/noisetips/

Hello Sup Forums, let's try something different today.

Let's discuss our noise setups, amp settings, pedals to get, synths to get to add more to your noise.

Pic related is basically my setup. But recently I added a WMD Geiger Counter

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OOCqDJY1Ylg
soundcloud.com/myneighborsatan1/randy-quaid
youtube.com/watch?v=w6ELiyu3xk4
youtube.com/watch?v=t-emAR8vN2Y)
youtube.com/watch?v=y3YHAmWCubc
etsy.com/shop/CrankSturgeon
youtube.com/watch?v=pXFi5lLU8cQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why not admit to yourself that you only make noise because you're too lazy to put in the effort to make substantial work of art? All the great in the world isn't going to improve your artistic vision

Great, more aimless synth wanking through pedals that's never been done before....

All the gear in the world*

Who cares, he's not hurting anybody and he enjoys it.

Hey, recently I also made a handmade instrument, I rarely use the synth in my noise.

If you actually think noise music isn't substantial you are an absolute moron.

Wish there was more people like you on Sup Forums..........

I've heard that a DOD meat box is good for this kinda stuff, are any anons here familiar with it?

Wow I bet it's super innovative, let me guess some contact mic hooked up to some junk pieces of metal that look edgy, playing the same bullshit timbral improvisation that's conceptually half a century old?

What's the point of attempting to make "experimental" music if you're only rehashing old ideas. Noise is for total plebs. Stop being lazy, I'm only saying this to help you.

Bump

What's the main difference between Noise and Power Electronics ?

I actually don't rehash old ideas, I definetly have inspirations, I actually experiment with it with other musicians, putting it in genres that usually don't have harsh noise in them.

Power electronics is industrial inspired, always uses synths to make noise, and usually always has vocals

my setup

Feedback is key. Get or build a matrix mixer if you want crazy signal chains. Nonlinear signal processing like saturators, overdrives, strange delays, ringmods etc add chaos when used with feedback. I use a DIY modular synth, voltage control lets you change your sound slowly over time, or change parameters at audio rates to add insane harmonics. It also lets you program randomness and other generative procedures that give interesting results

Thanks user

>using a DS-1 in noise

Wtf

Cheap and easy as fuck to circuit bend, what's not to love?

genius, right?

also nice digits

Not entirely true, you can make PE without a synth. The main difference would probably be the fact that a lot of PE employs beats while noise usually doesn't.

Good point

But couldn't that be power noise as well?

Any anons know a good but simple granular synthesis software?

organik

May you share some tracks with us please?

But why though? What if he wants to solely makes harsh noise? I can play the guitar, keyboards and drums in traditional ways, but I also love experimenting with sounds and noises. You come as the typical "tfw to intellgeint" douchebag, if you don't like it, everyone should not like it!

OP here

I've been playing drums for 6 years and have been playing guitar for 4.

You are correct. A lot of musicians who are traditional love to make noise shit.

The distinctions are pretty much outdated nowadays. Noise used to just be noise while PE had this whole dark/transgressive/disgusting/offensive thong going on, then as new genres split from both of those and noise adopted the edginess, it pretty much became one and the same. Its like grindcore and goregrind now, the differences are mostly only in individual projects.

I haven't released tracks yet, I will tho when I get some more gear and spice up my sound more.

OP here, this is my current setup.

I own that Behringer fuzz pedal. Great sound for the price.

Noise has always been a clusterfuck when it comes to movements and movement names and shit.

It's pretty good for noise, the boost is shit tho.

Yeah, event as someone reading a lot of shit about it I still don't know all that much about it. Since it started as an evolution of experimental music, then split into and from industrial, then split from that split and then got popular in black metal culture which caused another split...

Hopeful would-be noise musician here, how do I tell which pedal is good for what I want to do and what to avoid?

+monotron delay, the filter in the delay feedback and that howl it makes is harsh as fuck. I love that little shit

I am looking for some help! I am using a blue yeti (black colored mic), not sure if it's a different type of model since most/all are silver on google images.

