The death of music

>mfw I finally understand tonality
>mfw I can now listen to Classical and Jazz and hear and appreciate the balance of harmony, melody and tone
>mfw a top level performer can bring me to tears through the demonstration of sheer artistry and control
>mfw I realize that my parents were right, Rock n' Roll is shit
>mfw I can't listen to modern music without gritting my teeth
>mfw I realized music died over 50 years ago

How can people stand to keep listening to loud monotonal shit cranked out by idiots? Is it just a lack of education?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qvDjVo2RZSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=TnYCW8eWqQo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Also,
>mfw I now understand why people spend tens of thousands on audio systems and chase perfect recordings of artists

For example, here's a guy who could pack more emotion in a single note than Celine Dion could in her entire career.

youtube.com/watch?v=qvDjVo2RZSQ

le wrong generation XDDD

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be where I'm at, but goddamn, the kind of shit they shovel at us is...shit.

It's just a shame that recording technology wasn't there to capture some of these greats in their prime.

OK, I'm just going to leave this here. Recommended stargazing accompaniment.

youtube.com/watch?v=TnYCW8eWqQo

Anyway, I just wanted to share. Sorry if I think current music is trash.

no you don't you gay fucking faggot
bet you also "understand" cable risers now

>implying all rock is shit

fedora

>>mfw I finally understand tonality
took you long enough

>I finally understand tonality
What the fuck are you even trying to say

I fucc ur mom

Literally all classical and jazz are shit-tier. The exposition is the part that actually takes genius then the rest is filler at best, wankey at worst.

Can't believe it took the creation of popism to put an end to that junk.

In pop the whole song is supposed to be interesting. There's usually at least two great ideas, a verse and chorus. Or on the experimental end you have many interesting sections. In classical and jazz they just wank over the one or two good ideas they had at the start. Jazz is the worst for it since the development isn't even supposed to be good in itself, it's them trying to make up something good on the spot which is incredibly stupid since good stuff takes time and effort and doesn't come spontaneously.

Poptism saved music.

Literally.

I hope I never become you OP

>rock and roll is shit
listen to prog, you fucking pleb

>listen to songs up their own ass about trolls and mountain kings
yeah, nah.

wow ive never read this kind of stupid before, not even op

dumb prog poster

prog is trash

>By conventional standards--that is, by Streisand's own standards--this cannot be the case. Her record has to be superior merely because she possesses the better instrument. Mary's soprano is lissome enough but almost devoid of color or dramatic range, and for Barbra that is what vocal music is all about. Even more than her predecessors, she is not so much a singer as an actress, turning each song into a little playlet--or rather, since hitting the notes is important to her, a little operetta. Every song is a new role, and her natural mode is the tour de force.

>It is this very conceit that rock has striven to destroy from its inception. The rock singer may play-act, but never so frankly or variously: His concern is image rather than role. Like the blues and country artists who were his forebears, his aim is always to appear that he is singing his own life--not just recalling his own experience in order to enrich a song, in the matter of Frank Sinatra, but singing his own life and preferably his own composition. To a sensibility accustomed to this conceit, the histrionics of Broadway nightclub pop seem absurdly corny, no matter how "sophisticated" the approach, and the audience for such transparent dramatics seems positively innocent in its eager suspension of disbelief.

This x100

>almost always 4/4 time
>practically only like 8 chords ever
>everything at the same volume, usually increasing as the song goes on
>verse chorus verse bridge chorus verse
>accompanied by a singer who at best can barely sing, usually double sampled or more because they're just that bad even in the studio

Yeah, super awesome stuff, bro.

>technical ability is the only thing that can make good music

How can you be so fucking dumb as to actually believe this

Not dumb, autistic. Probably actually very intelligent, that's part of it.

Ironically you're just showcasing your own artistic limitations and ignorance.

If they're unable to understand the simplest of emotions and how that resonates through art of all things than the intelligence is superficial and worthless.

That's what I was getting at. That's what I mean when I call someone autistic.

