Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vCJUDdEirco
youtu.be/ZeU9QVh4MI8
youtube.com/watch?v=eEWIuyeNp2k
youtube.com/watch?v=3O-6QJT-LD8
youtu.be/DoAqlidjF1Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

would be nice if he explained how they DO cast proper swords

they dont, they forge them. heat up a bar of iron, smash it with a hammer into shape, sharpen edges and you're ready to stab. extremely simplified but you get the point

But where do you get iron in bar shape?

I can't watch that vid from where I am but I guess he mentions the metal is the wrong colour.
People did cast swords. That's where stories about pulling the sword fron the stone come from.

You smelt the ingots.

But the ingots are cast in stone?

Cast iron is brittle enough to shatter on impact as a long thin sword, is essentially what he says about that. He says the color is wrong and that casting into an open-topped mold, made out of stone, as slowly as they do, would make shitty swords.

>I can't watch the video but I will just imagine what the video is about and comment on that

lel why even bother posting

>casting steel/iron swords

They are cast in small crucibles made of limestone inside the furnace

Usually in special sand with a wax prototype that is "lost" in production. Not fucking stone. Just google "how is smelting done" instead of asking a single question per post. You obviously have no experience with casting. You can also look for a thread on /diy/. Usually something related to "smelting, "casting", "forge", or "foundry".

He BTFO it better in the Ygritte video.
I think he likes GoT though.

SPANDAU

Then why aren't they smelting the swords?

>I think he likes GoT though.
source?

No source, I just don't think he would've bothered making those videos otherwise and he didn't seem as spiteful as he was with Troy and that other movie.

That's where they're melted, not where they're molded. I can't speak for what hard molds are usually made of, though, so limestone may also be used there. I've only ever used the lost-wax method.

If the very specific set of skills being misinterpreted for dramatic effect actually stopped him from liking a show, he should also be bothered by other wrong things in movies like

>incorrect animal sounds and reused sound bites of animals making uncommonly expressed sounds
Every time you see an eagle, you hear a red tailed hawk. Every pig you see grunts exactly the same. Horses sound like they're running on pavement with shoes, even when they're unshoed and traveling on packed dirt.

>things making sounds they shouldn't, in general.
Explosions in space, satellites beeping (also while in space), computers beeping and booping for no reason, punches and kicks making that thwap sound

>reused sound bites in general
wilhelm scream
Liberty 285 code six, 105 north Avenue 52

Basically anything from the General Series 6000 Sound Effects Library.

Because one does not smelt a sword. One forges it (if made from harder metals) or casts it (if made from something softer, like bronze). If you want to know more about it:
>>>www.google.com

autism manifest

Out of all the things worth critiquing this is not one of them. Who cares if its not accurate, its believable enough that everyone that isn't a weapons autist like this guy won't bat an eye and its 10 times more visually interesting than it would be to do it the accurate way.

W E A K

I genuinely enjoy his historical warfare ramblings.

The swords are magic so wtf does it matter how they were cast?

this. how is lindsey badge going to discuss how to cast VALYRIAN steel? he doesn't know shit about that, only GRRM knows

what's next, he's going to say that the shadow babby that killed renly wasn't historically accurate either?

numale exemplar

tbf he did go on to bitch about LotR and other films like Conan the barbarian. Wasn't to focused on GoT.

Still the worst offender in my mind is the way they show swords cutting into armour like a hot knife through butter not the crappy casting sequences.

Thanks for introducing me to this channel OP. Looks pretty interesting.

>how is lindsey badge going to discuss how to cast VALYRIAN steel?
Well they certainly don't cast two sides and glue them together.

this thread was an autism test.

if you turned the video off in less than 2 minutes or better yet didn't watch it at all then congratulations you don't have autism.

Oh no, not this clown here as well

Here are some of his beliefs:
>no one used swords, axes
>no one used horses
>no one used throwing knives
>no one used double strap arm shields
>no one used scythes
>no one used mail coifs
>no one used torches
>Pikemen didn't fight each other
>no one spoke French during the French revolution
>no one spoke Latin during the Roman Republic
>battle of Zama didn't happen
>Romans carried one pilum
>Vikings weren't real
>berserkers weren't real
>climate change isn't real
>stagnant social mobility isn't real
>castles were defended by three soldiers
>butted mail is better than riveted mail

He criticizes everything you just mentioned as well.

larping faggot

>Here are some of his beliefs:
I'm sure you really believe that.

I was waiting for this.

>no one used swords, axes
He said that most people never used swords and axes but spears/polearms instead and this is absoultely true.
>no one used horses
Never said that
Watch the video again.
>no one used throwing knives
That's true though.
>no one used double strap arm shields
That's mostly true.
>no one used scythes
He just said that they were extremely shitty weapons und most people just used a spear or club instead.
>no one used torches
He said that no one uses torches the way they're portrayed in movies.
>Pikemen didn't fight each other
>Vikings weren't real
He said that Vikings as they're portrayed in fiction and movies weren't real which is true.
>berserkers weren't real
He said that berserks as they're portrayed in fiction and movies weren't real which is true.
>castles were defended by three soldiers
He said that in peace times most castles had very little personal which is true.
It is.

Don't know about the other quotes.

Buttblasted medievalboo detected. Did he say something bad about your german precision overengineered over a thousand times Zweihander?

Bronze swords were cast, but when people started using iron they began hammering soft metal into shape.

