Black Mirror: San Junipero

Is it finally kino?

Name one thing you didn't like besides "pandering to lesbians" this was finally a good episode

Nah, it's like Stranger Things. Directors use an 80s look that leads everyone to think its amazing because they're so busy drooling over the aesthetics, they fail to recognise the plot/characters/atmosphere are completely shit.

Nah. It's like Stranger Things, but actually pretty good.

Show panders too much to Americans in this season

This episode was good but it wasn't Black Mirror

It didnt address the fact that the people actually died and only copies of them were passed over to San Junipero

This is probably one of the least "forced" lesbian relationships on television, since there's actually reason to make them lesbians. They didn't just randomly chose to focus on lesbians for progressive points, it makes sense from a story perspective that lesbians might be more likely to seek out the relationships they were unable to engage in in life.

Like a Sci-Fi version of the movie Beginners. Probably the second best episode of the season.

You're an idiot. It's a nostalgia trip program. That's why all the 80's nostalgia is so pronounced, not because muh 80's. It's a meta-commentary on the very thing you're complaining about and yet you accuse everyone else of missing shit.

it was the most boring fucking episode what the fuck are you on about you said this earlier as well

the plot doesnt actually fucking kick in until the last 25 minutes or so, and when it did kick in, it was nothing interesting. The only thing that episode had going for it is the visuals in some place and qt glasses girl

it was a just bad rom-com (that one with Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves) mixed with the Matrix.

If you thought any of that was boring and did not spend the entire first half hour intrigued and wanting to know more, you should be watching Transformers.

>show tries something different
>normies get butthurt because they took a risk

never fails

i was intrigued by the whole "one week later" meaning one decade later and that was it. After they show the headpiece thing that puts them in there, thats it for the plot

What does red lighting mean

>wow you dance in the club so well, I am so in love with you

what a great and engrossing love story

It was good but why is no one mad about the fact the lesbians are a mixed race couple?

>but why is no one mad about the fact the lesbians are a mixed race couple?

Because it's 2016 user.

They cant have children

I think it was the best episode of the season, which is strange considering it is the least Black Mirror-like with a feels good ending.

The kind of people who drool over 80s nostalgia bullshit love in your face meta-commentary as well because it makes them feel smart. Two pandering birds with one heavy handed stone.

Its definitely lesbiankino

I think you mean lesbokino

what I want to know is if you can change the era you're living in once you are dead. like if you died in 2020, eventually they would add a recreation of 2030, so you could technically live in the decade after you died.

>you will NEVER go to san 4chanero when you die, to shitpost forever until you decide to leave

>They cant have children
Just wow.
Actually they can get a sperm donation from the black chick's bull brother

You can...

Recall the guy that was in love with black lesbo waifu saying he found her in the 90's and early 2000's when he was looking for her

He was a dead guy.

Thought it was a bit heavy handed with the foreshadowing stuff, like the car crashing in the arcade, "Girlfriend in a Coma" and all that shit

Loved this episode. The first half I was thinking she was a time traveler (stupid Netflix description says something about time and space) so I was definitely surprised when it revealed what was really happening. I love the idea of it, but I'm so curious about how it would work practically. Is San Junipero like Westworld where someone can go around trying to rape and murder people? Can you get put in jail? How do you switch eras, is there a menu screen? What happens if the server shuts down?

HELP GUYS IM AT EP 4 AND SO FAR NO KEKERINO IM SO PISSED ITS THE ONLY REASON WHY IM WATCHING THIS SHOW

>no one realizes that black waifu copied her consciousness and sent it to the world to be with white lesbo waifu and then chose to die a natural death

plebs

I thing you mean dykino

>contrarian hipster faggotry

its a genuinely touching relationship with complications which is only further complicated with the consideration of death and 'what is consciousness' angle
its quite heartbreaking. its probably the most powerful bm episode there is
the eras are not important. its brings up the question of humanity and reality. are emotions our most important attribute, or are w just flesh and nothing
its pretty gut wrenching

i was until it didnt really effect the story
they could have been dyke whites and it would still have been emotional due to the specs wheelchairing herself after coming out
it was pretty much 'women work on emotions alone' the episode, but considering thats reality it was a pretty hard hitting consideration
if s.p. were real, it would be full of sad lesbians

pretty sure everyone realises this as it was the whole premise of the episode

it was safe to assume that though

underrated

no one seemed to treat it like they were real deaths though, like there's no reason to opt for euthanasia simultaneously as you create a copy to be uploaded

Only worth if you can shitpost on the living internet from beyond the grave.

