What's it like growing up poor?

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/saxon_casi/side-vocals
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The same as rich, just you do less.

like having stuff that isn;t quite as good

soundcloud.com/saxon_casi/side-vocals

;

alot more wholesome that growing up rich I'd assume, we didn't have much as kids but we never starved or went cold, i feel like im a better person knowing i dont take shit for granted.

It's really hard to explain, it depends why you're poor

If it's because your single mom was a crackhead or some fucked up shit then it hardens you the fuck up

i mean really it all comes down to:
"what is it like growing up, when your parents are poor?"

and a big factor is "why were your parents poor."

apparently its leaving poison right next to your childs birthday cake and taking bad care of plants

>parents were heavy drug users
>used to fish through the dumpsters behind the 99cent store for food for the next few days
>slept in school clothes for the week
>holidys were going out and working for money for drugs for parents
>was used to haul scrap/cans/pallets to change in for money for more drugs for parents.
>kitchen covered in roaches (sware we still have their grandchildren kids in our kitchen today
>would of an hero but to chicken so death with rags!

Thankyou user. Getting teased for being poor as a kid sucked

it gets better. just ignore people

its like feeling that youre poor but genuinely happier than others and that you have to make personal sacrifices so the next gen will have better conditions

neighborhood chicks are also poor and usually stupid and therefore easy to fuck

I grew up in a home with a mom and 8 siblings. My mom didn't work but got disability. She was infatuated with a certain musician and would pay almost her entire disability to go see him or buy his merch. My dad wasn't around but still worked 3 jobs to pay child support for his 13 kids. She still wasted money and wasn't going to get a job. She's very bipolar and has depression episodes. We'd starve, a lot. It's weird waking up in the middle of the night and your mom cutting the initials of some guy she's never met into her stomach. We didn't have rooms for everyone so most of us slept all in the living room. Roaches and mice were common. Lice also very common. Ever shared a slice of bologna with your entire family of 9? She'd starve herself and tell us it's for us. She'd leave passive aggressive notes telling us how terrible we are and how we need our father or cps to take us. Yeah, being poor wasn't the hard part, it was the terrible mother part.

Ya, Heineken is pretty fucking awful

i was talking about the household cleaner

which musician?

I thought i grew up poor, but turns out i we had maids and shit the whole time. Parents always made it seemed like we didn't have a lot of money, even though we lived in one of the nicer counties in the state. I didn't put it all together until my mid 20s.

how fucked up is that?

>turns out i we had maids and shit the whole time.

you didn't notice the maids?

Rather not say because I have a family member who browses Sup Forums and he will know exactly who this is if I say the musician. But I'll let you know that they play grunge music.

It's not that fucked up. Literally billions of people would want to be in your situation. Like 5/7 of our population of billions.

Same here. I am very happy with my life right now and I don't have much. Don't even have wheels.

they probably didnt want you to be an entitled cunt

jesus christ if you missed that joke you're gonna have a rough go at life, kid.

You boil hot water for baths
You play kick the can in the yard
You live off grilled cheeses, if and when you can afford to pay the gas bill
You use candles for light instead of electricity
You get all your clothes from thrift stores
You get shit donated to you by churches and you're thankful but it makes you feel pathetic
You eat usually once a day, twice if you're lucky
If you're in school, school lunches and breakfast are usually your main source of nutrient rich food
You spend a lot of times with friends, if you have any, because they hopefully aren't poor and you get to mooch off their AC and sometimes dinner if their parents offer
You freeze in the winter and sweat your ass off in the summer when you're at home
Showers are always cold

Ever find out why?

Fucking sucked but not really because we were poor and couldn't get health insurance and we're stressed all the time. But because my parents were just shitty, arguing all the time and just left me to do wherever. Step dad ended up hiding money from me and my mom, which was a really stupid move because now after 15 years he wants to come back. It's just the issue of being around stupid petty lower class people who don't even know what's good for themselves.

For example if the idiot stuck around and spent the money on us we would have taken care of him like a normal family would. And since I'm going to be rich soon he'd have all the money he'd want to retire. I wouldn't mind sharing it with him if he actually showed me he cared about me growing up. It's just sad to see such wasted potential.

Overall it's ignorance and stupidity. Never get involved with someone whose and idiot because they live frustrated lives and are angry all the time because they don't feel in control of their lives.

The exprience really showed me the value of family. And how important it is to align you self with intelligent sucsessfull people. Ironically I hate poor people more and with a passion no rich person will ever know.

Ever find out why they acted like that?

i got the joke it was garbage

>grow up in 1000 sf house in working class neighborhood next to the tracks
>parents roll their own cigs to save money
>vacation meant a car trip and a tent
>never thought I was poor until I grew up and made some bank
Its not bad if your parents are decent and take care of you.

oh i think i can guess who now i have an obsession with a musician as well but i dont blow all my money on her merch i just think she is adorable

my grandfather grew up in the great depression and was cheap as fuck. both him and my father were fucking engineers but were sooo cheap.

i went to boston market for my HS graduation dinner because he had a coupon. in 2003

im 33 today.

>soundcloud.com/saxon_casi/side-vocals
fucking trash stop posting this

I used to get excited over chocolate milk when i would go to my friends house

It really sucks nigga

Wearing shoes that are too big so you can grow into them. That means wearing oversized shoes until you outgrow them. You know all that clothing the rich kids wear, yup you get to wear that clothing after they are stained and torn. Plus you get to hear the former owners of said clothing how they got stained or torn. School donations are gifts you get. You stay in study class cause you cant afford field trip fees. Doctors and dentist visits. Ha it better be an emergency. Im glad i have dental insurance, my whole life i had fucked up teeth cause we were too poor to afford it. Fuck being poor

wow, pretty fucked up, and how are you doing right now, user ? Life's good?

