I have a PhD in molecular biology. Ask me anything about the ten years I've wasted in university

I have a PhD in molecular biology. Ask me anything about the ten years I've wasted in university.

what can you do with molecular biology

Your thesis? Research?

Was it worth it?

Not much actually.

Its absolutely useless. Only job that I can see someone getting is one in a lab. 25 hr.

Oh hi Vee.

What uni?

On stem cell homeostasis in the gut.

Was it fun? Yes. Good career choice? No.

What are you planning to do now?

Been looking for a job in the field in the last year, while working minimum wage.

How much was your student debt when you received your PhD?

German. So 0. Also, nice Pepe.

Do you insist on people calling you doctor while working minimum wage?
I sure would do.

Was it worth it? I'm doing my PhD in Neuroscience and I'm starting to doubt my future prospects.

What are the most interesting facts you learned in Molecular Biology?

The people at work don't know.

See Academic research is a snowball system.

HahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

Do you feel like you wasted your time because academia is shit, or is it more that you don't feel like you have ample private sector opportunities?

why not user? You worked long and hard for that. You come across like a dick sure, but to at least fuck with people after all taht work.

Hi there! I'm Ukrainian senior on my 4th year of Biotechnology baccalaureate. Plans to obtain Master in Germany, TUM or LMU perhaps. What do you think?

What do you mean by 'snowball'?

How old are you?

I graduated with a bachelors in the same field 5 years ago. I went straight into industry and now make a great living and really enjoy my work. How mad are you that you didn't do what I did?

Whr r u from?

Academia was shit for a long time and you need a lot of luck to get a tenure track position or something permanent on the faculty. But I was always under the impression that there were quite a few job available in industry. But as mentioned above, I struggle to get anything.

Very mad. Should have left academia after the Masters.

>bioLOGy

What's your GPA?

Why not go to lab or move to Austria or Switzerland?

No GPA here. My Bachelor and Master grades were perfect, my PhD output in regards to first author papers mediocre.

I see no future in academia so why go back to the lab. And for positions outside academia I consider the whole of Western and Northern Europe.

>was
Y?

Are you retarded? Because a phd only take 8 years, reatrd

>see no future in academia
Son of a bitch they pay you about 40k€ per year in Austria for private researches for lab work.

2 years in coma I guess

Lmao

3 years Bachelor. 2 years Master. 5 years PhD.

Been applying for research and R&D positions but had no success as of yet.

Than blame your inappropriate knowledge, not market

Any good Austrian companies you know are hiring?

Novartis, Eli Lilly, Baxter for instance

Hey OP this might be a stretch but can you cover some things that you believe are the most important things to know for a high school senior ( I'm in a medical micro class )

im in a program currently, more biophysics based though. What was your thesis on, broadly speaking?

can i cure me retardness with mustard?

Thanks. Unfortunately, the competition at big pharma is huge. Been applying to Roche, Bayer, Boehringer Ingelheim, AstraZeneca, Genentech, Amgen, and Norvartis for all kinds of positions without success.

Intestinal stem cells.

Anyone you know from university that might help you out? That's how things work out in the US. Education gets you in the door but they usually how based on you knowing someone.

no one you knew from your program had any in with those companies? In my program i know individuals connected to every one of those companies and more local ones as well, did you just do no networking at all...? i mean shit im getting job offers for 65-70k a year as QC

can you find a cure for the zombie apocalypse?

My PhD supervisor had no ties into industry.

The only opportunity to network where at conferences and job fairs and generally, people were not interested in my work or my skills.

bump

Any complaints about molecular besides job availability?

Just applied to grad schools and getting responses now. My focus is in molecular but I'm hoping for a career in translational medicine. Have interviews with the Mayo clinic and Yale for immunology/translational medicine so far.

I was always under the impression that you only want a molecular biology PhD if you want to do basic research in that field, since molecular techniques are pretty ubiquitous in all biological research. Was that your interest going in?

Did you or your friends assuming you have some cooked acid in the lab?

i second this

how do you decide that one highly specialized field is so important to you that you want to spend 10 years learning about it. Was it just arbitrarily picked or do you have genuine interest in it?

Don't have any friends. Didn't cook acid.

I just remembered that the correct English term is Ponzi scheme.