Anyway I place this on a desk and sit in front of it with the guitar about level to the mic and my singing above. It produces this quality which isn't very good. What can I be doing better?

youtube.com/watch?v=OOCqDJY1Ylg

Turn speakers to max. Point microphone at speakers. Make sure input monitor is on

Wrong thread, bub.

I have a pretty small setup, but it's a lot of fun to play around with
>tiny Bugera tube amp
>Mackie Mix 12FX board
>MXR Fullbore Metal pedal
>cheap karaoke mic
It's great for some basic droney feedback-style stuff, or I can play straight no input
I've got most of the components together to build some contact mics, need to shell out for a bit of solid mic cable though
Snagged a whale sounds LP the other day, planning to sample that if I can find a cheap turntable around

Blue yeti is a notoriously shit overpriced mic

That will make vocals impossible, no? UNless I record separately.

Oops.

Yea, I got it for free from someone. It's infinitely better than using my computer mic like in the past...but maybe I could find an alternative mic if I can't get this one real good.

Good pedals for noise are usually always loud, staticky, make high pitched feedback sounds that change sound when you tweak it. You always need a ton of distortion pedals when doing noise.

I would reccomend a DOD Death Metal, a Digitech Death Metal, and even a Boss Metal Zone

I would say a Buzzbox but they are so rare and expensive, I really fucking want one tho.

Here's my setup. Also that's a nice synth, what kind is it?

Korg MS-20 mini reissue

I want to listen to your tracks, post em.

pic related it's my noise setup
i upload my stuff to youtube with titles like "change your eye color"
tfw you get $200 a month from "noise music" making you the most commercially successful noise musician of the decade :P

What about the other effects, like delays and stuff? Is there any signs that would help me pick one?

It needs to be a weird fucking delay. Like Red Panda Particle or something.

A DD-3 works well too.

soundcloud.com/myneighborsatan1/randy-quaid

here you go :)

>that fucking sample

My sides

The noise itself is fucking fantastic tho, getting a lot of Masonna vibes from it, what do you use to make it sound like this?

Thanks, and I use amp simulator vsts for the sample. I also record tracks using my contact mic and synth vsts, then mix them together in post production.

Post your tracks here

MAKING FART NOISES ON KIDS TOYS IS NOT A LEEJITIMEHT FORM OF ARTISTIC EXPRESSHUN YOO UTTER FUCKING MAWRON

what software is this ?

you are 12

I'm currently trying to utilize hip-hop instruments in making noise. Over the past 20 years, it's been using rock instruments to make noise, but I'm attempting to use a standard turntable, axis 9 CDJ tables and a numark mixer. I scored everything from a series of pawn shops for not too much. The tables are somewhat limited when you compare it to a making music, or noise in this case, via a laptop, but I'm rather fixated on merging field recordings with the noise of factories. I've started making my own field recordings and have to play with them, but I'm hopeful.
In summary, I just wanna make shit that sounds like Tim Hecker joined The Residents.

I'm trying to make an album and I might be done with it over the next month or two.

good luck m8

thanks, bud. It's nice to know not everyone is a prick on here.

This sounds dope as fuck.

I haven't put anything on youtube, bandcamp or soundcloud (yet), but lookout for Hastings

Does anyone knows what kind of gear Pedestrian Deposit uses in this video? because I love all the effects.
youtube.com/watch?v=w6ELiyu3xk4

My setup is similar to this (youtube.com/watch?v=t-emAR8vN2Y) which is kind of boring, but I can't reach that unretrained sonic "explosion" that PD has. Any advice? Thanks.

He's using tape machines and distortion pedals and such. There isn't really a way to copy someone's noise sound, desu. You just have to make your own. Also, nowadays he has his gf playing violin or rattle a chain against a sheet of metal.

youtube.com/watch?v=y3YHAmWCubc

>boss metal zone

This is noise music production, not metal.

