Have any of you fags been homeless...

Have any of you fags been homeless? I’m thinking about packing my bags and maybe getting a gym membership to bathe and taking a blanket, toothbrush, and razor to be presentable to my job

bump

I grew up mostly homeless.
It sucks shit. Would not recommend unless you enjoy being on the very bottom of the socioeconomic ladder or just give no shits about what people think and how they will treat you.

Also hope you live somewhere warm because finding a place to sleep when it's 20 degrees outside is the most garbage bit of my life experience.

why the fuck would you choose to be homeless what the fuck is wrong with you kids

I was close. If it wasn't for my brothers my gf and I would have been.

It's definitely nothing to strive for.

What about living in the woods OP? Does that fit your criteria or are you looking to stay in a populated area?

My opinion is that in modern society everyone should be prepared in the case that they lose their home. It happens all the time.

What's the backup plan in that case?

I've got a small paid-off house that I currently rent out, but of shit got fucked up, I move in there and can survive in there for a long-ass time.

I've slept on the streets, been to soup kitchens, shelters, detoxes, etc

It's a hard life style, some people are crazy, the nights are long..

I had an argument with my mom and she took my xbox off me

I fucking loved detox bro, that shit is like a holiday with free meds

Technically, I was homeless all of last year. I was working in London all week, and lived in a 15 bed dorm in a hostel. The money I was making working was enough to cover my "rent" for the hostel and to eat in the evenings, but was really shitty. Used to shower at work, and the evenings were terrible as I couldn't afford to do anything, and you were hard-pressed to find something to do in a hostel.
Couldn't even join a library as I had no fixed address. Strangely, I found at that this wasn't uncommon; at one point there were 4 other people "living" there the same as I was. One guy even worked for the same company, in the same building, as me. Know this probably isn't the same scenario for OP, just thought I would share.

> TLDR
> Classed as homeless for 1 year
> Wouldn't recommend it

oh, well damn fuck her then, yeah get out on the streets it's your only option now

Yeah I liked detox too. So much I went five times

First day sucks tho

I was 'homeless' for about 5 months once in college.

I used the college gym for showers. Carried everything I owned in a big duffel bag (stored some stuff over at a friend's.) I had a 'job' as college Radio DJ 4 hours a week but because it was from midnight to 4am I had a key to the student union building so I crashed on one of the couches there. I ate cup o noodles or 3/$1 hotdogs from the gas station. Laundry at an aunt's house on Sundays.

I remember it kind of sucking at the time but over the years I've romanticized it my mind and frequently tell the story of how I survived 'homeless' in college. Most of he people I work with are pretty well off so they appreciate the hardships I've had to endure to get where I am today.

I've been homeless for a year and a half now. I'm currently in a homeless shelter now, I've been there a week and I was on a waiting list to get in for a year. Also, I live in the northeast US so I've had to deal with being outside in extreme cold.

Ask me anything regarding my homelessness and I'll answer truthfully.

Did your mom ground you from your Xbox too?

how did you become homeless?

No. I lost my job.

In your opinion, how does homelessness happen? (Aside from burned-out drugmeisters who don't give a shit, of course)

Is it a gradual slide or a surprise series of devastating changes over a short period of time?

I'll be straight with you
Being homeless isn't terrible IF and only if you're not fucking retarded and know how to stay alive.
Pick a place that is decently warm all year yet has decent wildlife you could catch for food and you're pretty much golden.

How are you on Sup Forums

I was living with my girlfriend and our three year old daughter when I lost my job due to developing a medical condition. The bitch left me proving that all she cared about was my money, and I couldn't pay the rent.

What can the average person do to either prevent or prepare for homelessness?

I think even in the NE there are a myriad of programs/shelters/churches that will help you out. My understanding is that all you need to do to get help is to be willing to follow their rules. (No alcohol, no disruption at night or during prayer, etc.) have you not even looked for one? Or are you unwilling to bow to their wishes?