You don't always get the gift you wanted for Christmas, think twice before buying with the money your parents gave you those candies, start working early , when you start working you usually work every single days even when you should have holidays, won't ever ever ever, have a happy day on you li... no wait , i've slided the "poor" to "standard Sup Forumstard" guy.
My bad.

not him but I have a similar situation.

Thought I was poor all growing up. I lived in a slightly below average part of town in a below average house that was built poorly. House not disgusting (no roaches etc) but never quite clean. Family almost never bought clothes of any kind, if they did it was thrift store. Always knock-off foods, cleaners, furniture, everything. Mom would walk the dog and collect cans and shit to recycle/cash in.

The rare occasion we went to the beach or park or something on an outing, we had lettuce sandwiches for our picnic. Literally just lettuce on white bread. Being the younger sibling, literally everything I had was a hand-me-down. Never had the cool toys, clothes, that my friends did.

Never really questioned it, and we never talked finances or about my dad's job. I never wanted to anyways, out of shame. At 15 I couldn't take it anymore and moved out, couch surfing at friends houses, neighbours, shelters, just anywhere that wasn't there. Haven't talked to them since.

Got a job, finished HS, college, all that shit. Made a life for myself. Blah blah blah.

When I was 21, after not speaking to my family since I hit 18, I finally decided to Google my dad to see what I could dig up. Turns out he is was the general manager of a company my whole young life. By the time I googled him he had been headhunted and was now CFO of a major corporation. I checked, he still lived at the same house.

The point is, everyone lambasts people as stupid or mentally ill if they can't hang on to money. You can be just as crazy about hoarding it.

>whats it like being poor
you vote for trump because he cares about poor white folks and will stick it to the niggers.

maybe they had a massive dept, ever thought about it ?

You're on your own there. She's kinda weird imo.

Lol good one.
Give incentives to carrier enterprises to not lay off workers. Carrier lays off workers and keeps the 8ncentives. Same thing with at&t.
But trump is stopping jewish infulence. Pardons a major jewish money launderer. Im too lazy to go on, but this guy isnt ours, hes a puppet to appeal to the peasents in order to benefit the wealthy

I've never written anything in green text so forgive me but I want to share my story. Its relevant here

>be me
>1999, 4th birthday, knock on the door
>police are here, there's been an accident
>dad is dead
>lose almost everything
>mom works 2 jobs and goes to school barely staying above water with help of family
>2000, 5th birthday, knock on the door
>Grandpa is dead
>Things get tighter but still doing okay, we walk some places now its nice.
>August 2000, knock on the door
>Grandma is dead
>cupboards are getting and staying bare, mom is always tired and getting really thin
>2001 6th birthday, need a new coat because growing boy
>coats for kids because we couldn't afford
>get told to fuck off because we "dont look poor"
>mexican bitch tells my mom to not be such a stingey bitch
(this is where my hate for minorities started)
>years pass, mom still going to school, superwoman
>make it to 2005, 10th birthday, can finally get a job and help
>life improves, mom can take 2 classes at a time now
>2007, 12th birthay, finally making more than $5/hr, mom finishes bachelors, things are really looking up

Continue?

I knew they were there to clean, but my parents worked a lot (12 hours days) so they kinda made it seem like we were struggling because of that and the 'cleaners' were their to help temporarily while we got through the hard times. I thought the sandwiches they made me after school were just because they were nice people.

I'm sure I am though, its impossible to escape from that. Though finding out about all of this kinda gave me a reality check of my privileges in life. Now i feel pretty ashamed and try to remain humble about everything.

Dad fought vietnam and saw some shit I think. Always kept his personal matters to himself, that included any deep topics or finances. Even to this day. Also we grew up in an area with a high jew population and my parents had some jew friends, showing off money was meet with a lot of judgement from others.

Idk all I know is from the people I've made friends with. They all pretend like it's fine, but you can tell they went through hell when you visit their relatives homes.

Yes of course I thought about that. I talked to extended family members after finding this out. There was no debt, they were never in debt. When I was young my mom worked as an accountant at a decent paying job. That's where they met. They were together for 7 years before they had us, they had us in their early 30s. They had 7 years of being a 2 income house BEFORE they had kids. As I was growing up, they would have been making around 150k together. The house was paid off in full before I was born.
The family members I talked to didn't know how much he was making once he got his CFO job, but they know it was more than their previous 2 incomes combined.

That's a whole lot of lettuce sandwiches, friend.

Some people have unhealthy relationships with money, it works in all directions. As someone up there said, it's the caliber of parents that matters most to the kids, assuming the essentials are covered.

i didn't grow up "poor" but i was rarely given anything. my russian immigrant parents didn't think i needed anything but clothing and food. after a while, i learned to stop asking. at age 8, i had a 10 inch black and white television.

a friend of mine has a 9-10 year old. he has a 40" HDTV, his own mini ATV and motorcycle to ride, PS4 in living room and bedroom, etc. he pours all this money on some other bitch's kid and call him his son even though he's mexican, she's mexican, the kid is white and the son of who know who, and he calls her his "ex", takes them to disneyland, because he dreams of regular pussy one day. motivation? whatever.

i grew up with 1% of what this fucking kid takes for granted (i'm 41 in march). i can't fucking believe it.

i bet this kid has no ability to truly appreciate what he has.

>never starved or went cold
Then you don't really know what it's like to be poor

Not all that great.

>Parents (if you can call them that) were junkies who many times put their fixes ahead of food/clothes/etc