Will carrying a gun make me safer? can it ever be more dangerous than not carrying one?

will carrying a gun make me safer? can it ever be more dangerous than not carrying one?

That all depends on you.

please explain, i understand proper training is important for knowing how to use it and when, but i do worry that about the possibility that i will misjudge a threat.

Having a gun does not make you safe, it makes you able to more easily and effectively defend yourself.
It can be more dangerous if you are unable or unwilling to use it effectively or properly.
If you carry a gun, you absolutely must be willing to use it to kill without hesitation.

100% dependent on the operator. My guess is with the OP would be more dangrous. If you haven't been trained to use a firearm you are likely to freeze up or have it taken from you by a hostile.

if youre going to carry its better to conceal than open carry... thats kinda asking for trouble

>misjudge a threat
as long as you at sane and white there shouldn't be a problem

>will carrying a gun make me safer?

not really. More police kill themselves with their own guns than are shot by bad guys.

>misjudge a threat

Never draw it or let it be known that you even have it until you have fully made the decision to end someone's life.
And then, draw a shoot. No warnings, just shoot, center of mass, 3 times. Then step back, reassess the situation, if the threat is stopped, check for other threats. If not, 3 more shots.

oh i would definitely train before i got one, i mean i've been to the gun range a few times but not nearly enough to feel confident.

this guy knows what he's talking about
/thread

unless you've had training for various attack scenarios, you shouldn't carry a firearm

that's such a stupid way of thinking lmao.

and where would i get this training?

why?

there's this little search engine thingy on the interwebz called 'google'
are you really this dumb?

>are you really this dumb?
yes

>there's this little search engine thingy on the interwebz called 'google'
you could have just told me instead of me going to search it up.

and i was being conversational.

prolly best if you don't carry a firearm

You obviously don't know shit about handling guns, nor do you know what it's like to have to actually shoot someone, so no.

>people get shot by their own firearms in accidental discharge
>people with access to firearms whole integers more likely to commit to and succeed in suicide
>people get shot by other people carrying firearms for improperly or illegally carrying firearms
>people get shot by cops for improperly or illegally carrying firearms
>possession of a firearm by any party in any conflict raises probability of resulting death by whole integers

Please tell me again how firearm possession reduces the total number of lives lost to conflicts, OR EVEN how, other than being able to shoot the boogyman gun-taker-government or boogyman house-intruder-for-the-purpose-of-murdering-strangers (because these are non-threats both from statistical and absolute-numerical perspectives), any individual purpose is made safer.

I carry an expandable baton instead of a firearm and feel way safer than having nothing

well i don't give a shit about your advice since you're just being an asshole and not constructive.

because you never hear about the crimes that were never committed where the mere presence of a firearm prevented and ended a potential crime. a firearm does not need to be discharged to end a crime in progress.

so is it possible i can learn?

i'm sorry for upsetting you

This
By purchasing a gun, you are agreeing to killing a person.

People who intend not to kill others do not buy guns.

apology accepted

I've been carrying for 21 years now. Always feel safe. I never leave the house without it. Also, train often if you choose to carry.

i don't intend to kill people who are not trying to kill me.

Yes but being in a situation where you have to take a life is not something that can be taught easily, if at all. Even if it's a life or death situation.

whatever causal, too soft for hard mode?

That's retarded, you keep shooting until the threat is stopped. For handguns, more than 3 shots is highly likely even with good shot placement...high chest heart/lung hits.

well i wouldn't know but i believe if i can be confident enough to accurately assess if someone is trying to kill me, then i have no rational qualms about acting accordingly.

>People who intend not to kill others do not buy guns
I am pretty damn certain many people buy guns without the intent to kill someone despite the fact that guns are literally people killing machines

DEpends where you live and other factors like, do you have children that will accidentally shoot you or someone else.

How many if you would pull it out, if there was a mall shooter? Would that cause more confusion? Would you be worried the cops might mistake you for the shooter?

It's one thing to know it in your rational brain but trust me, nothing can prepare you for that situation unless you are literally a sociopath.

If cops are already there, hell no. You'd be shot by the cops in a second. If cops aren't there and I can clearly see the shooter and have a good shot and the shooter is actively killing people, yeah I'd try to hit them. But the second I see a cop, I'd drop the gun in a second and hands up. Cops shoot off-duty cops by accident sometimes and you can imagine how trigger-happy they'd be responding to an active shooter incident...