Homelessness can happen to almost everyone for many different reasons. The average american household is only one paycheck away from homelessness at any given time. Many of the homeless are there because of mental illness.

Because computers and the internet are a thing.

If possible, make sure you save enough money to be able to survive and pay rent for at least a few months if you were to lose your income. Know where your local soup kitchens and homeless shelters are. Have good luck.

yeah i was homeless for 1 month this summer, not really that bad, i was 19 and started selling weed so i always had a shitload on me, couch surfed my friends who had an apartment which was lucky for me.

Got a flat myself with my mate, who turned out to be psychotic, and got a new roommate who found the light apparently and now he is doll as fuck and gonna move too.

So im sitting in a 3 bedroom apartment myself for 3 months gonna pay rent is gonna be hard as fuck. I had 2 friends who considered moving in but couldnt.

So now i got 3 months to get a smaller apartment while getting assfucked by the huge rent. wish me luck. i might start selling cocaine

that "vagina" is obviously an inverted trans "vagina". disgusting

Yes, there are programs available, but there are also hundreds of other homeless people, I'm not the only one. The waiting list at the local homeless shelter was so long it took me a year to get in. Contrary to popular belief, churches typically don't do shit for the homeless, much less let you just move in.

So live below your means and have an ass-ton of cash invested.

If you were to have a chance to "do it all over again", what preparations would you do that would have made a difference?

Mom made me clean my room and one less chicken tindie

Really not much I could have done differently as my circumstances were beyond my control, but I would have saved more money and invested in a storage unit and a shit ton of blankets and sleeping-bags for the winter instead of wasting money on motel rooms when I first became homeless.

Was homeless for 4 months. Slept in my car. Your gona need a few things to "comfortably" pull this off. It is vital u have a car (with tinted windows) a job, 2nd shift is about the only u cud work to compatibly pull this off. ( u cant sleep in yur car during the day bc of the heat and light), a laptop and a gym membership to shit shower n shave. U need the laptop for emails (jobs) making a resume, dating sites and general entertainment at coffee shops, (free wifi) so u dont go insane from boredom. u can always shack up with dating site bitches as it gets colder outside. Around 40 degrees at night the brisk cold air wud wake me up over and over in my car.

That's from the 80s. The government told the churches their programs would work better and that their charity was no longer required because the government would take over and to tell their parishioners to pay their taxes instead of donating to the church

Yes, because homeless people can afford cars and have no problem finding work.

staying on a friends couch while smoking weed isnt being homeless you fucking faggot

You are talking out of your ass.

just edgy af

Buy a cheap van, throw a mattress in it, get a gym membership, and never look back.
100% serious
cheaprvliving.com

Here? On this website ? You can't be serious

this is advice for able minded homeless not the mentally ill. if you are homeless, your not paying bloodsucking bills or rent. so youve got no excuse not to have a car. you can save up for a good used car off $12-$15 hr in 3 - 4 weeks. again, YOU HAVE TO HAVE A CAR or yur proper fucked. i worked in a logistics warehouse with convicted felons. no excuse, anyone can get a job anywhere.

One thing that gets me for US people is that in smaller towns and cheaper parts of the US, you can literally get a house for the price of a car.

Why don't people just buy one when they can to just eliminate that homeless possibility?

Spent 8 months without a home while in university.
There was no dorms available and I couldn't find an apartment.
Got my self an old army surplus tent (4 person tent, water & wind proof) and a stove.
Set up camp in the woods nearby.
Summer was a breeze, comfy as fuck.
Winter though, shit. -40 degrees kinda sucks when you need to clean your self or take a shit.
Luckily I got a dorm room after that.

Lived like that for a couple years. It's shit but better than the streets.

I really hope you didn't fall for the "just buy a membership and sleep in the gym" meme

It's fun. Just level up ur survival abilities and you'll be good

It's only shit if you make it shit. I live in a van, by choice. I make ~50k/yr. No rent, no debt. I'm often juggling 5 girls at a time. It's all how you spin it.

bumperinho

do the girls know u live in a van? if so do u invite them over?

