I have a PhD in molecular biology with focus on stem cell biology. Ask me anything

I have a PhD in molecular biology with focus on stem cell biology. Ask me anything.

this has potential
but you must prove your worthiness
timestamp with your physical degree or get the fuck out

Showing my degree would reveal my alma mater and topic. Could be used to deduce my identity.

Is it possible to perform crispr/cas on stem cells to heal/genetically modify someone on non somatic level?
I always wondered and I hate the genetics prof at my university

>bioLOGy

What's your opinion on the role of the intestinal microbiome on the mental state of individuals? Given that the enteric nervous system secretes the vast majority of dopamine and serotonin in the body, is it possible that our consciousness is directly influenced by the bacterial populations of that ecosystem? Does it depend on the hormone permeability of the vagus nerve?

>Is it possible to perform crispr/cas on stem cells to heal/genetically modify someone on non somatic level?

Generally yes. There a two ways: ex vivo via SC transplantation and in vivo by delivering the Cas9 mRNA or the Cas9-guideRNA complex.

In the first case, it will be easy to genetically modify stem cells. However, not all stem cell types can be easily isolated and retransplanted. When it comes to hematopoeitic stem cells, this has been clinical practice for a long time. It will also to be quite feasible to do stem cell replacement in skin and intestine (see e.g. the recent Nature paper by Hirsch et al).

In the second case, one general problem is the delivery of the Cas9-mRNA or protein-guideRNA complex vis a vis immunosurveillance. Furthermore, it will be difficult to systematically and exclusive target stem cells.

There are a few good studies which clearly show an association between the gut microbial and mental disorders. However, when it comes to the exact mechanism, there is no clear picture. Of course, dopamine and serotonine are the main candidates for the gut-brain axis given how much of both is produced in the intestine. But we are still not sure how both NTs are related to brain pathology (e.g. depression). Exciting topic, not much really well known.

DO U KNO DE WEY?

Should i play War Thunder or Crusader Kings 2 when i get home from the DMV.

Do u kno da wey?

Thank you for your input, m8. I've been speculating about our ability to change mental health via gut biome engineering for some time. Nice to get a qualified opinion.

CK2 rules.

How long to pay off that student loan?

I have interest in pursuing a career in microbiology, but imagining being it debt makes me apprehensive.

What do you think, Firehouse or Subway?

why didnt you go into gender studies and actually contribute to a better world!?!?

"science"...you fuckin patriarchist,
and mysongynist, stop mansplaining!

Have you studied epigenetics?

You've got it boss.

Do you think we could create organs from nothing and actually transplant them ? I mean with todays technology.

If I tap, will I cum?

IS CRISPR DE WAY?

Can you modify some flower to producing some drug realevant use? I don't mean tetrahydracanabinnol only(like everyone thinks), but for example dmt? Or something?

Why do vegan men become homosexual?

Europe. No students loans. Also no job at the moment.

If I could chose again, it wouldn't do it or at least get out of academia after the Masters.

You can hide all pertinent information via mspaint, smart guy

If you have a PhD why'd you post a pic from an intro book

Would stemcells help my nerve problems which include cubital tunnel and Alzheimer's

Not really. I did quite a bit of transcriptome analysis but never went into Chip-Seq or something.

I'm not well acquainted with plant biology. However, it is of course possible to e.g. genetically modify E. coli for large scale production of molecules. Problem is that you need to express a lot of enzymes to to create a completely new metabolic pathway with your molecule of interest as endpoint. This is fucking difficult and the reason why chemical synthesis is usually much easier and economic.

What, like mimosa?

Then it's just a piece of paper full of black lines.

Because I think brainbow mice look fucking cool.

Is it possible for you to create a polymer that is hard opon a high speed impact (say between sub sonic to around mach 1)soft and flexible when high impact forces aren't affecting the material?

Do you think CRISPR can provide a functional cure for viruses like HIV and herpes? And if so, when?

Microbiologist here- I'm assuming you're an amerifag, talking about the cost/debt; Ukfag here so that doesn't quite apply to me but if you're any good with computers I'd recommend you go into Bio-informatics. It's a massive up-coming field used in pretty much every biomedical field these days, including microbiology. The money in it is insane.

Fucking lier, go get a real degree

Of course made of biological materials thx to protein chains
As well as adoing bio polymers

Damm typos

From what I understand about epigenetics, if every year past puberty somebody waits to reproduce leaves the window open for environmental damage to build up in the histone and methyl groups to eventually get passed onto their grandchildren as cancer?
If cancer is just the price we are paying for morality wouldn't outlawing sex with anybody over like 13 wipe cancer out of existence by closing the window for epigenetic damage to accumulate?

Is there any disasters that have happened in this field, or is there any large form of glaring danger that people overlook besides engineering an army of supersoldiers eternally loyal to you and conquering the world?

And could aging be conquered through this or would it require other fields?

Are you pro or anti abortion?

Theoretically yes. That's what it was originally supposed to do. Again, the problem is delivery and in some case the high rate of mutability and reassortment in viruses.

Nice, im study mastery degree with resurrection plants.

is foregen feasible ? they are a company planning to regrow foreskin in circumcised males using your stem cells on decellurized foreskins obtained from donors. they claim they will be able to restore all of the nerve endings and functions of a natural male penis and predict human trials to start in 2020 with it being available to the public shortly after. do you think it will be available in the next 5 years?

No, the problem is finding more biologists to work on these things.

(1) When it comes to hereditary cancer, the main perpetrators are still genomic mutations.
(2) The germline is pretty well protected against DNA damage.
(3) Epigenetic markers are heavily restructured during embryonic development.

how make benis bigger?

Are traps gay?

Decellularization approaches in regenerative medicine where until now not very successful in clinical trials. Just seeding cells on a scaffold does not a tissue make. In the worst case, you have some scaffold full of dead cells hanging from your dick.

Pro.

Yes.

My wife works in bioinformatics, specifically biostatistics for a major drug company. Making about 130k a year with a masters degree and 15 years experience. Not insane money but nice.

what do you want to do now OP?
Wanna join me and found a quantum computing/AI company? You'd be the guy caring about the biological/medical applications.
Physics PhD student and MBA here

I'd wager that is someone's fetish.

I was thinking more about chromatins, nucleotides, methylations and such.
How many cancers have epigenetic causes anyway? 10%? 25%? More? Less?

so its hopeless for a cut fag like me is what your saying ?
time to off myself

Epigenetic mechanisms play a big role in almost all cancers. Whenever a signaling pathway in a tumor is up or down regulated, this has necessarily a reflection in the epigenome.

The thing is that most tumors are due to de novo mutations. Furthermore, epigenetic markers such as methylation sites are mostly erased during development so they cannot play a large role in hereditary tumors.

bump