*Saves Jazz

*Saves Jazz

Other urls found in this thread:

rbt.asia/mu/thread/75278325/#75278823
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

more like saves jizz lmao

*makes jazz accessible for hip hop and indie rock fans by playing repetitive and simple music with the creativity and harmonic palette of a rock guitarist

Pack it in boys.

wrong album OP

>"it's bad because it's not complex"

fuck off

Nobody said that. Stop making non-arguments about imaginary statements.

literally look at the post I quoted

>repetitive and simple music

simple is the opposite of complex

>muh music theory
It's good music. People like it. Get over it.

New album is kino

>playing repetitive and simple music
are you retarded you clearly did.

Where does it say bad?

Just take a moment of self reflection here. You're the only one here equating "simple" with "bad". Why do you suppose you're so defensive?

I guess everything that people like must be good huh?

>repetitive and simple music

A lot of people take this as a virtue.

because people are saying that it being simple is the reason it's bad

I'm not sure what you don't get here

Will anybody buy my album in which I just play 1 note for two hours?

Will anybody buy my 900 page novel in which I only use 12 different words?

Will anybody watch my TV show which is just two characters talking about the weather for 24 episodes?

Complexity doesn't matter right?

Where has anybody in this thread said that besides you?

I don't think jazz needed saving. It's fine

Right artist, wrong album

Kasami is simple but not THAT simple. it would be more accurate to compare him to a writer with minimal prose but still talented, such as Hemingway.

Compared to actual jazz artists he IS that simple. Besides it still disproves the argument
>it's bad because it's not complex

You're literally admitting that complexity is important.

I meant compared to other musicians in general, not jazz.

Like compare Kasami to an ambient or drone album and obviously what him and his band are far more complex. But that doesn't mean ambient and drone are bad, they're just a different style.

Jazz snobs are so rooted in their traditions that they view any form of breaking out of a tried and true academic style is bad.

also nice job completely fucking up your quotes dumbass

boring album.

The Epic is not that bad. At this point everyone knows that Kamasi is a very very basic soloist who can only do one thing but does it reasonably well.

But anyone who says he is "saving jazz" or a "jazz great" or something like that is obviously very ignorant of jazz. People like him because he's simple and makes accessible music but popularity doesn't make someone great.

It's pop jazz plain and simple. Our generations Kenny G.

>Our generations Kenny G.

hell no, even if you hate him he's not even close to that bad

Lol
>well this is a god awful jazz album but compared to some ambient or drone album it's actually pretty good

ok buddy

Why is Kenny G bad?

Somebody please name just one good reason why Kenny G is bad that I couldn't just as validly say about Kamasi W

It's good music. People like it. Get over it.

that's not what I'm saying, I'm comparing the musical styles, not the quality

to add to this, what I mean is, jazz snobs think "complexity" means "quality" when the reality is that complexity is just a musical style that can make for good or bad music in almost any genre.

That only works if you're arguing against someone who's saying drone or ambient are good. I'm not.

Why do jazz purists have no sense of spirituality?

Nobody thinks that but when you limit your level of complexity to extreme levels then you are also going to limit how good your music can be.

Because you can claim that any old shit is spiritual or lacking in spirituality and be completely justified. It's meaningless in the context of discussion.

Why can't you elitists understand how great Kenny G is? His music is so spiritual and emotional.

wrong, you can subjectively not like ambient/drone/minimal music but that doesn't mean it can't be maximum quality

lol just shut the fucking up

Ambient and drone music and your and my opinions of them are not relevant in the slightest to this discussion. Let's move on to something relevant.

What a mature and meaningful response.

I will stop bringing up complexity when people stop criticizing Kasami by stating or making implications that his playing is too simple and/or complex.

You're the only one taking it as a criticism my friend. Some of us are just pointing out objective facts about his music. You're free to interpret them how you will.

It seems awfully telling though that you are so hell-bent on interpreting it as criticism.

it is very obvious that jazz snobs are using it as a criticism

why would they post it otherwise? everyone is aware of it.

So what's everyone's favorite Kenny G album? Aren't we lucky that he saved jazz in the 80s?

Funny then how many people seemed to think it wasn't true before irrefutable proof was posted.

[citation needed]

As requested here is a citation
rbt.asia/mu/thread/75278325/#75278823

>Kamasi Washington is good because I think he sounds good
>everyone who doesn't think he sounds good is a snob

lol is this seriously your whole argument?

Actually there's an important third part that you forgot, which is
>he's popular so he must be good!

I mean objectively speaking he's not wrong, Kasami does more than that, the solos that JTG dissected visually are just a few cherrypicked from a THREE HOUR LONG ALBUM. if someone wants to analyze every solo on the album and show that they are ALL super simple, then they shouldn't be claiming he's simple anyways.

>he's bad because he's simple!
>he's bad because he's repetitive!
>he's bad because of his hip-hop "production style"!
>he's bad because he's P4Kcore!

etc.

Even having two or three solos or whatever it was is pretty telling. How about you find me a solo by literally ANY OTHER JAZZ ARTIST recorded after 1950 that uses as little harmonic variation as one of those Kamasi solos. I'll be waiting.

PS- I'm sure that such a thing exists but I doubt you'll find it. Don't worry, even if you do I'll be happy to tell you that that artist is just as limited and basic as Kamasi.

Now you're just listing more reasons it's supposedly bad. All of which, by the way, are more valid and discussion-worthy than
>it sounds good

>How about you find me a solo by literally ANY OTHER JAZZ ARTIST recorded after 1950 that uses as little harmonic variation as one of those Kamasi solos. I'll be waiting.

check out Kenny G

I sure will. As requested, please post any transcribed solo of his and show that it is less harmonically varied than the Kamasi Washington solos posted.

I think The Epic is really bad because Kamasi Washington sounds really bad.

I just don't like Kamasi Washington because I think he sounds bad!

I know! There is just no emotion or spirituality to his music.

So true so true. Now Johnny Ramone, THERE was a great jazz artist. So simple and tasteful. None of that horrible complexity! Only a jazz snob and elitist would disagree.

yes desu
there has to be some sort of appeal, and who's to say one reason for appreciating something is less valid than another?

I'd put him closer to our generation's late-career Wes Montgomery

Definitely! It's so full of emotion. I just can't imagine where the jazz world would be without him. It's really sad how all the jazz songs don't even recognize his music as jazz! He was truly one of the greatest jazz artists of all time.

I know! Why can't Kamasi Washington make jazz that's as good as Johnny Ramone? Why does he try so hard to be complex with his fancy blues scales and 4 whole chords per song? What's wrong with three power chords? These faggot elitists who think jazz needs to have complexity are just holding jazz back.

Do you like Ringo Starr by any chance? In my opinion he pretty much invented jazz drumming and then closed the book on it too since no other jazz drummer has even come close.

Oh of course my man! Ringo Star is definitely the greatest jazz drummer of all time. No question. I mean sure, there maybe some jazz drummers who could play more "complex" than him but only those gatekeeper snob elitists think complexity matters. I'm so glad we can discuss good jazz in this thread without any of those pesky snobs trying to butt in.

>missing the appeal behind the epic this hard