So apparently high voltage = efficient power transmission

So apparently high voltage = efficient power transmission.

So why do we even bother stepping down the voltage to 120? Why not just design appliances to run on 500KV?

In Europe all of the same appliances we have in America have been designed to run on 220 so it's obviously possible for identical products to run on higher voltage.

kekkles, not sure if trolling or really this fucking dumb
no, trolling, it's got to be trolling, no-one could possibly be that retarded

this nigga on tu something, we must investigate further, stick a fork on the power lines and see what happens OP, more efficient electrocution?

Power pylons are so sad

Why aren't British people electrocuted when they boil up a cup of tea in their microwave that is double our voltage?

Their teeth work as insulators

Watt are you talking about?

>In Europe all of the same appliances we have in America have been designed to run on 220
this is not how devices work, dipshit.
american plugs have transformators that transform the voltage down from 120V to whatever your device needs.
in europe, plugs do the same, they are just designed to transform down from 220V

this is why american devices will get roasted if put on european PS, and european devices will be underpowered if put on american PS.

funfact: old PSU's for PC's have a hard-switch for 120V and 220V PS, so you can blow up these PSU's if you flip it to 120V while they are connected to the PS.

Fuck you

:(

basically we all people from europe are smarter than the amuricans

Great question OP! I've been wondering why we don't power wrist watches with nuclear power. The world needs more visionaries like you

Ohm my god you really need to conduct yourself better when posting on a public website. Your behavior is shocking

british ppl dont cook tea in the microwave because 240V means electric kettles

Why WOOD you do this?

Your post is too subtle for most Sup Forumstards, but I found it sublime. Here's your You.

It works because I'm currently masturbating to some thread on /d/

>pun threads
fuck off back to plebbit desu

120V is limp and timid electricity that just about manages to dribble softly from the outlet, apologising and stuttering

proper electricity is a rock hard, stiff 220-240V that spurts out of sockets and penetrates appliances easily making them gasp and moan

Gee I dunno.

Will someone please fucking explain electricity to me as if I'm fucking a 5 year old child? Cause I've been researching it online and I don't fucking get it

No manual transmissions or kettles how do you filthy bastards not go insane and shoot each other

the basics arent that complicated but "explaining electricity" would take a while assuming you need to go from first principles
its when it gets to specific applications and understanding circuitry that the complexity rises

>not go insane and shoot each other
>murrika
um

If there is too much voltage current just flows through air (ionizing it).
US plugs are smaller than EUR ones because of the lower voltage. Need less space between the two holes.

So if we had high voltage plugs in our homes they would have to be bigger.

Ot is just a question of compromize between saving power loss during transport with higher voltage and appliance size.

Also with high voltage you would get shocked if you get your finger (or dick) close to the plug. Same reason, the distance between your finger (or dick) and the plug would be too small and the current would make a spark through the air.

Trust this man he’s a scientologist

even to arc between the prongs of a US plug you'd need a couple of kV. safety margins ofc, but the line and neutral prongs of a British plug are only 15mm apart, and thats generally seen as one of the safest designs there is, overengineered even

>safest designs there is

the fuckers so over engineered its become a weapon to surpass metal gear

Ok buddy, put simply high voltage is good for power transmission as it reduces the resistance losses. I can give you the formula that explain this if you can understand basic algebra, but i'll leave that to you. The reason 500KV is dangerous for the house is because those kinds of voltages can ionize the air between the cables if they are too close and essentially create lightning between them. If the electricity can travel through air then it sure as hell can travel a lot easier through your body if you get too close. The difference between 110V and 220V or 240V is pretty small, so when it comes to home safety its not really an issue. Also since the voltage is stepped down close to where the power is used, the transmission losses are still relatively low. So that trade off between safety and efficiency isnt too bad. I can go into more detail to explain it exactly if you want, but thats about as basic as I can get

I hate british plugs so much it makes me dream of nuking the fuck of this degenerated country and its cock sucking faggots with their fucked up teeth.

thats because youre american and you cant get over the fact the Brits invented your country and they have better electricity than you

> I hate this worlds best plug because
ITS SO MUCH BETTER THAN OURS QQ

I am French you faggot

>why do we even bother stepping down

the same reason you use imperialistic units

Zap zap go bang bang

in that case youre jealous that they kept beating you in wars, your empire was crap compared to theirs and then they had to rescue you from the germans twice