Expected it to be shit because I figured out the "twist" after the first 15 minutes. But then it went in a completely different direction. 10/10 episode.

Maybe I'm not getting it but if it's just copy then it's not really you, then the whole worry of dying is still real because of version of you is in the system but YOU YOU won't be experiencing it because you're dead.

What's the point of sending a copy if the current real you can't experience it? I rather believe it's the real current you version, makes it more special.

There's no possible way for it to be the real you you. You ARE your brain, that physical matter. If it doesn't go along for the ride, neither do you. I would totally give a copy of myself time in a digital utopia though. My death is inevitable - his doesn't have to be.

I did not understand this conflict between dying a normal death and "passing over". Surely what passes over is only a copy of your consciousness?

I think I liked this episode solely for Mackenzie Davis, she is such a qt.

Eh. This episode is all about Gugu Mbatha-Raw. She's so fine.

well to be fair lesbian romances always feel forced

i'd fuck her. I wouldnt be that thrilled about it though. similar levels of low femininity to MEW.

>MEW
(Mary Elizabeth Winstead).

Goddamnit, you people and your fucking acronyms...
Also, why does this thing lack Eva Green?

The only "Stranger Things" about it are the setting (which is only one of the many possible simulations: we also saw early 80s, mid-90s and early 2000s) and the fact that Yorkie kinda looks like Barb, with the dork outfit, reddish hair and nerd glasses.

but stranger things has good plot/characters/atmosphere

that ending part with the robot putting their little data cylinders in elevated the episode from like 7/10 to 9/10

>but stranger things has good plot/characters/atmosphere
And San Junípero does have those things as well.

>Gugu Mbatha-Raw.
that's the most retarded name i've ever heard.

>elevated the episode from like 7/10 to 9/10
Okay, guys, seriously now: how many of you were crying at the end? I know I did.

She should have picked a stage name. When I hear that name I automatically think ooga booga mi nigga, but she's actually a pretty fine British girl.

MEW is a pretty common acronimmy

I have a hard time figuring those out. It took me forever to realize that BDH stood for Bryce Dallas Howard.

Also, she looked a lot better with the bob haircut from Jurassic World.

>one thing you didn't like besides "pandering to lesbians"
The whole thing was building up to Kelly's speech about her husband and daughter, how she didn't want to live forever without them, feeling the pain of them being gone, eventually growing numb to it all and becoming like those freaks in the quagmire who long to just feel again, and then she says fuck it and does it anyway.

>eventually growing numb to it all and becoming like those freaks in the quagmire who long to just feel again, and then she says fuck it and does it anyway.
I think the message was "life goes on", or rather, "life goes on if and when you choose to".

I just finished EP3, I know it's pretty 9gag to use 'le ebin troll faec' in CURRENT YEAR, probably what made me kek at the end of this.

>I know it's pretty 9gag to use 'le ebin troll faec' in CURRENT YEAR
'member when Sup Forums was the only place that used it?

>There's no possible way for it to be the real you you.
There's no possible way for a small device attached to the side of your head with glue to transfer your consciousness to a virtual world either.

I liked it but it's not a Black Mirror episode. There's no dystopian aspect of social critique or cautionary tale about technology. Literally just a romance story in a 80s setting and it's pretty shallow. Was a bit feelsy and did get me erect tho.

I cried. I wasn't expecting to, usually I never cry at movies or TV. But something about the music and the slow pan showing all the people that opted for San Junipero hit me just right.

I'm just glad it was a nice episode after the punch to the gut that was ep 3

But half of her speech was about how it shouldn't.

