Pikes in front, archers behind

>Pikes in front, archers behind

What did he mean by this ?

Orc commander has more tactical sense than the elves
>hurr let's jump over the shield line

dat pathetic orclet in the background trying to compensate with a skull on his head

>it's gonna be 3 stinking days of siege
>and when we breach the walls... you know what's for supper

That's basically how most cavalry vs infantry battles went down. Set your pikes up front to take down the horses, and archers providing fire from behind. The only reason the orcs lost was because they got scared and broke rank, battles like that are basically one massive game of chicken.

Saruman is literally thousands of years old and didn't bother telling the uruk hai to do basic scouting before laying siege

why didn't they have the nazgul fly their dragons over Minas Tirith, burn the place to a crisp from above and then casually stroll in and take the city

ballistas

Saru was always more interested in having power rather than achieving it.

CATA POULT!

Those aren't uruk hai in the picture

>you know what's for supper

A hot meal?

I know I was talking about one of the good films and a siege in that

>dragons

Why didn't Gothmog use scouts to warn him about any approaching armies?

Why didn't the Rohan army just charge the orcs when they were disorganized instead of posing in plain sight for five minutes?

Do you really think that he could predict that anyone would come to gondor's aid? At that time, defeat wasn't even an option for the commanders.
And when rohan arrived to minas tirith, you can see that they are scared. You cannot make your army charge when the moral and hopes are down. That's why theoden gave that epic speech to lift his troop's moral.

Well I mean, you know, those weren't dragons.

don't waste your time, nowadays every highschool faggot wants to invent the new "eagles to mordor" meme

fish was back on the menu and he was deciding which should be listed first.

>Do you really think that he could predict that anyone would come to gondor's aid?

Yes, because Rohan has just trashed Saruman's entire army, and would now logically have to support the other human kingdom in the war?

>And when rohan arrived to minas tirith, you can see that they are scared. You cannot make your army charge when the moral and hopes are down. That's why theoden gave that epic speech to lift his troop's moral.

I didn't see anyone scared besides Merry.

>stop poking holes in muh kino

>WUAAAAAAGH
What did the mean by this?

probably he's wondering what's on the menu

I got you famalam

>want to discuss thing
>too much of a dumb faggot to actually think of a subject
>''what did he mean by this?''

I hate all of you.

>Recktaur Longstick

kek

every fucking time

I was an orc extra ins TTT and ROTK AMA

Were you an Uruk or a faggot Morgul rat?

No, he could have made the speech before going over the hill and exposing his force.The movie had multiple shots of the orcs realizing they were flanked and turned their lines to face them. If rohan just charged straight in the orcs would have had been unprepared.

Why didn't they take the Eagles over the misty mountains? No need to go through Moria.

This is the Blue Dog of laughing at bad posts. He had visited you to laugh at your bad post. Delete this or suffer his curse.

>Looks like meat's back on the menu boys!

What did he mean by this?

How did they know what a menu is, if they were savage beasts? Are there orc restaurants? Is the Orc Chief a connoisseur?

>dragons
you fucking with me or just retarded?

Moreover, why does he say "boys"? Isn't this term inappropriate for orcs?

What was on the menu?

holy shit that's so bad lol

>bumfuck goblin savages have better equipment than Sauron's army

Why didn't eru (god) just come down and destroy the ring?

I still don't understand why the fuck would you do this.

Can't believe Tolkien didn't think of this. What a hack

>mfw watching that in the cinema

I laughed so loud, but everyone started looking at me with that uncomfortable stare. Somebody threw popcorn too...

Sure it breaks the charge, but why not have 3 more lines of spears instead of throwing knife ears into the grinder?

Why dont God come down an just exterminate all the jews? Because he acts through prophets, like Adolph Hitler

watching this is so painful

GROND GROND GROND

For you.

he didn't realize he was in the wrong universe

That's RotK

They lost because of invincible ghost army killing everyone in seconds.

>Great engines crawled across the field; and in the midst was a huge ram, great as a forest-tree a hundred feet in length, swinging on mighty chains. Long had it been forging in the dark smithies of Mordor, and its hideous head, founded of black steel, was shaped in the likeness of a ravening wolf; on it spells of ruin lay. Grond they named it, in memory of the Hammer of the Underworld of old. Great beasts drew it, orcs surrounded it, and behind walked mountain-trolls to wield it.

No one ever put archers behind, because archers behind can't see and are thus firing blind.

what is this retarded shit god damn i hate the hobbit movies so much

This always trigger my Total War autism, stupid elves

It's seriously a woman.

