Is quarterback the most difficult position in all of sports?

Is quarterback the most difficult position in all of sports?

Other urls found in this thread:

foxnews.com/story/2006/04/20/researcher-top-baseball-hitters-guess-where-ball-is-going.html
blogs.discovermagazine.com/seriouslyscience/2013/06/12/really-good-baseball-players-dont-just-keep-their-eye-on-the-ball/#.WQa_AY61uRs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No. Catcher in baseball is significantly harder and it's not even the hardest.

Lol. Gtfo

QB is more difficult than catcher.

All you do is handoff a ball or throw it. That isn't hard I could fucking do it.

being under 6ft in the nba

>difficult

in what manner? It's mental but it isn't very physically strenuous

Then why dont you

Getting hit by a 300 lb linebacker that can run a 4.6 is pretty strenuous

I do, I play backup qb on the best team in the nfl

So RB is the most difficult position in sports? What is your metric here

Yes, it's a very mentally demanding position that requires you to be pin point accurate throwing the football and be able to anticipate where to put the ball so your receivers can catch it in stride. You get a lot of glory if you win but most losses you get blamed for. I've seen a lot of very talented young Qbs get eaten alive by not being able to handle the mental pressures that come with being a nfl qb.

Other than LeBron/Kobe/Jordan tier superstar in the NBA, it's the most intensive and scrutinized position. QBs are always blamed for the failure of their team, and discredited for the success of their team.

No position has more responsibility.

Jimmy?

my metric is difficulty. Thought that was obvious. Rbs dont have to be near as intelligent

I nominate goaltendie in hockey.

Hey, Gronk

>not physically strenuous

Fucking kek

Of course. There aren't even enough competent ones for every NFL team despite every chad in the country wanting to be one.

Well all of sports is hard to say. I would argue as hard as any position at the least.

Being a hitter in baseball is so hard, if you were successful a third of the time every season you would go down as one of the best hitters in the history of baseball. Being a quarterback, you can't miss two-thirds of your throws. Being a basketball player, you can't miss two thirds of your free throws. Being a hockey goaltender, you can't block only a third of the shots. But if you can only hit a third of the time in baseball, you are amazing, because it is that hard.

That is like saying a defender in basketball is hard because they other team scores half the time.

You're correct that it's harder statistically but I'm assuming OP means that it's harder to be a good QB than a good hitter. Aka it's easier to be a power-hitter than a good QB. You might could argue against that as well though.

hardest by being the most scarcest than yes

starting pitcher is a close second though

If you threw for a first down on one third of your passes youd be the GOAT

I would say yes because there are maybe 10 good professional QBs in the entire world.

I would say hitting a fastball is one of the hardest things to do in sports, but that's not a position, it's a skill. As a QB, running to your weak side and throwing a pass to hit a moving target while being chased by giant black men who can run as fast as any soccer player without any margin for error has got to be up there though...

Throwing for a first down is like hitting a double. Of course you would be GOAT, that's unfathomably amazing.

Three completions without a forst down and you have to sit down and wait for your next opportunity. If were making analogies that sounds a lot like three strikes and youre out. First down is a lot more equivelent to a hit then a completion

No.

T. Former catcher

Do you wan't another reason why? In football, there is a plan that team mates follow. What happens in the offense usually is the result of the play. In baseball, the defense decides what happens with the ball, where it goes, how it moves, etc. The fact that baseball is the only sport where the defense has the ball makes it that much harder for a hitter to hit the baseball.

HUNDGOD
notice me senpai

You dont think offenses make plans in baseball? Have you ever watched babseball in your life?

I think so.

Before the snap, the QB has to read subtle formations in the defense, and adjust/communicate the play call accordingly

Once the ball is snapped, hhas to make difficult, calculated decisions depending on what the defense does, all within roughly 2-3 seconds.

Once he's made decision, he has to throw the ball, which requires pinpoint accuracy 5 - 50 yards.

All of this is happening while 250 - 300 lbs roided up athletes are trying to slam him to the ground. If he gets hit hard, or falls in a weird way, he can end his season, or career. A shit ton of QB's went down last year due to Injuries.

Oh, and you're expected to inspire the players around you, and you take responsibility for all your teams wins/losses in the eyes of the public.

