So I'm translating Deathconsciousness(all the songs on it in my mother tongue) to show it to my literature teacher...

So I'm translating Deathconsciousness(all the songs on it in my mother tongue) to show it to my literature teacher given that she really enjoys listening to stuff I give her, but she doesn't know any English. I mostly don't have any issues, but I found myself in the situation of having to translate the title Holy Fucking Shit 40000. I guess 40000 is some sort of English slang? Can anybody help me? Does it really mean forever?

It means fourty thousand

what

also go fugg her

>I guess 40000 is some sort of English slang

40,000 probably is to emphasize the sense of being mentally overwhelmed.

Great reply, absolutely insightful and deeply meaningful. I shall use this as a new aphorism I go by in my daily life and have it inscribed on my tombstone when I'll be no more.

But for real, I know it can as well not mean anything, but I'd like to think there is a narrative reason as to why it is there.

>I guess 40000 is some sort of English slang?
it's a meme you dip

Not my fault there is misleading shit like this just laying around the web for any non-natives to come across...

what language are you translating it to?

Maybe that's some numerology meme? I never heard of this before.

Romanian. It already has a weird translation for the first part...showing shock or awe at something here is saying "oh my cock" so yeah..."oh my cock 40000" kek

>The title is in reference to the annual suicide rate in the United States.
>Dan said it’s a reference to Warhammer 40k
>You are all wrong, it’s a reference to the movie The Terminator. How did you all miss that?

no, 40.000 really is just a reference to warhammer 40k, that's it

after they finished the first part, they tacked on the more metal-ish second part and added 40.000 to the name. thanks dan

I am here to reaffirm that it is in reference to Warhammer 40,000. I have known this for years.

ce pula mea patruzeci de mii

Io am zis ai de pula mea patruzeci de mii. Suna mai poetic.

It was Dan's reaction when he discovered the table top game Warhammer 40,000

I can vouch for that too. I don't remember exactly where but I'm pretty sure Dan himself said so in a Q&A

apropo, nu fi cringy. holy fucking shit poti sa traduci ca "nu imi vine sa cred", "absolut incredibil", etc.

Hasn't "Fuck" gotten around enough that people know it is an English curse? The literal meaning has nothing to do with the song, it's just a word to add to the exclamation. You might just be able to keep the word in there.

The title is in reference to the annual suicide rate in the United States

Even if the meaning is widespread enough, leaving a foreign word when translating something is pretty lazy.

Sincer, incerc sa pastrez grotescul si vulgarul frazei originale. Daca ar fi vrut Dan sa fie mai putin vulgar, ar fi zis "oh my god". Personal cred ca titlul e asa pentru a ilustra degradarea societatii si a normelor dupa colapsul social descris in cvasi-diegeza albumului. TL;DR incerc doar sa fiu true to the source material. Dar mersi mult!

It isn't lazy, it may very well have a good reason and thought behind it. Not touching every single possible thing doesn't mean it's lazy.

Many English translations use non-English words in their translations. This is super common.

Get the fuck outta here you vampire

No it isn't lmao

Of course they do; thing is it sounds incongruous in certain contexts, even more so when it slips into what should be a sign of colloquialism.

True but that usually happens when you're translating idioms, not "fuck".

Your skill as a poet and translator may not be able to compensate for an incongruity brought on by you struggling to find a suitable analogue.

No, English has tons of borrowed words that are common usage. Full on French, German etc.

Then what is it?

As said many times in the thread, a reference to Warhammer 40,000. Confirmed by Dan hisself.

It is of particular interest to me that I construe upon the meaning imbued in the short collocation, identify a suitable analogue both semantically and morphologically, then proceed to utilize it so as to convey the initially desired meaning.

Sounds good! I'm only trying to say that there's a lot of thought that goes into translation, and some people may think it's simple. But you sound like you have a vision.

Oh, I thought you were just having a laugh at my expense. Well then, thanks a lot! I appreciate the compliments! Have a nice life, user...

>44,000 men and women every day