Bass thread. What do you play?

Bass thread. What do you play?

Post a pic.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/rJhzoM36hjc
youtu.be/WoshKZ2zZWY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Q: Why did the bass player cross the road?
A: Because his dick was stuck in the chicken.

HERRR DERRRR

Fender Jazz fretless, seymour pickups. Will be running super light steel strings in future.

Do most people use flat wounds for fretless? Or are round wounds ok?

Rounds wear into the fingerboard more, but either are fine depending on what sound you're after.

Traditionally, thomastik-infeld flats on a rosewood board will give you something close to the "iconic" fretless sound.

I wanna get an Ibanez bass so bad. I love the Ibanez GSR 200 BK, I'm prolly getting it this month.

Peavey Grind 5. Love this thing, but don't know too much about it. I know my homie had work done on/did something with pick-ups.

your bass is a beast, what songs do you enjoy playing?

Fender Crafted in Japan Jaguar Bass

And my Squire Bass VI modded with a Staytrem bridge to keep its intonation perfect and playable without buzz. Switched out the strings with a custom set from Kalium.

I have been thinking about getting a Carl Thompson

Thanks, my dude! I usually just play shit that I've written, but I draw a lot of inspiration from Tool - so I'll play the FUCK out of Jambi, Schism, etc.

lol of course you do faggot

Play it user, if it sounds good and feels nice then it's worth getting

Those older washburn and yamaha basses were nice for the money user, enjoy it!

Second hand is the way to go, unless you're well off and very patient. I think Carl resells a few second hand ones at his shop, a good excuse to take a trip to NY.

>Second hand is the way to go, unless you're well off and very patient. I think Carl resells a few second hand ones at his shop, a good excuse to take a trip to NY.

I'm not the user talking about the CT bass.

Oops, must have misplaced my (You)s.
Here's an extra (You) on the house to smooth things over.

I need a new amp. Probably going to go with a Fender rumble 40. Anyone got any experience with them?

Yeah, they're amazing amps for the price. The weight is good, the sound is tremendous. Much better than the V1 Rumbles.

If you're adventurous and want something awesome for a good price, build yourself a Bill Fitzmaurice cab user.

I recently got in the the bass game and need an amp recommendation. What do you guys recommend? Not looking to spend more than $600.

2nd hand markbass/eden wt series lad.

I have been enjoying this Noel Redding signature bass through a Traynor 800 and 1x15 Carvin.

Based thread

The fucking Warwick $$ has been my dream for fucking years.

yamaha

I've had this guy for about 12 years. I neglect it and really need to pick it back up.

Recently bought a jackson js2 js. It's my first bass. It was affordable and played nicely. Could I have done better in that price range? It was 250

Does it sound good? If it does, then there's a real good chance you've done well.

OP here, I love mine. I have played so many different basses and it's still the clearest, and feels awesome.

I actually have two, a red one and a natural, both double bucks.

I almost got an Fender American Geddy Lee bass recently and just got another Warwick instead.

I wish Warwick would do a Fortress double buck, that body shape looks cooler to me than the corvette. I could never afford a custom shop Warwick though. :/

this - Traben array 5S. Originally a 5-string, because I thought i'd be playing metal, but I somehow ended up in a blues-rock band and took one off. I'm thinking about buying a fender jazz bass once I have some more money, does anyone have experience with those?

That shape is actually really cool.

I guess that cutout in the Grind bass, and on this is so you can pluck better if you play slap.

Hofner B-bass HI series (made in 2010)
Alston Violin Bass (built from a kit, cherry red)
Fender Precision bass
I don't have any photos.

This with a Vox Pathfinder Bass 10 at home and a Hartke A100 with my band.

That looks badass.

I suck at it

Is speed regulated?

There should be a lubricating tube at the end of the dildo but what do I know

I got my first bass for Christmas, and have been teaching myself and using yousician thus far. Any advice for getting better at playing?

I wouldn't use yousician personally, but it can't hurt. Just find songs you like to play, look up tabs on something like Songsterr, and play along. I progressed really quickly just doing this for an hour everyday. You'll get a grasp on the basics.

Just play a lot.

There nothing more you can do. You have to get inspired. Finding fun stuff to play is how people get better.

Yahama TRBX 174. I'm a beginner.

Maybe show me how you jam

What this user said and also look up YouTube lessons. Tons of free shit. Personally I learned by watching bass covers and YouTube lessons.

dat design tho

>plays in a non-metal band
>removes B string
now that's a whole new level of retardation

well... you don't slap that much in metal now, do you?

Here's mine, plz rate.

You could probably get a decent used ltd or Mexican fender or similar for the same price of a new gsr and it will sound and feel better. Not to bash ibanez cause they're good instruments for the most part but If you dont mind skimming through classifieds you can get good deals on basses sometimes. I just got a near mint ltd b4-e for 300 CAD, about the price of a gsr but a much better instrument.

