About to marathon Black Sabbath's catalog. I've never listened to them apart from the big hits everyone knows...

About to marathon Black Sabbath's catalog. I've never listened to them apart from the big hits everyone knows. What should I expect?

Really great albums early on (up through the Dio albums) and then a hard drop off to mediocre and bad albums

R I F F S
Also the Tony Martin albums aren't that bad, better than Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die at least, hell only that album with the Ice-T track is completely terrible

amazing first six albums, my personal favorite is master of reality

What the fuck is this?

white male music, a dirty relic of the past that should stay buried and forgotten for the rest of eternity.
Don't bother with them.

How old was he when he wrote this?

This, except self titled is the best

both wrong, vol 4 is where it's at

This, nothing can top the one-two combo of Supernaut and Snowblind.

Yeah but
>Changes

> snowblind

whooo a song about coke, what a triumph

idk but hopefully you have a lot of weed to spare

Basically all the big hits that everybody knows, unless of course you're listening to post 1984 BS, but then that sucks, so nobody knows that shit.

I don't agree 100%.
While those are weak albums, there are some good songs on both those albums, although Technical Ecstacy has more good songs than Never Say Die, but they're not totally bad, but I understand why a lot of fans don't like them. They ARE rather weak, compared to the first four.

The first albums are amazing especially their self-titled.

>white male music

What does that even mean? And have you ever really listened closely to the early albums, especially the first four, or even just the first two? That shit is heavily steeped in Jazz. You know nothing about music, you fucking pleb!

underage newfag detected

>their self-titled

Duude their cover of Warning on that album is dope

You got dubs, but who are you referring to?

Expect it to be really good for about seven to ten albums and then get ready for it to go down hill.

For a Sabbath noob I wouldn't suggest going straight through all of their discography right away. Obviously listen to all the Ozzy albums and the 2 80s Dio albums are great. After that it's basically a different band. The Ian Gillan album was initially going to be a different project altogether and the record label convinced them to call it Black Sabbath last minute. Same with the album that's basically a Tony Iommi solo album, can't remember the name but the album cover is just Tony and last minute they called it a Sabbath album.

If you're really into the early Dio albums then of course check out his 90s album with them as well as Heaven and Hell. And also some of the Tony Martin albums are actually pretty solid if you're into that style. But really, it's all about the early Ozzy albums.

the one i replied to

>For a Sabbath noob I wouldn't suggest going straight through all of their discography right away.

Wat, their first 6 or so albums are the best way to get into them since they're easy to listen to and their best ones on top of that.

About 28-29.

Your 16th birthday soon?

>Basically all the big hits
So, Paranoid title track? Because that was the only hit single they had and it was purely by accident.

I guess he also includes Iron Man and War Pigs when he said "the hits", though that's less than half an album. Sabbath has a lot of classic tracks, but those three are basically the ones I'd say everyone has heard at some point, regardless of whether they know the band or not.

Yeah man that whole album is fucking amazing.

Fucking asshole.

Can you please elaborate on how you developed that conclusion and why that even matters?

Exactly. My point is that he doesn't need to go through all the non Ozzy or Dio albums right away. Just enjoy the Ozzy albums and perhaps the Dio stuff if he's into that sound as well.

Heaven and Hell was the first Sabbath album I ever heard and I loved it, it sort of eased me into liking heavier stuff though actually being very melodic at the same time (Down to Dio's melodies and Geezer Butler's very melodic bass playing). Mob Rules I don't like as much but I quite like parts of Dehumanizer mainly because there were some good riffs and the production is amazing. The few albums preceding Dehumanizer - Tyr, Headless Cross, Eternal Idol etc - had atrocious production in my opinion (especially Headless Cross which sounds like generic 80s metal) and Dehumanizer returned to a very raw and heavy sound.

I read an interview with Iommi in which he remarked surprise that Mack (The engineer and Producer) had rediscovered Tony's old sound which is essentially what happened and what helps to give the album a more classic sound. Some contemporary reviews disliked the production because it didn't sound the way 80s rock was supposed to sound but I think it sounds fantastic.

If someone forced me to choose between the Ozzy years and Dio, I'd go with Ozzy. Sabbath with Ozzy changed the face of rock and roll forever. They were pioneers, channeling the grim, meathook realities bleeding all around them while most bands were still smoking the granular leftovers of the brief utopia of the 60's.

However, Dio sounds great with Sabbath, and I think he enabled them do things they couldn't do with Ozzy.

And how did you come to the conclusion that the poster was either a "Newfag" or "Underage" or both?

I suspect that's why Christgau et al didn't like them back then. Because those critics were all fucking hippies and they didn't like this reminder that the 60s were over.

You sound like the kind of person who relishes the smell of their own fart. Hmmmmm...
BBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP *SNIFFF* what a delicate aroma

by his posting style and inability to detect irony, you would know if you were't a newfag

Not true.
All of the hits were released on We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll, and that basically takes most of the first six albums, and compresses them into a two record set. And the only reason Paranoid got any radio airplay was because it was their shortest song at the time. Of course that doesn't mean they didn't get any air play on FM, which they did.

>And the only reason Paranoid got any radio airplay was because it was their shortest song at the time
Paranoid (backed w/Iron Man) was the only track from the album released as a single though, the rest of the songs were album-only cuts.

Oh, I get it now.
You're just shit posting.

You've proven my point.
I rest my case.

And no, they didn't play anything of Sabbath's on FM either until Mob Rules. Radio programmers did not want to deal with metal back then. Only some underground/alternative stations played stuff like this.

you're not supposed to come out and say it, you need to start practising proper posting etiquette

I thought you said WP was album-only. This says it was a single release.

Maybe it was. I don't remember.

What a square