>bad things might happen that means that they definitely would have if not for preventative measures and they're definitely way more frequent and severe than all of the bad things that result from the preventative measures

This is not how evidence-based progress is made. You're speaking in hypotheticals. You're no better than anti-vaxxers and those crystal-hippies, except they hurt fewer people every year,

>implying most people on this site aren't sociopaths

I would first find cover, alert others nearby of what I intend to do and then I would attempt to stop the shooter.
Yes, I can say that I would without hesitation be that hero.

Never aim at something that you do not intend to destroy

no i don't have children but i live in a relatively safe area but when i go into more ghetto areas i want one and if there's ever a mass shooter. i believe the safest way to travel is with 20-50$, a credit card, phone, inexpensive clothes, and uber everywhere that way no one will hassle you if you mind your business, but if for some reason someone does want to hassle me i think it might be safer to have a gun. I don't think im a target in many ways for things like kidnapping, robbery, rape, but i believe it is possible for me to get killed in a mass shooting or by a serial killer or other motives that idk.

confirmed for never seeing real world. hows mommy and daddys liberal table talk? making the world a safer pleace already

I am.
But I'm mostly harmless.

Yes. Being able to shoot other people with guns before they shoot you always makes you safer.

What are you looking at buying OP?

All of those statements and their implications are accurate.

How's being a scared of the world right winger? Why are right wingers so afraid of everything? They're like the biggest group of pussies.

>Update
i am a quiet person who tries not to offend too many people in public, i just don't see too many reasons people would target me.

Depends on where I am in relation to the murderer. If I'm clear on the other side of the mall, I get whoever I'm with and get the hell out of there. I carry to protect me and mine. Putting my life in additional risk to protect others who chose to not be able to protect themselves is not my responsibility. If I can't avoid the murderer and can safely take a shot, I'll take it. If the police are on scene, don't draw.

just make sure that you

FEARED

FOR

YOUR

LIFE

and have a good lawyer handy, cc insurance is nice for this

For how many guns are in America (roughly 300 million guns in private hands), rates of accidental discharge deaths are only like 500 a year...which is actually surprisingly tiny.

do you want to go home and see your family?

but it contributes to the larger issue of public firearm possession and mortality-rates by firearms being very strongly and positively linked.

Exercise your right to remain silent, btw. Its worth a night in jail if you shot someone inn self defense. Speak to cops ONLY through a lawyer even if you believe it likely they are on your side.

The only way that it could be more dangerous than not carrying one would be in the case of lack of training. I carry every day, that being said I have extensive firearms training including retention training during hand to hand combat (I graduated top of my class in police academy, I'm not a cop btw a knee injury ended my police career before it got started). The worst thing that could happen to you is someone attacks you up close and gets your gun from you, kills you or someone else with it...

Um...so what's your solution, you're gonna ban and confiscate 300,000,000 privately-owned firearms and amend the bill of rights? Good luck...

i dont have a family, you can go on with your punch line like i did.

Except when you look at states with very high rates of gun ownership like Vermont (also no concealed carry permit required in Vermont for adults to legally conceal carry), you have very low homicide rates. Vermont has the second lowest homicide rate per capita. I think only New Hampshire is lower.

I'm not too sure yet, but the one in the pic, the glock 19, seems pretty good.

if (The user knows how to properly use the firearm.) {Yes}
else {No}

Ok thanks for that, i think I'm pretty convinced it's better to have it than not, especially if you have training.

Just going to leave this here

>oooh the evil boogyman gun-taker-government rhetoric, that'll get 'em

Well the confiscation of 300,000,000 privately owned firearms would certainly create a lot of jobs that would last for a long time...

but no, I would suggest stricter laws regarding the sale and distribution of firearms (who can buy them/what kind/etc...), and mandate socially-funded safety education for all who have the capacity to own one. There are likely some issues with this plan... I'm not a politician or a social engineer I'm a scientist... but it's a better starting place than where we're at now, and by numbers several countries can attest to that fact.

alright so you have nothing to live for? I guess your life doesn't matter then.

>he carries 9mm

the big boys are talking, why don't you head on back to the cod forums, kiddo

My edc

I view a carrying as similar to a fire extinguisher. You most likely won't ever need it, and don't ever want to use it.
But when you need it, you really fucking NEED it.

