English Football Leauge System

As an American I really dig the concept of the Tiered system of team you guys have. It is a real cool way of making sure teams earn the right to win championships and keeps things fresh in terms of seeing a small club from the south of london play a top flight team. I wish we had something like this in america to balance out the teams that are terrible for years here.

I do have one question has there been a team from the bottom to ever make it to the Premier leauge. if not what was the highest climb one team has made if anyone knows that weird stat?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFC_Wimbledon
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.C._United_of_Manchester
midsussexfl.co.uk/nineres.html
youtube.com/watch?v=NbsXfLq5gbE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

not too long ago bournemouth narrowly avoided relegation from league 2 to the conference, now they're in the premier league and staying up quite comfortably.

That's actually pretty cool!

Swansea as well, also Southampton spent a lot of time in the lower leagues.

Wimbledon was founded like 13 years ago and they're already in League 1 (third tier), meaning they've achieved promotion like 7 times already.

The lowest tier in England is like 23rd or something. Even new clubs don't usually start that low.

Almost any football country has that system

In Argentina, Arsenal (Sarandi) went from the lowest tier to winning a South American championship

In Brazil, Chapecoense got 2 promotions and won a South American championship with the same squad

America Doesn't have this intricate of a system

what's the point of even starting a team then lol

its mostly because of how big our country is. The amount of resources to have a team travel across the country for a full season is a lot more than just taking a train ride 2 hours to manchester or some shit. basically the only thing that i could see happening in to some form of promotion relegation is college football where you have the winners of the major conferences (ACC SEC BIG10 etc) or who ever is in top 10 at the end of the season, qualify for champions league next year instead of playing in the conference theyre apart of which theyre already started a playoff system but its trash. the only real prblem with this is you lose a few rivalry games but the money and views for those games would be more than enough to lose a few of those.

tldr champions league in college (american) football would actually work

oh fuck i never thought of this. i like it.

i always thought that baseball was set up pretty well to do a promotion/relegation system. in football, a worse team will almost always lose, in baseball a AAA team actually has a chance.

yes hello

Brazil is bigger than the contiguous us, we have teams from the south (Grêmio and Inter) playing against teams from the northeast (Sport, Bahia, Vitória, etc) the whole year in different competitions. If we as a third world country manage to do it you guys would be more than capable.

Recife to Porto Alegre distance = 3.800 km
San Francisco to New York = 4.600 km

If Russia can manage to transport their top division teams across the country then I'm sure the USA can do it too. You could even keep the play-offs, have the 32 teams split into 4 geographical mini-leagues of 8 teams where they play each other. The top two teams of each mini-league advances to the play-offs, the bottom team gets relegated to a lower division.

This!!

We also have the FA Cup where teams from level 1 to level 10 all have a chance to win the trophy, with teams from the higher divisions entering the competition at a later round. This year we had two teams from the 5th division get pretty far in the tournament. Sutton United reached the last 16 and Lincoln City reached the last 8.

> A bunch of independent business operating leagues almost exclusively for their own gain, often at the expense of what is good for the sport.

Sounds like regular leagues around the world. Seriously tho, the system is a great improvement, but it needs a "national sport project" to actually make it work.
You can even american-appealing strategies to approach USA to the relegation system. Like a reverse play-offs. Worst teams in the league play knock out stages, the ones who lose the two-legs round keeps advancing, until there is two left. The team that loses the final aka the team that lost every single stage, gets relegated.

how many traveling fans usually show up for something like that? round trip airline tickets here are usually around $250 at the absolute minimum. hotel and food in those expensive cities make it totally cost prohibitive.

that's why the lower leagues are a pyramid, it is spit into regions so the small teams don't have to spend a fortune travelling to games

>As an American
Why do people say this if there are flags?

some of us don't actually live in the country we're posting from

>be me
>in america for uni
>make awful posts to make yanks look bad

kek i see what you did there

see
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFC_Wimbledon

Also see:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.C._United_of_Manchester

for the love of the game

23rd tier is essentially amateurs, as if you and your buddies formed a team

US has a cup like that too, it dates back to like the 1920s. A couple of years after MLS formed a 2nd division team won the cup.

Yeah Bournemouth is a particularly good example. I was born and raised in Bournemouth incidentally, and I remember when I was at school we used to go around the town in groups and knock on people's doors, asking for any spare change. The reason we did it was because AFC Bournemouth was in so much financial trouble that it looked like it would fall out of existence at any moment for quite some time. Finances were so bad that the FA deducted Bournemouth 17 points before one season even began, meaning they begun the year on -17 in the league table. Despite these financial troubles and the huge task ahead of the team, they somehow survived relegation that year, and even though the team remains a very small one with a tiny stadium and no historical success whatsoever, AFC Bournemouth somehow rose all the way up to the Premier League and are now shown in every corner of the world.

Looking back at how we used to collect spare change as kids out of wishful thinking more than really believing the club could be saved, and then watching the team play the likes of Man United, Chelsea and Liverpool today still stuns me. I don't think anyone in the town has processed what has happened yet. I'm glad we have the tier system in this country because it allows for these stories, and Bournemouth is just one of many similar stories, albeit arguably one of the most surprising.

The PYRAMIDZ N SHEIT satisfy my autism 3bh

Its basically intermural sports

This is the website for the literal lowest spot on the pyramid, level 22
midsussexfl.co.uk/nineres.html

And here's a game from level 20
youtube.com/watch?v=NbsXfLq5gbE

>underpaying the women's national team

Whoever made this is retarded.