Today, my supervisor said he is actively considering eliminating my department/job (one-man band...

Today, my supervisor said he is actively considering eliminating my department/job (one-man band.) I asked if it was because of something I had done (I've had glowing reviews), but he said he philosophically disagreed that my department should even exist. He basically said come next fiscal cycle, my job is being eliminated. He hasn't told his upper-class; he simply wanted to give me a heads up on where his mind was going.

What should I do, Sup Forumsros? Should I go over his head and tell the Big Boss what's up? Or should I plot revenge, and if so, what kind of revenge?

You should be thankful - you're probably going to get some severance and unemployment.

Take this time to save your cash and contemplate some new and fun life changes.

I had that happen to me a couple of years ago and it's been quite an adventure

you are a massive fucking faggot

I wish I were getting severance. I live in a right to work state, and I have no contract associated with my job. Unemployment is about the best I can get, and thanks to old Donny Baby, I'm likely to get fucked over.

explain? I know how you're taking being fired as a general big fuck you, but no fucking employers will give you notice like that.

what is your departmrent OP? Did he have good reasoning? why would you want revenge when you can take your new experience and find a better paying job elsewhere? without a time constraint?

/thread

Get another job?

This

You are a faggot, but you do have a reasonable point as well.

yeah OP, your boss is a cunt, but instead of taking it out on him overtly, milk this opportunity as best you can. Definitely start getting some new job ideas lined up, ask your boss if he is willing to at least give you a glowing recommendation for this next job, and get moving. Once you have a new position, then fuck the old jobs place up. You need to have your shit together before fucking this place up.

My department was “on loan” to custom service until a few weeks later a VP flew in and advised no one would be coming back (to be completely covered by offshore in Manila) with 6 months of employment then whatever severance package you qualify for (depending on time in service) with a lump sum for cobra insurance.
Part of me thinks the 6 months will be used to weed people out (fire then or get them to quit) so they don’t have to pay us shit.

murder him and take his position in the company, only way

I work in marketing. I'm the sole marketing guy on staff, and he fundamentally thinks marketing is a drain on resources with no ROI. I showed metrics and customer interactions/attraction, but he is dead set: marketing is a waste.

I guess the guy thinks he is doing me a solid by giving me a heads up on what he is thinking.

No, he is a new hire himself (only 3 months on the job), and I guess he is showing everyone how big his dick is by rolling some heads.

Ideas on "fucking the place up?"

Started looking today, sent in some applications to firms looking for my skill set. I'm not worried about getting another job; that part is easy.

My beef: this guy is brand new, doesn't understand what I do, has a bias, and won't step outside his head to try and understand.

your lucky you got warning you whiny faggot.
spend all your time at work filling out resumes and doing nothing.

>put clear Jell-o in all the toilets.
>let small animals loose in the ceiling
>loosen the screws on his office chair
>rape and murder his wife

>I guess the guy thinks he is doing me a solid by giving me a heads up on what he is thinking.
Or he is trying to scare you into leaving early, which will solve his problem entirely.

>Release crickets or bedbugs in the office
>Saran wrap wall on the lower part of his doorway
>Poo in top tank of loo
>Wet a Jolly Rancher or 3 and stick to his cars windshield. (If pulled they crack the glass)
>Spray herbicide on their plants
> Hide 1 or 2 of his files in the ceiling every day
>Photograph you fucking his daughter and snail mail it to him in a nice series of photos/ dvd videos.

I had thought of that. If I were just taking care of myself, I'd stick it out to the bitter end; make him actually pull the trigger and be the bad guy.

However, I've got a wife and two kids to think about. I can't afford to wait until the last minute before finding a job.

If you quit early, he doesn't have to give you a severance, which he will love. Also, is it possible that when he discusses his intentions with higher-ups, they will say "no, you can't eliminate that department"? Whereas, if you quit, he can say "this department no longer exists and i'm not hiring anyone to recreate it".

Again, if he gave you a years notice, That doesn't make sense. If you're out a job THIS month, then okay. Other than that, he legit may be wrong, but thinks your department in his head sucks. Some people don't think marketing is valuable. Either show someone higher up in the company your worth, or take all that worth somewhere else.

My step-mother is a marketing director for an assisted living home. she makes 80k in the east bay. She loves where she works. if she didnt, she'd find another job. because her worth is that transferable.

Why do you want to work there so bad? whats the point of this thread? do you love this company to death or is all you can get so you're angry?