It's so difficult that even most NFL teams struggle to obtain a competent QB.

20 mlb teams arnt struggling to find a competient hitter

I would say so.

1. QB

2. Starting pitcher

3. Closer (i.e. I can't imagine the mental stress of having to come in cold in a deciding World Series game in the 8th inning with two men on in a one run game).

4. Hockey goalie

5. Point Guard

6. (Controversial opinion) NFL place kicker. Same dynamic here as a closer in baseball.

>It's mental but it isn't very physically strenuous

Ask anyone who's played sports.

Mental strain is much more tiring than physical strain.

I agree.

Jesus, when you break it down that much, it makes it sound pretty fucking hard.

>not knowing Edelman is the Patriots player most likely to frequent Sup Forums

pic of your face or fake

Its because it is hard. Its pretty amazing that humans can actually play baseball well at all. When you think about players like Mike Trout or Ichiro in his prime (there are better ones but you can watch these guys on youtube) and how they hit the ball so consistently and the shit they pull off, it gets even more insane. However I would say that being a QB is harder due to the mental aspect, unless you are pitching in the World Series v. A regular season QB game. I'd imagine being a closer in a game 7 of the world series is comparable in mental stress to being a playoff OB or Superb Owl QB

>0 athleticism required
>difficult

nice meme nigger

Ice Hockey goalie is

hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports, but being a hitter is still significantly easier than being a quarterback

QB has to know the playbook in and out and have crazy presence of mind in much more varied situations

Thats not Jay Cutler

The Center also needs to know that+block.

Gronk looks like he can go to /soc/ and maybe Sup Forums

>Patriots player
>Cutler

center doesnt need to read the entire defense, make split second decisions on the best option, and deliver a perfect pass

center is hard though, o-line in general requires a lot more coordination between players than most people think

Throwing a ball 50+ yards accurately reauires tremendous athleticisn

Who do you think makes all the "Rate My Dick" threads?

Rodgers

It's a goddamned miracle people can even play baseball at all.

foxnews.com/story/2006/04/20/researcher-top-baseball-hitters-guess-where-ball-is-going.html

blogs.discovermagazine.com/seriouslyscience/2013/06/12/really-good-baseball-players-dont-just-keep-their-eye-on-the-ball/#.WQa_AY61uRs

hockey goalie for sure

Eh, anything is possible with enough amphetamines

There's like 12 people on the planet who can actually play Quaterback competently.

kek he actually fucking did it

ABSOLUTE MADMAN

lol

sounds like Messi of american football

doesn't a coach tell you exactly what to do before every play?

Yes. Don't listen to people when they say QB is tremendously difficult. It's a highly mythologized position and they are hamstrung by coaches and offensive coordinators.

Cornerback is hard as fuck. they throw guys like Julio Jones out there against you fresh off the bench when you've been playing since the first snap.

All you have to do is be able to throw far and run. Just look at Colon Crapernuts

What if the truth is that many athletes could actually be really good quarterbacks but offensive coordinators actually have the most difficult job? Has anyone done like a big study on quarterback success and mapped it to specific offensive coordinators? Are certain flash in the pan players like Kapernick etc actually highly dependent on the offensive coordinators that coached them?

Did you mean
>t. former basement dweller?

>the form of cricket designed to teach children about ball games
>hard

Only if the coach accurately predicts the exact look from the defense. If they are in something different he has to remember a different receiver who will be open in that situation. They may also pretend to be in one formation and then switch to another one after the spot.

not even close

>best player at the position is 39
>most difficult position

If you can play at an elite level at such an age, then it cannot be the most difficult position.

>thinly veiled attack on Tom "GOAT of all GOATS" Brady
At least you tried.

Manning was also elite at 38, idgaf about Brady. If both of them (and many others like Favre) could be at MVP-level in their late 30s, then the position is not physically difficult enough to be qualified as "the most difficult position in all of sports".

To excel at?
Defensive Back.
- you have no idea what the WR is going to do (no route idea, is he a decoy, is he going to block, rtc)
- oh he's running a route? I can't pot a hand on him past 5yds. Where is he going? Read the QB? Too late, he beat me
- oh he dropped it?!? Great! I just ran my ass off for 40+ yds for no reason, now run back and do it over again
- now it's a run and I gotta tackle this fucker

... fuck all that