>I hate learning new things
>you just gotta turn off your brain bro

>People fought with scythes in the middle ages

I think you've been playing too much Dark Souls m8.

t. idiots
>"Ice," that sword was called. It was as wide across as a man's hand, and taller even than Robb Stark. The blade was Valyrian steel, spell-FORGED and dark as smoke. Nothing held an edge like Valyrian steel

got any proof to back that up?

youtube.com/watch?v=vCJUDdEirco

Episode two never.

It's not like they wanted to use scythes, m8. They were dirt poor farmers and indentured servants and scythes were what they had.

you have no idea how long it took for me to realize that it isn't a 2-parter, he just says he's criticizing episode one of The Last Kingdom

YEAH WELL IT'S VALYRIAN STEEL, NOT IRON

CHECKMATE ATHEISTS

Whoops.

I'm no expert, but I think they would have had the means to reforge their standard scythes into a more fitting shape if they weredrafted/enlisted in a fighting force.

The standard shape of a scythe looks very impractical for battle.
Using a regular scythe in battle seem incredibly unwieldy.

>lindybeige
>a Holocaust denier

Yeah, I'll pass. Dude probably took down the video too.

Is this clueless faggot still making videos?

>a Holocaust denier
When did he do that?

He claims that 6 million people didn't die during the Holocaust.

>a Holocaust denier

Seems interesting ill sub.

>a Holocaust denier

video ? i dont believe you

I thought he made a video saying the holocaust did happen and its stupid to argue otherwise which is what triggered a bunch of stormfags and Sup Forumstards

or am I being memed?

youtu.be/ZeU9QVh4MI8

He feels that 6 million is just too many for 1 group of people.

Why was he not arrested for this crime?

Pulling swords from the stone came from when they pulled the sword out of the stone trough after quenching it you NIGGER

I generally like Lindy but these videos where he bitches about thatching and roads and shit are just boring.

He's right though.

Because it wasn't just one group.

They killed Slavs, gypsies and anyone else Hitler considered undesirable.

He never said that. The point he's making in that video is that plenty of other civilians were killed by the Nazis in WWII, and that it wasn't just the Jews who were targeted. His argument is that popular culture tends to focus on Jewish death in the war so much that the other 5-6 million people who were also killed tend to be ignored; consequently, he argues that the Holocaust as a special category of death should be paid less attention, and the the millions of people who also died should also be remembered.

Which is a perfectly valid point, and has nothing to do with Holocaust denial. Lindy can say some pretty stupid shit sometimes, but, as usual, most of the criticism you see here is people putting words in his mouth.

The holocaust is to Sup Forums what slavery is to blacks.

>Blacks think slavery was the best thing that never happened.

I smelt your mom's ingots last night if you smelt what the Rock is cookin'

Perhaps, but you can't deny that there is an incredibly small group of Jewish people since after world War II while there are still plenty of the other targeted minorities.

>not living in Africa
>infinite reparations
If they don't think that then they're genuinely dumb.

They're historical events that both groups are still whining about it and will probably still be whining about a hundred years from now.

You've seem to have forgotten which group of "people" we are talking about.

what are you talking about, considering the population of Jews around the world before WW1 and the population a few brief years after WW2 the numbers do not make sense.

there should not be so many jews in the world if Hitler killed 6 million of them.

>you can't deny that there is an incredibly small group of Jewish people since after world War II

What the hell are you talking about?

youtube.com/watch?v=eEWIuyeNp2k

Here's a bronze sword, as for modern sword making it's fairly similar except it isn't casted like this. It's a long stick that's heated and beaten to shape.

What does that have to do with what Lindy (or I) said? The only people who brought up holocaust denial were people who lied about what his video was about.

Lindy never said that the Holocaust didn't happen, just that giving it the special treatment it currently gets in discourse leads to an equal amount of targeted deaths being ignored by most people. In other words, he was arguing that everyone who died during the war should be counted and remembered equally.

>it's fairly similar except it's basically a completely different process at a fundamental level

>dumb hipster numake cuck acting like anyone gives a shit about forging and smithing anymore

stick to runescape, kid

>>butted mail is better than riveted mail
he said riveted mail is generally stronger
youtube.com/watch?v=3O-6QJT-LD8

I didn't realise he had a degree in metallurgy.

I didn't realize you had a degree in shitposting either

>Poor man's Red Cynic
no, thanks
youtu.be/DoAqlidjF1Q

>actually stopped him from liking a show
I dont think that thats the case

>Spandau

stay in school and stop strawmanning

which is entirely correct

Why is he so comfy bros?

>Sten

I can deduce a fair amount from my knowledge of lindybeige and my knowledge of swordmaking.

I can tell from the gentle whine to his voice that he is definitely on the autism spectrum

I figured it out when he added that closing bit to his videos. Only a sperg wouldn't immediately understand how obnoxious it is.

Did his LARPing videos not give it away?

Larping is pretty standard perpetual student geek fare

the comfy side of the spectrum

Did you guys already talk about the whole season 7 leak? I haven't been on Sup Forums since s6 ended.

There was a thread about it last night I think.
The OP picture was workout boobs though, so I wouldn't be surprised if some people missed it if browsing by picture.

Oh who am I kidding, probably even more people saw it this way.

Generally, they would not have the means to access a forge or the tools or expertise to reforge a scythe into anything more practical.

On the other hand, they would be more likely to use, say, a club.

It's quite amazing that this guy was teaching at the Newcastle University

Dance Instructor at Newcastle University

>not a poet

Well, yeah, it's more like 23 mil.