Hey Sup Forums its your friendly neighbor from /ic/...

hey Sup Forums its your friendly neighbor from /ic/, ive been making "music" as a hobby for about a month now and im thinking about getting more serious about learning how to make songs so i can listen to my own songs while drawing lol, are there any really important music fundamentals i should learn first or any sites that have a huge catalog of music tutorials?

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/user-85094459-283281416/haha-music-get-it-music-haha
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

post some of your music?

If you're serious, go to university / college and major in composition.

You can't really compare to university education when it comes to learning how music works.

if you just want to learn a few things, go to music.net and follow the tutorials.

To make music, there isn't really much you need to know. It's mostly just copying other people and grinding out songs, until you can make something that sounds good. You could delve into music theory, but that's not necessary, although it is rather helpful. Not sure how good you are at self teaching, but learning music theory can be tedious, as a lot of memorization is involved. A couple things you should at least know (and that everyone should know) are how to read music, how to form a chord, and how to form some of the more common types of scales. There is a music production general on this board, /prod/, that has a lot of helpful links and tutorials if you're interested.

sure let me put it o a soundcloud

soundcloud.com/user-85094459-283281416/haha-music-get-it-music-haha

watch a video on mixing with the FL mixer

(wont flame you because you just started)

>going to college for music
>ever

Unless you're playing classical, there's no point

is my mixing complete trash or kind of bad? are there any rules of thumb or patterns when it comes to mixing

you can learn a lot about songwriting and production too. Its not just classical.

t. 90k music degree

what a boring ass melody

REVERB
DELAY

that paino is so dry

how do you make good melodies? (not op)

You haven't really told us what you even know. Do you need to know which plugins do you use? Do you know anything about mixing and the mixer, synths, or music theory?

no, its all a matter of taste

but generally you want to eq all of your instruments, drums included, so that freqencys don't clash and make the song unbalenced

watch out for the low end expecially bc you mix will get muddy fast if they arent tamed

it took me a while to start coming up with melodys

i've been producing for almost a year now and i've just recently started to come up with melodys that are actually good

but

practice, use a midi keyboard, and play from intuition

remember: intuition plays and intellect edits and refines

all the respources you need are on the internet, fuck college. not to mention that almost of music skill is brought about by practice, not studying

what if i cant get a midi keyboard? would just using my keyboard work fine

Im really new to making music ive made like 7 songs over 1 month but theyre all bad, i dont know how mixing works other than you can change the volume of stuff, but i do know how the little knobs on the synths work. i dont know exactly what they all do though so i usually just play around with the settings. i use sforzando with arachne soundfont and the livedrumsynth form fl studio, didnt think that was relevant. all i know is that triads sound good together and i kind of know a little about chord progression but i dont know how to use it in a song

i mean yea sure, but midi keyboards arent expensive or complicated to use so i dont see why you wouldn't just pick one up

random guess but if its bc you dont want people to know what you're doing then fuck that do what you want. anyone who shoots someone down for wanting to learn a new craft just stupid so their opinions are invalid

dont have space in my room id have to clear out a lot of stuff to fit a midi keyboard only 12 keys wide unless it was really small

>all the respources you need are on the internet

>respources

Nothing compares to having a structured program that guides your through the aspects of how music works, stating from the basics and moving through most of the different styles and techniques out there. There are a lot of resources online, but people generally don't know where to start or just can't be bothered going through them all. Plus there is a lot of overlap.

If you're serious about learning how music works. University / College is the way to go. If you're not serious, stay amateur :^)

well im doing it as a hobby anyways lol, so im fine with being an amateur as long as im a good amateur :^)