Depression is rage turned inwards

Depression is rage turned inwards.

If you feel rage towards yourself, either for past mistakes or a negative body image, the underlying problem is conceit. Out of vanity, you have created an unreasonable standard for yourself that you fail to live up to and your desire to become more than you're capable of becoming is the cause of your self-loathing. The problem isn't you. The problem is that you have created unrealistic goals.

The solution to your problem is forgiveness. You have to forgive yourself for not being capable of meeting the ideal persona you have created for yourself and realize that the ideal version you have set for yourself is unrealistic, narcissistic and vain.

You aren't perfect. You aren't special. And there isn't anything wrong with that.

Other urls found in this thread:

psychologytoday.com/blog/compassion-matters/201710/the-role-anger-in-depression
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

....Go on.

In other words accept defeat and just be an hero. Yeah maybe. I was close to it but now you have talked me into doing it sooner. Thanks user.

All true tbh.

Can I fuck mommy now, daddy?

>Cant even trips
OP is a faggot

Cancer thread
sage

Nope, depression is literally the opposite of rage.

But I want to look like pic related, have a million dollars and an 8 inch cock.

It's so unfair. I'm such a piece of shit.

no it isn't. You're conflating depression with grief.

Grief is sadness. Depression is an anger management disorder.

>False advice

One six from showing yourself, Satan.

>Not on my watch, mother fucker.

OP is a faggot

>yet another amateur psychologist making gross generalisations about very specific problems
People get depressed over PTSD events.
How's that fit into your "unrealistic goals" bullshit excuse for science, petit-Freud?

>ideal version you have set for yourself is unrealistic, narcissistic and vain.
You mean the "unrealistic, narcissistic and vain" version of myself where I don't tremble and piss myself every time I hear a helicopter or see someone Asian on the street? You mean that self-generated "ideal" self?

Fuck you and your two months of college pop psychology.

This sounds...about right, but what about people who can't forgive themself?

You shoot women....and children?

I think he might mean that being too hard on yourself because a fucking attack helicopter flying over you might well actually scare you is exactly the problem.

anyone wanna spam these over 9gag?

I suffer from PTSD. My depression is tied to feelings of guilt for not being able to prevent the death of a very close friend and for being stupid enough to volunteer to put myself in that situation in the first place.

I was so fucking stupid to join the military. I beat myself up over it constantly.

Fucking retard

"I want to be the sort of person who doesn't tremble when I see something that reminds me of a very scary situation. I'm so weak and pathetic. I hate myself and I hate anyone who tries to talk me out of hating myself and lash out at them."

Got any crasy stories you'd like to share?

People get depressed from shitty brain chemistry too.

>but what about people who can't forgive themself?

I think that's unfortunate.

Shitty brain chemistry can be cause by constantly beating yourself up.

That's actually really accurate

But my mom told me that I was special. All the television shows and commercials I watched throughout my childhood taught me that I'm the center of the universe.
My school gave me a shitload of participation trophies.

I've been told my whole life that I'm special and that I'm going to do something amazing someday. But I haven't. I'm a 28 yo pizza delivery driver.

I'm right to hate myself. I failed to live up to my potential.

>depression is literally the opposite of rage.
Well, no, it's not the "literal opposite", but neither is it
>Depression is an anger management disorder.
That's just pure autism with no foundation in reality.

Depression is loss of will, not sadness, but neither anger. Anger still rages, it's active, it has will. Anger screams "How dare you do this to me". Depression just wilts and says, "o-o-okay". Or, more often, nothing at all. Depression is the loss of the will to persist. It's the crippled son or brother of despair. It's moreso descended from crippling of will, wherein a person's ability to change a crushing situation is impeded, such as by an abusive spouse/parents/carers/priest/etc, a persistently crippling economic situation, or, as in user's case:
... a fucked-up government policy of fighting a war not even the conscripts cared to fight.

Now, anger may be there at the conception of depression, a willing observer of abuse hate-fucking one's despair, but it's not the daddy. Now, that abuse can also be self-generated, it can be derived from poor coping function in people, but no one gets depressed because "Wah, the world was mean to me and didn't give me the millionaire lifestyle I hoped for." Fuck that. OP's a faggot. NO ONE gets depressed by that shit. And by "no one" I MEAN absolutely no one.