I think about this too sometimes. It is surprising there aren't more mass shootings with so many people and so many guns around. There's probably robberies all over every single day, but no one killing masses of random people even though anyone with a gun could do that.

>stricter laws
fucktards like you make my head spin

The big boys (FBI and other police) are all going back to 9mm buddy boo

>who can buy them/what kind/etc

Well...convicted felons, people convicted of misdemeanor domestic abuse/assault, people who have been involuntarily committed to a mental facility, and active drug users are already banned per federal law. Who else would you add to the list of prohibited persons for firearm ownership?

Depends on how trigger happy the cop who pulled you over for having a broken tail light is.

have you ever been to VT? Standardize that comparison to per-conflict...

VT has low absolute numbers because 1) it's a fucking tiny state, and 2) everyone hunts and nobody owns guns for "self-defense" or boonk gang shit

that's just cause it's cheaper and the desk jockeys need something they can handle shooting at their annual examination

REAL operators carry a MANS caliber, .45 Automatic Colt Pistol

sooooo in other words no niggers? hmm...interesting...

If you actively resist during a robbery or assault, you are ten times more likely to be injured than if you don't resist. However, if you decide to resist, the more effective form of resistance is with a firearm. Source: Professor James Wright. You have to decide if it is worth the risk. If you do decide to carry, get training, and practice drawing from your holster and firing. Preferably every month.

yeah, i would not pull a philando castille and im not black, but i do worry it could still put me in a dangerous position with a cop.

Does saying nigger on Sup Forums ever get old? I mean I know it's fun when your mom isn't there to slap you but haven't you gotten it all out of your system yet?

Inb4 nigger

a nice sound, logical argument with plenty of evidence

Like I said, not a social engineer. I would need to see data on who the biggest-risk group are and the circumstances surrounding why they are so big-risk... but really stricter laws regarding procession, acquisition, education, and ownership/maintenance are the strongest drivers of reduced mortality

ah i remember when i was 15 and believed everything my parents said.

hows jr high kiddo?

don't forget those that don't carry a valid form of driver's license in their state OR those that don't carry a valid and up to date FOID card for the states that require one. Also i think you may have forgotten those convicted of a violent crime within so many years as well, but i could be wrong on that one.

I have serious doubts that you carry that.
There is no wear on the gun or holster at all.

you the only pussy whos afraid of a tool that literally has the ability to save lives. pro tip gun control doesn't work.

It's new in the pic, which is a few years old at this point.
Wore it all day today

oh i would never shoot someone for robbing because 1) I wouldn't carry anything that expensive on me 2) I don't value money more than my life, so i'm fine with letting the bank robber take all the money he wants.

Take a new pic.

but is he wrong? 13% of the population committing 52% of the homicides...the less you have in a state the less homicides per capita you'll have

Great!
Post pic with time stamp.

>dogfart.com

fags

that was fun last night lol

ok? whats wrong with girls?

why do they usually suggest stricter gun laws, when the restrictions they suggest are usually already in place, but insist that the problem is the laws, even though the laws already do what they want and the problem has to do with certain cultures and the simple fact that some people just want to hurt others and will find a way to no matter what the laws, that will always be a reality.
the utopian dream is just that
a dream.

Definitely pros and cons to carrying. Doesn't make you safer per say, just able to defend yourself, if properly trained. I carry a small 380 strictly for self defense. Trained and practice with it, civilian and stable minded. Got a deal on a home that was too good to pass up, now in the opiod crisis capital. Have carried for 2 years. I've been in verbal arguments, physical altercations, and sketchy situations, and believe it or not, the only time I drew it, was on a Rottweiler that got off of it's leash. Bottom line, if you carry, don't let it be known and don't be an idiot and wanna flaunt it every time someone gives you a look at the grocery store. For me, it's a last resort, me or them type of thing.

i forgot what movie it was but they concluded canada has way less gun crimes not because it has stricter gun laws but because the people are just more friendly. I believe america has such a individualistic culture, that people can become isolated and act out on their emotions, also the extreme class gap contributes, but that is capitalism, we're the most advanced and creative country for a reason.

It's only more dangerous if you aren't prepared to actually use it in the even you pull it out. If someone calls your bluff (ie sees you shaking nervously), takes the gun and shoots or kills you with it. At the very least, you will no longer have it and some random asshole will be running around doing who knows what with your gun.

It's hard to tell what i would do, but if i think that he is putting my life in danger i will shoot to disarm at the very least.