IDK, I've been listening to it for 20+ years, maybe I finally got bored.

kek

That's not the same thing as it being shit music. You can run anything into the ground. When I started seriously listening to music I started on the deep end, then appreciated pop later.

I don't know - one style requires decades of practice to get right and the other is full of college age dropouts fresh out of their room with a guitar.

>mfw I finally understand atonality
>mfw fuck compose
>mfw fuck melody
>mfw dedicated to no one
>mfw thanks to no one
>mfw art is over

nice

>mfw I finally understand tonality
what did you mean by this

Yep.

you know people still make 'classical' (or 'western art music' if you're that far up your own ass), right?
and that many contemporary classical composers actually enjoy popular music, and even get popular performers to perform with them, right?
and that he lines between the genres are increasingly blurred by ambitious jazzmen, and modernists writing music specifically for jazzbands, right?

I'll never understand the idea in music that you have to have dedicated years to a craft learning the in and outs of music history and theory and have to be so well acquainted with an instrument to build it blind to make.good music. It's an ideal that was thrown out almost 200 years ago and it baffles me how people will say something isn't good because it can't be played backwards and sound good, or more specifically " well geez, it was just some guy with no formal music education" like how do you get that's not the fucking point of singer songwriters or bands in general. For fuck sake not everything is classical and jazz is that hard to comprehend?

I'm not saying that at all. At its extreme, I'm saying that there's a difference between Lindsey Stirling's technique and abilities and Itzhak Perlman's.

Like, a world of difference.

The argument you set up was exactly that treating music as a meticulous craft instead of an art makes it better music.

And if your point is that because a person has put more time into an instruments/craft and has honed a mechanical musical craftwork that makes them more worth listening to then there's no point in listening to any music that isn't made by the "most skilled" crafter. And that is not how music works

>And that is not how music works
It does in actual serous art music (classical).

That's how it worked before music was accepted as an art. And you can jerk your classical dick all you want over Bach or mozart or whoever all you want all day long. But that was not art music. That was standardised music set to show skill. Art music may have skilled creaters but it being reflective of the creater is more important.

Are you not allowed to like classical and rock music at the same time?

No because then you only pretend to like classical.

This. Once you understand classical, rock just leaves you feeling empty.

Holy shit this comes off as being so elitist. Seems like you've attached your ego to this idea of being musically 'woke' and better than everyone and that's pidgeon holed you. I study classical theory and the harmonic and melodic concepts so that I can write better stuff myself. I still listen to essentially the same stuff as before. It's weird to discredit every musician that's currently trying to do something great by saying that everything modern sucks.

As the user above has said, because music is considered an art, most taste is subjective. You can appreciate music in terms of how much work it takes to make a certain kind of music but on the flipside you can also appreciate it for what it is trying to express. Not all music is pop and using grand statements like you have is idiocy. How you appreciate music is no better than someone who enjoys pop music, or any other genre for that matter.

Only if you're a shallow cunt

I know what these words are supposed to mean, BUT I'M PRETTY SURE I'M TONE DEAF OR SOME SHIT BECAUSE I CAN'T DISSECT AND SEPARATE MUSIC TO DO SHIT LIKE THIS AND UNDERSTAND WHAT PEOPLE MEAN WHEN THEY USE THESE WORDS. It's good music, but I can't get into it at all and understand it like most people seem to be able to do.

this
sooner or later this will be accepted as fact

Not that any of these are valid points of criticism, but you'll surprise exactly no one with this. This board is dead and therefore such a reaction is expected. I hope you at least had enough decency to sage.

There's a separation of criticisms that can be had with prog rock as a whole and prog fans. And prog fans are on the same level of jazz fans and metal heads about being annoying cuts about their musical preference

This board isn't really a representation of reality.

But then again, knowing more about music you happen to enjoy and is discouraged to the fullest extent. The music theory people, Jesus Christ... Just scum of the earth.

You're getting shit on for being a cunt not for liking music theory. You cunt

Where exactly did I insult you? Why are you hostile? I've said exactly nothing about genres of music I like.

lmao