Best concept albums?

Best concept albums?

what's the concept here? sucking ass?

This isn't a concept album m8

Nightclubs in an English steel town, seeing the same people every weekend, pretending you're having fun

Come On, Feel the Illinoise by Sufjan Stevens

This is clearly the greatest concept album of all time.

A repetitive theme isn't the same as a concept album

I thought it was an album that is essentially equal to more than the sum of it's parts

I don't especially dislike it but it's not a concept album

is that adam sandler?

A concept album is supposed to tell a story or set a scene, like The Wall, Animals, Trick Of The Tail and Tommy. Albums that seem to have themes are just themed as such, not exactly a concept album unless it's trying to tell a story or show a message

>step aside lad

>Implying Tommy is better than Sell Out or Quad
Heh, now that's pretty funny

that shit isn't a concept album, pic related is.

obligatory

All of their stuff but this one is the best, followed by The Afterman

"Joe's Garage ties the dual extremes of Frank Zappa's sensibility closer together than ever. An attack on authoritarianism in which fascist governments, self-help pseudoreligions and the music industry are inextricably linked, the opera simultaneously tells the tale of a boy and girl. The boy, Joe, sings the title tune about his humble rock & roll band whose day of fame came and quickly went. Most of Act I is given over to the saga of Joe's girlfriend, Mary, who moves from blowing Catholic boys in the church basement (having been tutored by the parish's resident expert, Father Riley) to being "Crew Slut" for a touring rock group to competing in a "Wet T-Shirt Nite" contest for bus fare home, where she arrives wrecked for good. Hearing of her exploits, Joe seeks consolation from a taco-stand waitress, who gives him VD.

In Act II, Joe joins L. Ron Hoover's Church of Appliantology, in which he learns that he's a "latent appliance fetishist." He studies German (don't ask why), dresses as a housewife (ditto) and goes to a bar called the Closet. There, he picks up a Kitchen Machinery named Sy Borg, who "plooks" him with his "hot curly weenie" and takes him home for an orgy with an orally fixated Gay Bob doll. However, Joe destroys Sy Borg in some S&M byplay, is sent to jail and gang-banged by a squadron of record-company executives. Music has been outlawed by the government in an attempt to unify the people through "total criminalization," so our hero survives his prison term by imagining guitar solos.

Released from jail at the beginning of Act III, Joe enters an orderly society of mindless, obedient consumers. Still crazed, he thinks that everyone can hear his imagined guitar solos and that critics are even reviewing them. Then, after a vision of Mary convinces him it's all in his head, he dutifully forgets music and gets a job in the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen. This pleases the Central Scrutinizer, who's narrated the entire fantastic story."

10/10 concept album

Finally, someone regognizes Tommy is the superior Who album

This

Watertown
In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning
Tom Waits - Alice

So fucking underrated

Pic related is my favorite album of all time. Based on Edgar Allen Poe's novel, the music fits the story so perfectly. Even if it wasn't a concept album it would be a musical masterpiece imo.

Other honorable mention concept albums are
Nameless by Form / Void (lo-fi acoustic)
Blood in our Wells by Drudkh (atmospheric black metal)
Metropolis p.2 by Dream Theater (the only album by them that I think is well thought-out, i.e. anything other than a giant wankfest.)

it's funny how you mention wankfests and scenes from a memory, because that album has one of the wankiest prog songs of all time

Is that Adam Sandler?

beat me to it