Nice drawing but yeah no one ever put archers behind several ranks of men and archery in general is overrated and unrealistically depicted in movies and fiction.
Besides in that drawing there's only one rank of spears in front as you can see.

>archers can't see

Lad, they're shooting volleys, not aiming at individual targets.

what anime is this from?

>no pilum throw
bunch of savages

So is the ghost army asspull the same as in the books? I assume they justify it a little more there.

He's right though. Archers didn't actually shoot at targets they can't see like in video games.

They can't even do that without seeing where their volley lands and adjusting. I'm just saying that historically archers fired directly, and they didn't fire at the longest possible distance since penetration is shit.

You are just full of shit.

Okay, let me give you a challenge, find me a single battle where archers were deployed in several ranks behind melee infantry deployed in several ranks.

They all look the same. What was Hackson thinking?

Completely different. In the books the ghosts can't actually touch anyone, they are only used as an instrument of fear. The ghosts scare away Saurons reinforcement, allowing Aragorn, along with a small army of men from southern Gondor who he just rallied, to take their boats and sail to Minas Tirith.

In the book, they thought that the north part of the rammas echor would never fall, or at least would hold long enough for the orcs to slaughter everyone
Rohan only won there because Theoden took an old road that went around the wall that some filthy wildman told him about

I kind of hated how the Orcish weapons had to be retarded. They seem to have plate armor, but their weapons don't even have straight shafts, and their "pikes" aren't pikes at all, maybe just 1-2 feet taller than they are, and they are short.

...to THIS?

Oh yeah, I remember that dude. Ghan buri ghan or something like that. such an odd character.

Matt?

Why didn't they just use Grond from the start?

They waited for da 'umies to use all their supply of big stones

>there's a race of cavemanlets in the forests of Gondor

Why would he?
>And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined.

People keep telling me to read the books, but does it really read like this?

And yet he did feel the need to sink Numenor, and to bring Gandalf back from the dead.

Only the Silmarillion, and even that is JUST a quote from a character within it

why

Oh yeah, that would have really spurred the audience into a frenzy. Theodin makes his inspirational speech at the bottom of a hill, cut to Gandalf and the Witch King squaring off, then show the riders charging on the orks. But since the orks sent their best scouts to spy on Theodin's army, they are well prepared for the attack and defeat them easily. See? Movies are so much better when you're a fucking autistic grand strategy enthusiast.

That line is from The Silmarillon, which for the most part reads like that. The LOTR books much less so.

Numenorian a shit

Why is Rohan such shit? No one came to Theoden's aid when Edoras was in danger, no one would have come to Helm's Deep had it not been for Gandalf, and Theoden could only muster 6,000 men for the ultimate battle to save all of Middle Earth from Sauron. Was he that bad of a king or were all of his vassals disloyal cowardly shits?

Thanks, lads.

Yeah, for Numénor it's hard to fathom.

He had nothing to do with Gandalf, the Valar did that. Istaris on Middle-earth are like asleep, dreaming maiar. They aren't fully themselves, they can't change form, they don't know all that they know, they forget things, they sleep, etc.
When Gandalf died his spirit returned to Valinor, and they told him "Curumo fucked up. Go once more, and make it right this time". So he became an Istari once more, and returned as the leader of the Istari.

Simarillion is just an excuse for Tolkien to jack off to his expert linguistic skills and his fictional history, it's not a very good book.

Hobbit and LotR are actual stories with a point to them

Those are standard tactics lad

What are they if not dragons? Giant flying lizards?

Why did it seem like Rohan and Gondor had been depopulated, and their armies diminished? Is it explained in the books? Seems like they knew of the coming war, yet they did nothing to prepare.

The formal english is only used by Eru, in the very first chapter. After that it's much more casual.

You may be right, been a while since I last brushed up on my ME lore. I was thinking that only Illuvatar has the abilty to bring someone back from the dead, but Maiar can't really die, so he wouldn't have needed to interfere.

Don't blame me for not turning my brain off during a supposedly serious movie.

Why didn't Sauron and Saruman just breed an army of trolls?

>expert linguistic skill
There is nothing particularly linguistically flashy in the Silmarillion... and there are plenty of stories in them, and they have as much point as Lotr and Hobbit.. the fuck are you on about?

Maiar don't get sent to the Hall of Mandos?

Needs more bloom

In the books it is made much clearer that there are lots of battles being fought all over. And as such many are preoccupied during the events we read about.

>it's not a very good book.
t. melkor the butthurt