This here. Not a joke not perfect but will work. Fine a camp gound area for cheap and you can "camp" and they got showers and all. No one will fuck with you. The winter months are going to be the worst. Get a cheap gym membership. Use free restaurant internet. If you live near the interstate they got rest stops find them those are some ok places to sleep. You need a first or second shift job. 3rd isn't going to work at

Yes they know. That's part of it. Like I said, it all depends how you spin it.

"I'm homeless and I live in a van" = people think you're a destitute bum.

"I live off-grid and travel wherever I want in my custom tinyhome on wheels" = omg I want to acquire your lifestyle through my pussy juice.

Yes I invite them over. Quite honestly I could not count the number of girls I've fucked in the back of my van if I my life depended on it.

It's shit because we have winters here.. Cold winters.
There is no proper way to insulate a van enough to sustain heat when it's -30 outside..

Vandweller here, your advice sucks.
-Screw camp grounds. Never pay for parking.
-Screw winter. Drive somewhere warm.
-Learn a trade. Make your own money.

When your house is on wheels, you have the advantage of no longer being tethered to "here." Drive somewhere warm.

Also, I am currently designing from scratch a vehicle house that will sustain such temperatures in the northeast. But you are correct, that is not feasible for a beginning vandweller.

>Drive somewhere warm
And just ditch my job? Great idea there buddy.
Without a job I couldn't even afford gas money out of town..

If you live in a van, and you haven't saved up enough to have gas money for a while, then yes ditch your job. Jobs are easy to find. Get another one that pays better. Learn a trade and make your own money. You have no rent, you have mobility, all the options are yours. Don't stay stuck in your life and make excuses.

>Jobs are easy to find
Not for me, took 2 years to find my current one..

Minimalism. I've gotten rid of everything just to have less to worry about. I hear stories of people losing their homes to forest fires and tsunamis and I'm like, damn, what's the point in aquiring all that just to have it all be lost one day?

Plus I mean, when you die, you're not taking anything with you anyway. So why spend your life trying to obtain it. Waste of time and life.

People would do well to downsize everything. Maybe not be homeless, but be happy with what they have.

I've done it. Don't do it unprepared.

When i did it, I prepared for it entirely. Got myself a 5.11 Rush 72 backpack with molle webbing. I was going to get a military style duffle bag but in the long term I figured it would kill my back. The Rush 72 comes with an internal bar to help with support. The molle makes clipping things onto your pack a dream come true.

Also downsize on what you'll need. Down bother with the blanket because anything other than wool, won't keep you warm, and wool is heavy as fuck so it's weight will cripple you.

Best opt for a down sleeping bag. They're super light and will keep you toasty in more extreme temps.

Also, get yourself a solar panel that can clip onto your bag. The molle should help immensely with this. Get an external battery bank. Use this to power your cellphone. Your cellphone will be your main source of entertainment when you can pick up a wifi signal. If you can still find a cellphone with a removable battery, this will help a ton.

For hair clippers, get one that runs off USB. This is hard because I think there's only two that do this, but you're going to need as little power as possible and as long as your gear runs off USB, you're fine.

When it comes to clothing, only wool. Everything has to be wool. I know I said it's heavy, but when it's next to your skin, it will save your life. Avoid cotton and synthetics at all costs. For warm weather use 100% linen.

For socks, only get Darn Tough wool socks, as they have a world class warranty where they will replace them if they ever get holes. They're expensive, but the best.

A packable winter down jacket also help if it gets cool.

A goretex raincoast is a must. It doesn't have to be super expensive like Arc'Teryx, just something to keep you dry during the rain. I have an Outdoor Research Foray which unzips on the sides.

Basically, review what survivalists carry and then minimize. You aren;t heading into the wilderness, so carrying a bunch of food makes no sense.