That is true, and the reason I'm thinking of going over his head. I want to tell the Big Bosses, "Hey this guy basically said I'm on borrowed time." I'm worried, though, that word will get back and he will fire me for insubordination or some other "trust" reason.

No reason to not wait it out and just look and apply elsewhere in the meantime.
My company is getting bought out right now, and while the current owners say we're all keeping our jobs, the new owners could very likely just scrap us out and sell the equipment while taking the contracts. So I'm just looking just in case

Don't do that. Just continue to do an excellent job. You can mention it if it comes up in casual conversation, but don't go tattle. That's the worst thing you could do.
If you have a full year, stop worrying about this. He could change his mind, be overruled, or be replaced by then. Even if you stay the whole year, you will get a severance and have plenty of time to find a job. Start saving a bit extra if you must.
For him to tell you a year in advance, this doesn't smell right. He's definitely trying to get you to quit.

Mostly, this is catharsis.

I like what I do, I like where I do it, and I like the people I work with. We live in a great town that has a low cost of living, and I make good money, enough so my wife doesn't have to work.

So I guess my frustration is that I'm losing a job because the new guy is randomly swinging an ax, threatening my livelihood at a place I've worked at for many years, all because he has a fundamental mistrust about marketing.

Not a year's notice. We are on a June/July fiscal cycle. 6 months, tops.

But true to your points, he may not get the green light from the upper-ups. He may be trying to scare me out. But like I said, am I willing to gamble my family's financial security to find out?

Take an egg and poke a small hole in the top of it and hide it, it will start smelling sooo bad just hide it where noone will ever look

>Waah I'm losing my job even though I can easily be hired the next day
What's your fucking problem you blubbering little bitch?
You're life is easy. Fuck off when you have real problems.

Why don't you just change departments.....

Can't get hired the next day, dipshit. I live in a small town, working for a small company. Marketing jobs aren't in every firm. I'd have to drive at least an hour to find a comparable job with a comparable salary.

If finding a new job will not be problem, you aren't gambling anything. You will have a severance, and possibly unemployment (if you feel you need it). Or you may still have your job...if he were really able to downsize you, he wouldn't have given you this much notice. Especially with him being new.

Yeah. I asked him about that. I said I'm willing to work in other areas where my skill set would apply. Our company, though, is manufacturing, so it's either an hourly floor job, accounting, or management.

>ext fiscal cycle, my job is being eliminated.
>He hasn't told his upper-class

If he mysteriously dies in a hiking accident then your job is safe. You might even be promoted to supervisor!

>But like I said, am I willing to gamble my family's financial security to find out?
How is quitting now with no severance to find a job now a better financial decision than continuing to work, getting laid off and then find a job then with the added cushion of severance pay to help you while you find a job?

Your thought process doesn't make sense user.

Didn't say I was quitting. I wouldn't quit unless I had another job lined up. My fear is that I do nothing, fiscal cycle ends, and the firing happens... And there I am left holding my dock in my hand.

Mostly, though, I want to see if anyone has advice on how to actively counter this process, hence the request for ideas (ie going to big bosses.)

/thread

You can't counter it. Welcome to capitalism and big business where people who are paid far more than you to do way less work than you can fire you because you're too expensive and we're all too scared to do anything about it because it might mean we all become dirty commies.

The only thing you can do is ride it out or fuck off, so do which one gets you the most money.

My advice to 'counter' would be this:
Do nothing. He's bluffing. If he isn't, you will get a severance and find another job. If you leave before the severance, you will be throwing away money.

Start looking for a job now. Or as you said, take the issue to upper management and see if they can move you to a newer position.

>Start looking for a job now.
Retardedly, looking for another job might also be grounds for firing you, so don't get fucking caught if you go down this route.

fight for your job. Make them know you're useful

carpet his office with his skin

A lot of places in right to work states give severance. Don't let those union fags fool you.

if you cannot convince your internal customers then how are you doing with the external? I am not saying this to be a dick, but just as a matter of reflection.

in any case you should have your shit ready to bounce, even if you get to stay.

And because you don't do shit and are overpaid and you know you'd have to get a real job.

You could spend your time showing how you make money for the company, but here you are on Sup Forums instead.

Starting embezzling and stealing company secrets user

Trust me, I'm going to show that. Like I said, this is catharsis. I have the prerogative to butch and complain into the nothingness that is Sup Forums.