping my premium smartphone plan and switching to prepaid (no need for mobile data when i use wifi almost literally everywhere and just text sometimes)

whats funny is non-cable internet plans are more expensive than combined plans.

Splitting up CBS and Viacom the first time was a bad decision, I have no idea why they did it

>the internet is a luxury

How to tell when someone has no marketable skills/value.

>Trump has said earlier

Trump had said earlier that he was against borders (not borders themselves, but against borders for trade in context [which he currently would disagree with strongly anyways]), not even two and a half years ago.

What makes you think you can trust Trump on his word

>"Cable is for suckers! I just have internet" (provided by Comcast for $49.99 per month)
>"I don't pay any cable/internet bill!" (My university or apartment complex buys it from Time Warner Cable and factors it into my rent)
>"Cell phones are idle luxuries, where you at?!?" (prepaid plan that costs 40 cents/minute and uses Verizon tower sales)
Lel okay guys.

That's how they get you. They bundle everything together to get you trapped into a service you don't want.

>how to tell when someone didn't take microeconomics

one of the more common definitions is "something adding to pleasure or comfort but not absolutely necessary." it's the opposite of a necessity or need. aside from businesses relying on the internet every one could live without it. you're a fucking child if you think otherwise.

So ATT&T now owns DirectTV and Time Warner?

I love capitalism so much

it's the difference between buying a bmw and bitching about the high cost versus buying a cheap honda. we're not denying that these services are luxuries at every price tier, but if you think it's expensive you can always opt for a cheaper version of the service. i hate it when people bitch about having to spend $700 on an iphone when they don't need it. don't complain about things you aren't forced to buy, that's all.

We've left capitalism a while back.

well that's upsetting

I'm sure they'll be more profit focused so movies like Mad Max or Edge of Tomorrow probably won't be green-lit anymore

No we haven't. This is what is agreed upon universally as "Late Capitalism", the inevitability. Besides we've been here before. Why do you think Anti-Trust laws exist? So it couldn't get worse than just this.

The internet is ingrained into our daily lives. We use it to shop, to pay our bills, to deposit our paychecks, to communicate, and when 3D printing hits its stride we'll even be using it to transfer goods globally.

Yeah, you can go to a dedicated location with internet and use it there. You could also go to a well instead of having running water, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone who called indoor plumbing a luxury.

Hey, Ted, remember the last time you did a merger with a telecom company?

i'll call it a luxury because it is. again, we can't change the definitions to suit are purposes. the internet could very well become a true necessity and utility in time (and as you've pointed out it's well underway) but until then it doesn't provide for one's survival in most cases (the exceptions are when it's used for business or industrial purposes). consumer goods and electronics are always luxuries, period.
so, in regard to indoor plumbing it is a luxury. it's very widespread and a so common it's practically mandatory, but it's still a luxury by definition. it's not a diamond ring or expensive bauble, but it's still by definition a luxury because it makes the elimination of waste easier and more sanitary. it can improve the quality of life for an individual and for a community at large, but we could all go shit in the woods and survive all the same.

>his is what is agreed upon universally as "Late Capitalism"
AKA corporatism

Literally any high paying job requires extensive internet interaction.

So you're basically saying "high paying jobs are luxuries."

>we can't change the definitions to suit are purposes

If the definition cannot change then there need to be some serious caveats to the word. To put electricity into the same category as a yacht or a filipino slave boy off of which to snort cocaine is just asinine.

>AKA corporatism

Nah it's not that. It's either called late stage capitalism or Late Capitalism. Even meanings that symbolize certain ideas or foundations are laid on top of several different symbols and meanings.

[Everything in late capitalism is not itself without subtext, and everything becomes simplified. A bit contradictory, but late capitalism is a time in which much is lost.

>luxuries are goods and services, not the means to obtain them. if you earn a lot of money in a business that uses the internet as a backbone then great, you can buy a lot of shit, but none of that is necessary to your survival. necessary to your standard of living of course, but you could live off less. don't be dense

You are a retard if you want these two retarded companies to join together.

Ted Turner was very much against the deal with AOL.

He was fired from Time Warner because of his vocal opposition.

He also made a mistake in waiting to sell his Time Warner stakes until after the merger closed.

By then, AOL division started bleeding money and the stock price of AOL Time Warner had fallen by more than 50%.

>mfw neither at&t or time warner is owned by jews

This is almost as good as News Corp

you can heat your home by rubbing pieces of shit together so electricity is a luxury!

I know I took microeconomics!

>News Corp isn't owned by kikes

>t. guy who just got a B-minus on his 201 exam

I don't accept neo-Marxist terminology.

>I don't accept neo-Marxist terminology.

Economists use the fucking term

Not just smart ppl. Even generation x is cutting the cord (I have to help my mom set up roku tonight actually). This is something that these companies aren't anticipating...or maybe they are judging from all the mergers taking place and verizon selling its property to frontier..something's definitely shaking things up in telecom.

>hipster leninism

>implying I'm a leninist and not just throwing radical leftist shit at Sup Forums because I'm in the radical leftist ballpark

Fucking hell...

>regulations combat monopolies

lmao

>being a capitalist

Cucc..........

No, I'm against monopolies and the massive consolidation of the telecommunications and media industries.

We already broke up AT&T(Bell) in the fucking 80s. Are we going to have to do it again?

That's like a 140 at the community college he attended though.

There's already three telecom/media entities though. What's one more matter?

What does it matter? Literally every media org matches to the exact same tune, they might as well be 1 company.
Fuck consumers, anyone still paying for this shit is a good goy who deserves to be scammed.