Pic related

Pic related

So I just tried getting water to boil in a red solo cup using a microwave so I could make cup ramen noodles (you're no supposed to microwave the styrofoam cups apparently) and after four minutes the cup shrank like you see on the right and got all weird.

On the left is how it used to look. Any sciency people know what exactly happened here, and are the noodles safe to eat?

btw I think the cup looks pretty cool now. Dubs gets to choose his name

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZGgOwkXuSnY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Rolling for Eduardo

solo cups are plastic, not styrofoam.

when you heat the water, it also heats the cups making them more malleable and causing deformation

do not boil water in such plastics, you will literally taste plastic in your noodles. use a ceramig mug

ceramic* or glass
i can't spell for shit

As things heat up, they get smaller. That's part of newton's ideal laws of physics and thermodynamic statistics.

It is perfectly safe. Enjoy your hot noodles in your cool cup.

t. Scientist

Rudolph

I mean the ramen noodle cup it comes in is styrofoam, not the cup I cooked the water in. Also, thanks for the explanation.

I'm not really tasting any plastic in the noodles so they're probably fine

Stumpy

Rolling for Jeremiah

You may have melted it a bit (in which case you shouldn't eat it).
As for a more sciency answer, these cups are thermoformed plastic (kinda a cool process, you can look up videos), which means they have a "memory" of the shape they had before being made into cups. As you heat the plastic back up (if you were below the real melting temp), the plastic tends to return to the initial shape it had before it was made into a cup.

Oh shit, Ive never gotten dubs before, fucking checkum

Channel 4, say hello to Jeremiah

Poison!!!!

>you probably shouldn't it

too late

>you're no supposed to microwave the styrofoam cups
I just boil the water in a separate microwave safe container, like a measuring cup or coffee cup, then pour it in the styrofoam cup, cover, and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. Works every time.

Microwaving the styrofoam cut isn't great, but a solo cup is much much worse

youtube.com/watch?v=ZGgOwkXuSnY

dont microwave plastic you dumbfuck
many contain BPA (the thing that turns the frickin frogs gay)

you are a soyboy now

I don't own any of those kinds of items yet haha.

btw I'm feeling strangely light headed all of a sudden. Oh well probably nothing

BPA didn't have anything to do with the frogs, it was the pesticide atrazine.

BPA is bad too though.

buy a fucking electric kettle, you can probably get one for like 5 bucks from a goodwill.

K, actual science man talking here. Most types of polymers (plastic) have what is known as a 'glass transition temperature' (Tg). Below this temperature the material exhibits hard, sometimes brittle qualities, but above the Tg the material becomes softer, sometimes maleable.

When you heated the water the temperature of the cup exceeded its Tg causing it to become softer and deform. It didn't melt, it just deformed. You're fine eating from it and the light-headedness is most likely a placebo effect caused by a candy ass-type syndrome.

Other question though, why didn't you just use the fucking noodle cup in your picture, it's what they're for.

I guarantee those solo cups aren’t BPA free, which is tasteless. You really should be using microwave safe containers in the microwave. Why didn’t you just microwave the cup the noodles came in? Why didn’t you boil some water in a pot??

Thanks for naming a cup after me user

lol, enjoy destroying your body with BPA and other carcinogens, as if MSG-laden 50¢ noodles weren't already bad enough

YOU ARE THAT NEW YOU HAVENT EVER GOTTEN DUBS? REEEEE WHAT THE FUCK

Light headedness thing was a joke. Also, thanks for the response. Pic related to answer your question

I don't got no pots son. Trying to save money. Also the noodles cup said not to microwave it.

>Handle with care
>Especially when serving children
Where do I get these? I only know chicken, shrimp and vegetable flavored ramen.

It fucking melted you dingus! probably released some of it's composition into your food too. Which I highly doubt is enough to do anything to you, but do try avoid doing this in the future. Use a ceramic mug if you can, or just boil some water over the stove with a pot or pan.