What’s up, guys? Need a little help here with people who know about engines and electric stuffs

What’s up, guys? Need a little help here with people who know about engines and electric stuffs.

>Razor EcoSmart metro Scooter
>goes 18 mph, not as fast as I’d like
>want to make it go faster, and have a possible theory

On the back wheel there is a small chain and an electric motor. The largest circle rests on the tire itself, while the smaller end hooks into the motor.

I do believe this creates more torque and less speed.

So, in theory, Can I SWITCH the chain to get more speed than torque?

>pic related, it’s my commute scooter.

Things to know:
>I weigh roughly 180lbs
>I have a 5lb backpack I put in the cart behind

Other urls found in this thread:

bike.shimano.com/content/sac-bike/en/home/news-and-info/news/automatic-gear-shifting-upgrade-for-ebikes-with-shimano-steps-an.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Wow that's kinda sad.

What’s sad?

Just thinking about someone riding that. At least get a Vespa or something along that line at least it goes.

Understandable. Although I do have a vehicle I enjoy riding this for commuting around town to save gas.

Just curious on how to make it faster is all.

That electric motor might have trouble rotating that big gear.

If the motor can handle it, yes you will go a lot faster, but my guess is that the motor will burn out and get damaged.

Is there anyway you can just get a slightly smaller gear for the back wheel?
That probably wouldn't damage the motor

Sorry I insulted your ride user. Your theory about the torque is probably right although I'm not an engineer all I can suggest is trying it.

To add on, you'd have like no acceleration either.

This is why cars have transmissions and gears for different speeds.
Larger gears for acceleration and much smaller ones for speed

That electric pos shit will run out of battery juice fast before it can even reach 20 mph. Should have gotten at least a gas powered one.

I see. Maybe there a specific type of chain I should buy?

Maybe a completely different scooter?

It’s cool user.

Not at all. Had it for about a month, it reaches 18MPH fairly quickly, and holds its speed for about 2 hours.

A different chain isn't going to help.
It's the actual torque ratios of the motor. It's only designed to handle a certain load.
If you overload it, it will damage it.

Chain wouldn’t matter, if you change the sprockets you can manipulate the torque and acceleration but when one goes up the other goes down. Theoretically if the engine doesn’t burn out like these fine faggots have said, you could do this

If you really wanted to do some calculations, you could open up your scooter and look for some identifications and specifications on your electric motor.
It should have a sticker of all the info of the motor actually on the motor casing.

You can look at that and find out the maximum torque it can handle and then calculate your gear ratios. Then use that and calculate your weight and the friction of the road and the radius of the wheel and turn it into a physics problem.

Motors are limited by their windings (size, number of poles, frequency) to a certain horsepower. All other specs are a slave to horsepower. If the motor is running at a full duty cycle, the size of the gears will not matter.

By switching gears, you are removing most of the available torque, if your ride is mostly flat, you might (might!) get away with it.

If you are looking for a specific increase in speed, I agree a small reduction in the back wheel sprocket (number of teeth) is the way to go. A larger diameter tire will also help you cover more distance per RPM on the driven (motor side) sprocket.

Turbo charge that shit guy

>If the motor is running at a full duty cycle, the size of the gears will not matter.
What do you mean full duty cycle?
If he has smaller gears and the motor can run at max rpm, he will go much faster than right now.

If it's like a bike a chain ring with more teeth will give you a bigger gear ratio. But it will put more stress on the motor

If you want to spend some coin and play a bit, why don't you get one of those "in axis" gearbox like the ones shimano makes.. addapt it to the rear wheel and then you will be able to do some interesting things: You will have torque when you need it most and you will have higher final speed when possible. If you do it, post it somewhere (non volatile unlike Sup Forums). It could be an interesting project.

Good luck.

This is what I mean, although I was thinking of a manually operated, this one seems to be automatic... see if it fits your needs.

bike.shimano.com/content/sac-bike/en/home/news-and-info/news/automatic-gear-shifting-upgrade-for-ebikes-with-shimano-steps-an.html

Damn OP you must be drowning in pussy riding this around.

Is that thing belt or chain driven? It looks pretty tame so I'm guessing belt. If you want more speed you'll need to make the sprocket on the back wheel smaller. You'll also need to shorten the belt/chain. Acceleration will be slower and you'll out more load on the motor, but you could probably work it out mathematically like someone said above. It'll be the equivalent of a heavier rider, but once you get going maybe you'll get 22 mph.

But you'll pay for this in battery life and therefore range. It's not designed for speed, but the manufacturers have tried to get the best balance of torque, speed, range and rider safety.

I have one of these but it's got a 50cc petrol engine. The gear ratio is low but it revs high. Its not road-legal in the UK and the penalties for using it on the road are severe. Same goes for electric ones.