They may, however, fall into despair when their football career ends, not because "Wah, the world..." but because they have no other hopes and dreams and have been, say, parented into believing that ONLY a football career would make daddy happy and life worth living. Calling that an "unreasonable standard for yourself" is way too simplistic, like calling Star Wars the life-story of midichlorians. And it is sure-as-fuck not a conceit about wanting to be better than the normies.

OP, go back to the classroom and take your bullshit ten minutes reading Freud to the shitter.

t. chronic HFD "enjoyer"

know more about depression than you ever will, kid

>The best time to plant an oat tree was 300 years ago. The next best time is now fagit

Prett much this, depressed people don't feel the desire for living, eating or anything much at all. They just feel terrible all the time.

psychologytoday.com/blog/compassion-matters/201710/the-role-anger-in-depression

I struggle with this... I put unrealistic expectations on myself because I hold myself to a higher standard than I hold others

No, I think he means the sound of a chopper was what preceded taking soldiers to the "front" and left them there for the meat-grinder of the Viet Cong. And since that shit is apparently what minced his life, just hearing a chopper spergs him out

That's some shitty shit, m8. I hope the VA or someone professional is actually helping you cope with that shit.

Feminist.

Same here. Ex deputy sheriff. Partner killed him self. Thank you for your service.

Depression is imbalanced levels of brain chemicals like seratonin, faggot.

i disagree. the only time i feel depression is when i'm disappointed with others.

also, i never feel jealousy. the last time i can remember ever actually being jealous was when i was under 10. possibly under 8 because i remember my attitude those days pretty well; i was in a "gifted and talented" class and i hated those little egotistical fucks.

jealousy is for weaklings and rage turned inwards might be related but in me, it doesn't happen. at 40, about to get a philosophy degree--it's a jerk off, just to pad my computer science GPA with easy As and impress employers who are sheltered nerds--i don't accept this definition of depression.

the only other possibility would be actual brain chemistry but still, it shouldn't turn inwards. also, my parents have always berated me, all my life and i don't fucking care.

>posts an article that references several studies that supports his position

Based user. Dubs confirms.

Do you want your tendies with that reply faggot?

See

I would assert that you aren't depressed.

You say that as if it's a competition in this mortal life, degenerate

>Turning anger on ourselves _contributes_ to the ***severity*** of depression
=/=
>Depression is rage turned inwards.

Also, that's ONE study that relies on Freud's initial theory.
Also, they explicitly state anger can be GOOD for depressives, if correctly tuned.
Naah, mang, OP is still a faggot.

Freud was a sexually-repressed, pioneering noob in psychoanalysis. Sure, he started the ball rolling -- though I've read Kierkegaard is the real daddy -- but for people to still be using his noob theories when we know SOOOO much more about the human mind than he could ever have imagined is just bonkers, imho. It's like relying on Edison to manage your music collection -- sure, he can do it, but FLAC files are far more effective than a warehouse full of wax cylinders.

>moves the goal post
>attacks the source

He posted a credible article that contained several studies that backed up his claim. You haven't.

Yeah, sorry, try harder, kids. Jimmies not even vibrating pleasurably.

You think you cool mayn, but you ain't.

OP stated, and I quote:
>Depression is rage turned inwards.
... and followed that with the absurd claims that:
>Out of vanity... the ideal version you have set for yourself is unrealistic, narcissistic and vain ...
>The problem is that you have created unrealistic goals.

The article this post
... refers to does not support OP's claim. It PURELY says anger CAN ... not "always does" ... make depression worse if maladaptive. What it DOES NOT say is that depression is caused by anger.

Am I going too fast for you all?

Yeah it's some ptsd fag, let him suffer as he pleases

You got rekt son. Just let it go before you make it worse.

>12yo with so many opinions thinks by the power of persistence he rekt truth
Good luck in life with that

>be a famous psychologist
>be controversial
>write perhaps the most important works within all of psychology
>be remembered for this

Men use anger to cover up "less manly" emotions.

>>tfw want to fuck the shit out of mommy

>tfw aching for mommies sweet tender loins
this man was fucking sick

ay is he the dude that fucked him mum and got caught and said it all ok lol.

hi Sam

>unreasonable standard for yourself
But what if the unreasonable standard for myself is completely reasonable and extremely easy for normalfags to pull off?

Nobody gives a shit about your service.

>Sup Forums in seven words

please answer

>Shlomo Fraud
kys