Tips on not beoming an alcoholic? Not drinking isn't an option, I'm looking for harm reduction

Tips on not beoming an alcoholic? Not drinking isn't an option, I'm looking for harm reduction.

Things like don't drink in the morning or don't drink the same thing every time or don't do it x often...that sort of thing.

If you're predisposed to being an alcoholic (e.g., addictive personality, relatives with substance abuse issues) it's hard not to snowball from drinking once a week, twice a week, once a day, several times a day, to drinking all day. I've had problems with drinking for 12 years. The longest I've completely abstained is 9 months. I'm 2 months sober right now, and it isn't easy considering I'm going through a divorce.

If you're at all concerned about becoming an alcoholic the best approach is to not drink and/or don't hang out with friends who pressure you into drinking. I've had a lot of friends say to me "c'mon it's just one drink" knowing full well that I'm trying to stop. It's honestly hard to stay sober when you're hanging out with the wrong people.

Thanks for you reply.

>not drink and/or don't hang out with friends who pressure you into drinking.
I drink by myself and play vidyas

How about kicking the shitty substitutes for whisky and going for scotch for starters?

My favorite. Who needs company when you can play and drink at home?

I like wisers and it's cheap. I drink beer, too.

I just wish I could smoke weed.

Not keeping booze around me is always my first step for curtailing my drinking. Having to go out of my way to drink makes me drink less.

I cant stand the taste of alcohol, so I guess associate it with a shitty taste or force yourself to drink a beer you dont like?

My only thoughts, sorry mate. Drinking sucks.

I always get suckered into buying more than I need because it's cheaper to buy more.

I know what you mean tho. If it's there, I'll drink it. Doesn't help that the liquor store is a block from here.

Oh man I was drinking a beer last night I thought it was the most delicious thing I've ever tasted, even though I've drunk hundreds of the same kind prior.

You'll just fall asleep.

I live right above a liquor store. It sucks. Something else that helps me not drink is setting up a workout schedule for the mornings. If I know I've got something rigorous to do the next morning, I won't want to drink the night before.

No I'll think that I'm going to die and beg for sleep.
Yeah I think the biggest factor right now is I'm doing nothing at all. Gotta get busy.

Don't neglect your health. Only drink as a reward for eating healthy and/or exercising. I've used videos as exercise fuel back when I played. K/D ratio as pushups/crunches.
Also, hydrate. This cannot be overstated. And take a multivitamin in the morn.

Like I said man Im not a drinker so I doubt my advice would be effective, just thought Id throw in my two cents.

There's a pill available that will make you vomit uncontrollably if you consume alcohol

That might work. A reward system.

nty. Like I said I don't want to stop drinking all together.

Why are you even afraid of becoming an alcoholic ? If you have these issues with thinking random thoughts of harm you should be probably be checked for anxiety instead of alcoholism

>checked for anxiety instead of alcoholism
I'm way anxious and heavily medicated.

buy 2 bottles of whiskey. that way you won't feel so bad for finishing 1 in a day, 1/2 of 2.

why eat pizza if you've already tasted it before?

If abstinence is not an option, you need to give yourself absolute unbreakable rules about when and where you can drink. for example "Never before 6pm" "never alone" "only on friday and saturday" etc etc. I know some people who only drink during unpleasant chores, like "only while I'm folding laundry"

The problem with nebulous rules like "drink less" or "only a few" is you'll blow right past them. You need to make rules that you treat like commandments.

Do change your social circle to non-drinkers if possible.

That's how it started. "only on thursdays after a bike ride" but then I make excuses, sometimes up to 3 times in a row.

But I guess there's my answer.

one more question: Is a whole 24 beers on that one night a week going to be too much over time?

why do you continue sucking cock when you've already sucked hundred of the same kind prior?

I thought this was rhetorical. The answer is because I love sucking dicks?

24 beers in a sitting is too much, yes. This is coming from a guy who used to drink two gallons of gin a week.

don't drink alone

surround yourself with alcoholics. that will make you control your drinking!

what about a fifth and a couple cans to chase?

beer chasers don't count.

Still a lot dude, especially if you're on antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds.

:(

If that's where you're at though -- you dont have to go cold turkey. That's a challenge. So, reduce it to whatever you think you can handle at first.