That's probably one of the most /noise/ pedals, aside from the death metal.

don't use a USB mic if you want good quality, get a solid interface and a decent condenser

any suggestions on buying a contact mic?

this
Once you get a good audio interface, you'll be able to do whatever you want basically. It lets you plug 1/4 inch stuff in like a guitar, pedals, contact mic, etc. Some have midi ports you can plug stuff into.

I bought mine on etsy for 30 bucks 2 years ago and haven't looked back. It is kind of expensive, considering you can buy a piezo transducer for like a dollar, and make one yourself. But I've tried this and didn't make something that lasted for very long. Here is a link for someone selling a contact mic who is also a really good noise artist:

etsy.com/shop/CrankSturgeon

youtube.com/watch?v=pXFi5lLU8cQ

>etsy.com/shop/CrankSturgeon
thanks bud!

I know this isn't really the point of the band but here i go:

I just recently got in to noise and more experimental music (I still can't sit through mezbrow though)
I'd like to get myself a cheap set up to just play around at home. I've got plenty of instruments (everything from a guitar to a trombone) but i've got nothing as far as pedals and miss are concern.
Can you just tell me the most basic things i need to get my hands on to get started?
I'm not even sure what a contact-mic is...

the thread, the point of the thread. God i'm retarded.

Contact microphone, cheap mutli-fx and pedals, mixer, microphone, bunch of cables.

Look up "no input mixing"

Either what said or build your own

DOD Death Metal is better

Just go for the cheapest, learn how to use them and then move on to more specific depending on what you want to do.

Borrow gear from friends and see what you like.

Noise is cheap. Buying expensive shit to make noise is stupid, most of the time.

>he's wasting a Korg semimodular on noise
It hurts.

25$ for a contact mic. lmfao. i like crank sturgeon he makes cool shit and i like his music but that is rediculous. you can make your own for less than a dollar in parts if you already have soldering iron.

Not who you're quoting but apparently he makes really really durable contact mic, which is good when you intent to abuse it live or whatever.

yea you can spend a bit more to make sure its shielded and wont get any interference or unintended noise etc. but its really not worth it. he probably just covers them in plastidip or someshit

?

I do both. Is it a crime that I enjoy noise?

bump

does anybody use this pedal on their guitar? i'm interested in using it for black metal/sludge metal projects

i've never used it irl, let alone a guitar. but it's probably really bad. I saw it used at guitar center for 20 bucks.

Don't use it for sludge, it has no bass

read? what are some good resources? I'm familiar with the music but haven't read anything about it.

It's mostly stuff about the culture, not the methods. There's some good stuff out there.

Wreckers of Civilization
Noise//Music
Unofficial Release
Industrial Handbook
Fight Your Own War
Japanoise: At the Edge of Sound (iirc)
Micro Bionic
Then there's a whole book of writings by Alvin Lucier, and of course the huge amount of essays etc. by Cage and others. There's a couple other books I have saved but haven't read yet.

FPBP
harsh but true

Oh yeah there was also a book supposed to come out about African, Chinese and SEA industrial/noise/experimental culture, but I'm not sure how it was called. You should be able to find it on Syrphe somewhere, it was a free eBook.

noise is about what they're good for desu.

Yeah i've been learning bass, guitar, and piano for the past year (basically when I got into music) and half the time I spent learning so far has been me fucking around with my pedals and tunings. Shit's fun

>harsh
I see what you did there

Bump

any suggestions? i don't really want to use any fuzz pedals. was thinking of getting a peavey windsor to get a marshall-type sound on a budget, but i really don't know.

You'll probably have more luck in metal or guitar general dude

It kind of doesnt matter what you get. If you really care about what sound its going to make, watch youtube videos of pedal reviews.

Ive got a Korg MS-20 and want to start doing ambient tracks for some projects, what is the best 'starter kit' for pedals/effects/sequencers to achieve the basic kind of ambient/drone setup. Links to tutorials will also be helpful, thanks.

Poorfag reporting in.

Just order one for under 10$ from amazon

I have that same boss delay, I enjoy it a lot.

those behringer fuzz pedals are hilariously great