>Not a Guy Fawkes mask or Pepe

Shit taste, Brooker

>I liked it but it's not a Black Mirror episode. There's no dystopian aspect of social critique or cautionary tale about technology.
In other words, it wasn't yet another of Charlie Brooker's tracts on cynicism about how people are worse than the machines they create.
That's a GOOD thing. I'm personally a bit sick and tired of that nihilistic attitude. Brooker's stuff comes off as pretty heavy-handed, with characters giving speeches about the reasons why things are awful in their world, as if it was one of his columns for The Guardian. It's the first of the two fetishes Brooker has on most of his Black Mirror work, and I'm glad that San Junípero lacked it. The other one is, obviously, interracial relationships.

The end just makes you question the afterlife.

It pans out and you see all the people that want to live forever after even thought its not possible. Like how is san junipero different than our idea of heaven... it's nowhere. All those people died and they have a simulation that lives on and its more comforting to them.

Kind of like the dilemma of an atheist and a believer marrying and missing each-other in the afterlife.

The social critique is there it's about how to accept the finality of death.

if you were the one that died, would you really want your spouse to suffer alone for the rest of their life? to not find happiness again?

Except that's the point about Black Mirror, it's a cynical scifi show about the dangers of technology and the shittiness of society. No one watches it for a love story between two lesbians.
>characters giving speeches about the reasons why things are awful in their world
That only happened in one episode, and it's part of what made the episode great.
Nah, that's not what it's getting at at all. If it was they probably shouldn't have included it in a cheery montage with an upbeat pop song.

So why do you think the show is called black mirror?

Because Blacked Mirror would be too obvious.

I also hate it when my sci-fi horror actually contains horror.

She already did suffer for the rest of her life you tit.

I am thinking about the white christmas episode where artificial minds identical to yours can exist.
The black lady was buried, and every single atom in her body is there in the ground. Her digital soul is a mirage just a copy, she dies the simulation lives. It is a bitter-sweet ending.

That is funny but joking aside that was a genuine question.

That really only works if you are a hardcore religious person and you believe that a virtual version of you existing would stop the real you from going to heaven for some reason.

>But half of her speech was about how it shouldn't.
The fact that she entered San Junípero in the end shows that she changed her mind.

>Pepe
God, why can't that stupid frog just die already? It already got hijacked by the internet at large. Why is Sup Forums still using it?

>There's no possible way for a small device attached to the side of your head with glue to transfer your consciousness to a virtual world either.
"The microSDHC card from the late 2000s holds 8 billion bytes (8 GB). It rests on a section of magnetic-core memory from 1955 that uses 64 cores to hold eight bytes. The microSDHC card holds over one billion times more bytes in much less physical space".

or an indian that thinks a camera can steal your soul by copying you.

Except there's this nearly pseudo-religious idea with transhumanists that mind uploading is possible and it can be used to achieve immortality. A lot of smart people even believe this, so to think that Brooker is making a point and making it intentionally bittersweet is to assume that he thinks mind uploading is bullshit, which can't be assumed.

You get me user because that is exactly how I feel about it.

I was thinking a VR version of you is essentially a video or a photo of you.

And her just changing her mind without any actual development between the speech and then is shit writing that makes the entire speech pointless.

>Pepe
A presidential candidate has declared internet war on him. He won't die for a while yet.

>microSDHC
Now explain how gluing that to the side of your head can fully transfer your consciousness to a virtual world interacting with countless others doing the same.

>I was thinking a VR version of you is essentially a video or a photo of you.
It's basically that until we figure out what exactly is the human consciousness. The "soul", in layman's terms.

yes my point exactly, I wouldn't want my wife to do that.
Charlie Booker said it's because of how the episode ends and you're just left with a black 'mirror' - your monitor or TV - to soak in the events of what just happened.

I just want to ask you what part of them is alive? Sure the idea of them can live on but how can you think they live. Do you believe in the afterlife today? I mean every part of those to aging ladies dies, what lives is the little computer thing.

Call it eugenics, euthanasia whatever.. people are just choosing to die because their lives suck.