I love Carl Thompsons but I'd feel too much like a Claypool fanboy

I came here to see this exact post. Have a (you)

are you seriously thinking B string's only use is slapping or am I baited here?

Got two shite basses, amp was a gift from family. Band plays metal mostly

Learn to slap accurately and mute your strings and your b string won't be a problem for you, it will be an asset.

no, sir, I believe you misunderstand. I wanted to start slapping in songs, which is kinda impractical with the B string on (that is if you wanna slap E (or possibly A) like most people). Hence, I took if off.

Custom Overwater string E to C
33" scale
16mm string spacing
Ash body and maple top
Bolt-on 3 piece maple neck
Ebony fingerboard

Gonna get Aguilar DCB's pickups and an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp next

This. You should learn to slap all your strings even up to the G string so you can get slap triplets going across all strings

Nice bass. Why 33" scale? Just for easier "shredding", or sound?

ok, serious question, as I don't know the correct way of this: when slapping with B on, do you mute it with the thumb of your left hand, or the wrist of your right?

Both really. I play lots of jazz and neo-soul stuff so the shorter scale gives a bit less attack, which suits the mellow setting better. Combined with the high C it also makes chords and solos easier since I often play with no guitarist. It kinda sucks for more aggressive playing styles and slap though - wish I still had the Warwick for that.

Whatever is most comfortable, I usually do most of my muting with my left hand fingers, almost never really with my left thumb. When i'm playing the higher strings i usually rest my right thumb against the low strings.

Never wrap your thumb around the neck it's plebian as fuck. I like to just edge the finger I am using to fret on the E string up a tiny bit so the tip just touches the B string and stops it vibrating.

Thumb anchoring is the way to go for precise muting when playing finger style but you can't mute with the thumb and slap at the same time

Poor value for money upgrades user, go for different type strings in a different gauge and some pickups with coil taps if you want a more varied sound.

well I mean yea, I mute higher strings than the one being played with left hand fingers and I also do the right thumb resting when it's suitable. But my question is how do you mute lower strings than the current one when you're slapping?

Baby hands

Moon fretless w/ Carl Thompson electronics

Carl is the fucking man, every other bass feels like a heavy piece of shit after playing one of his. If you can afford one now get it because they will never get cheaper. Awesome to just sit with and talk with too.

My beauty since last August, a Harley Benton Deluxe BZ-6000 NT. Extremely good bass for an awesome price

yea, this actually makes some sense, will try next time. Thanks!

Fender 08 mexican Jazz (maple fingerboard/ neck)

Fender 08 p bass (maple fingerboard/ neck)

Gorgeous bass user, i normally don't dig shiny finishes but will happily make an exception for that beauty.

Not at all. I've played a bunch of strings and the Dunlop Super Brights in extra light are my favourites by far. The Overwater preamp on this bass really sucks for some reason (feels like the frequencies are wrong - treble does virtually nothing and bass does too much) - so gonna go full Aguilar. Changing strings won't do anything in terms of improving the EQ.

Also got an Epiphone Thunderbird and EB 03... (In before picture for ants)

Toby deluxe played through an ampeg ba108v2 - amp doesn’t scream but I like it more than the fenders and it’s cheap as fuck for a decent practice amp

i have squier jazz bass 5 string plays good

shitposting retards

Hey me too, love this model

sorry, yes you're right.

With your left hand fingers. I takes practice to keep everything quiet, just take it slow.

Sounds good 2 me
First my Ibanez SR 700 (from my punk band times)
1/2

See Shouldn't need more than that. If your B string is ringing when you're slapping the A, your right hand is the problem.

>me
And my other one from my current band an ESP LTD F-5E NS
2/2

If the preamp is dud, then replace it for sure. Aguilar and Bartolini are sweet as mang

That's a really beautiful bass user, I'm jealous

lol bassplayers are just failed musicians who can't handle any other instruments

I have a BC Rich flying V that I've had since the mid-90s and an Ibanez Acoustic. The acoustic I got sounds beautiful and is good when I'm feeling laid back, and my BC is my jam instrument.

Here's the Jazz in action
youtu.be/rJhzoM36hjc

Here's the Precision in action
youtu.be/WoshKZ2zZWY

True.

i play ukulele that's another instrument

That's a beauty

Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is. It's not a huge problem because it sounds great with everything flat, but it seems like it's tuned "high" somehow. The treble pot is most noticeable. Seems to only affect the very highest clicks and fret noise rather than giving the high notes themselves more presence - if you get what I mean

Actually you're wrong. Bass is the soul of the music being played. Aside from playing bass, I also play standard quitar (acoustic prefered), banjo,and jazz flute.

well then you're an ukulele player, that automatically means you can play bass

Nice, user.

So you're just a normal musician capable of playin stringed instruments, not a bassplayer