I will say it again think about it like this if I can make a perfect copy of you, keep the copy and kill you.. do you really live.

It was an 8/10 until the credits scenes which were so fucking terrible the episode became a 3/10

faggot

No, I'm not arguing against your point that they're just copies, I'm arguing against you thinking that Brookie intentionally wrote it for you to think about it that way. If the ending was written to make you think about whether they're really alive or not, they wouldn't have put in an upbeat song to them dancing and driving around that makes you think it's a happy ending.

I think given White Christmas he knows that your original consciousness doesn't go along for the ride, but the issue did feel glossed over, or rather ignored entirely, with San Junipero. Like both the black lady and her dead husband thought the virtual clone would mean they wouldn't be able to move on to the afterlife, if one exists anyways.

Even if souls exist, you wouldn't be stuck on Earth. Your consciousness could be uploaded to the cloud a few years later after you die - do you get ripped out of Heaven/Hell then? And because you're digital, copies of you can easily be made - does your soul split a dozen ways to follow each digital incarnation? Or are copies of your soul made as a result? Etc.

Technically your body replaces all your cells every few years.

The person you think was born on your birthday is long dead.

>When I hear that name I automatically think ooga booga mi nigga
A limited scope of reference and racist assumptions on your part don't mean what to her? Her fine ass achieved critical success despite people like you.

And given how advanced they are elsewise (just compare San Junipero to even the most advanced modern VR and Second Life for example) who's to say they haven't figured that out and how to transfer it in the episode?

not all your cells, some of them stick around for a long time, e.g. your typical neuron, the cells that matter for your personhood, last all your life

>without any actual development between the speech and then
Several things happened: the car crash, the thought of leaving Yorkie all by herself in San Junípero for eternity.

>A presidential candidate has declared internet war on him.
A campaign, to be precise. And the main issue was why does Sup Forums keep using it. Is /r9k/ really that fucking cancerous?
Moot never should have lifted the robot...

>Now explain how gluing that to the side of your head can fully transfer your consciousness to a virtual world interacting with countless others doing the same.
It's a metaphor on technological advance, dingus. We are talking about computing powerful enough to store a complete replica of a human being in something the size of a thumb. Plus the simulation being a carbon copy of reality for all practical purposes.
If you can do all those things, then wireless brain-jacking comes easy.

>who's to say they haven't figured that out and how to transfer it in the episode?
The dialogue hints that it isn't the case just yet.

You tell 'em girl mmmm hmmmm

Unless there is a literal soul that embodies our personhood, it is impossible to transfer your consciousness, short of direct brain transplants. The person you are is literally your neurons. If those neurons are all dead, then so are you, period. There's nothing that says we can't create digital replications of our personality with all our memories, but it's just that, a replication, a clone. Nothing says we have to die for that clone to be made either, it's just a convenient cinematic technique to imply a transfer of consciousness, when really you're killing one person while a perfect copy is born.

But thats the thing you can't upload consciousness because its not something tangible.
If the machine understands every thing about the man being uploaded its just cut and paste. Btw (cut) dosent realy exist it amounts to copy paste & delete original. An upload is death. An user program that has a mind exactly like mine isnt me just because I decide to unplug from my coma.

>I don't read science fiction and just talk shit

You could have a program that learns about you, think like you, react like you, want things like you, and be essentially you minus the continuing matter that makes up you. A copy, or rather virtual clone of you. It IS you, but digital and with no soul (if such a thing exists). This is one type of AI.

Another is a program that runs your neural brain chemistry in real time, and its action-potentials as well. This is also you but emulated.

Yet another could be quantum entanglement, and then disconnection so for a moment you were in two places at once until separation.

Granted your physical version still dies but at least a copy of you lives on, being just a version of you. Think of a song in multiple formats, it is still the same song but differing in medium. Who can say if an AI can ever be you, when for all other respects it can be.

No fucking wonder Sup Forums pretentious fags like Alien 3, they just like pretty pictures and disregard the science fiction. That's my bread and butter baby, and fuck you all for bringing artfag shit into glorious scifi movies/shows.