/film/ can be achieved. Not as a board, but as an approach

/film/ can be achieved. Not as a board, but as an approach.

There will be shitposters and jaded naysayers.

Ignore them. Utterly. Swallow your clever ripostes.

Also avoid being aggressive without being substantive, Ther are enough threads on this board in which to mindlessly fling shit.

People will paint films in ways that you do not agree with, but if you're not capable of responding reasonably with the aim of showing them the "error of their ways", get over yourself.

Discuss film, only reply to worthwhile comments.

If you can't tell whether a comment is worthwhile or not, err on the side of caution for the sake of the cause. Ignore it. Only reply if you're certain. If you mistakenly reply to shitpost, pick yourself up, take a deep breath, and reply to a real comment. I forgive you.

These threads will be ugly. It doesn't matter.

It will take a while for these threads to get into shape and take off. Be persistent.

It will be important to give the threads some specific points of departure. It won't work to just do a "real patrician kino" thread.

This is not simply a recommendation thread, contribute a discussion point and recommendations will arise organically.

I'll post again when the thread inevitably gets buried.

Pick something specific, and try to allow the thread to develop from there.

If you think you can improve upon this model, do so. Please.

Films that I have watched recently enough, and as such am quite prepared to discuss, are as follows:

Through the Olive Trees - Abbas Kiarostami

Pather Panchali - Satyajit Ray

Picnic on Hanging Rock - Peter Weir

M*A*SH* - Robert Altman

I will respond to any genuine non-shitposts regarding these films, but, I am also happy to follow the thread if it strays from the OP, so long as it stays in non-shitpost territory.

NATURALLY SHITPOSTERS AND NAYSAYERS ARE GOING TO RESPOND WITH THE SPECIFIC INTENTION OF UNDERMINING THE THREAD. AS ALWAYS, IGNORE THEM AND THEY BECOME IRRELEVANT.

Enjoy the thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker–Hulme_murder_case
youtube.com/watch?v=4bIT8_f1ydM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>still trying

>I didn't go to film school. I went to films.

Why does anyone ever go to film school

I just watch it recently and I have to say its pretty good.

I wish this film would get as much attention as Master and Commander or The Truman show on this board.

Also did they die when they went into that tunnel?

but can you ignore these dubs?

nice

How are you doing OP
Checked out El Sur yet?

checked

Ah I see you're using the dubs button

I enjoyed it too. Not that they should be compared, but have you seen Roeg's Walkabout? Another exceptional australian film.

I think they got sunstroke. In those tight corsets (which were very explicitly depicted in an earlier scene) the idea that they passed out and died seems plausible to me. Plus, the dumpy one was complaining about feeling "sick" the whole time. They probably all were, but pretty girls don't complain.

Anyway, great film.

I actually cannot. Well done. Watch any good films lately that you would like to discuss?

ayyyy

tl;dr

A FUCKING BOTTICELLI ANGEL

Now we're getting somewhwere

I can't find it! Neither could I get a good torrent for maborosi. I'm going to buy them.

How have you been? Watch anything good lately?

Have you seen Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice?

Siete cajas was pretty good

So be Tumblr then basically.
Could've saved you a lot of words and a lot of belly aching if you just typed that

Forgive me OP, but I simply can't ignore these.

boy do I have a feeling we're getting close

Elaborate.

I forgive you, friendo. The dubs in this thread only prove its worthiness.

I need to watch more australia films so i'll check that out thanks.

Also I can see that happening but people always say the lack of explanation is because the film is really about sexual repression.

Fucking beaner

I really enjoyed all of the cute feet shots in this movie

Pure footkino

See??? SEE??? The dubs are on the side of the thread.

Wake in Fright is another Aussie one that I mean to check out.

Can you elaborate on the sexual repression explanation? Sounds interesting.

DO YOU SEEEEEE????????

Thread derailed
All because of these dubs

Only good Aussie "film" is Walkabout

upvote

You don't need /film/, you need a capeshit and starshit board or make capeshit/starshit generals

czech em

Not true because the faggots complaining about capeshit are usually Refn and Tarantino fans.

Would you like a side of dubs with your failure

czech these

Contribute.

Certainly is my favourite. Agutter is a dote. And Roeg's competence as a cinematographer-cum-director is perfect for taking in the pulsing vibrancy of the australian outback. What is it that you don't like about other aussie films you have seen?

Fucking 1 post away from trips ;____;

I've been ok, what about you?
I watched Naked Dawn, surprisingly human and very emotional, loved it

AND AGAIN
FUCK

You seem like anons who could participate instead of whining. Do so please. Seen any of the OP films? Or any good films lately at all that you care to discuss?

All you have to do is start discussing and BAM you're in /film/.

I think the sexual repression sorta of comes from Sarah and Miranda relationship.

Its been awhile but I remember in the start of the film Miranda tells Sarah she has to basically let her feelings go away and stop being so attached to her.

Also Sarah in a way can be represent a figure of just repression in general. She treated badly for being poor, deprive from her sweet Miranda, and isolated from the others.

Omg, I just finish watching Picnic on Hanging Rock a couple hours ago for second time (firs one about 10 years).
I love the movie, beautiful and mysterious. The first time let me with a los of theories, and my brain almost burn trying to found an explanation. This time I just go to Wikipedia and found that the author wrote a last chapter explaining what really happen, only published post mortem. Half of the charming disappear with the revelation.

MASH is such an odd movie. Need to watch that again.

Picnic at Hanging Rock is one of my favorites. Movies about the inexpressible are rare, but probably my favorite kind.

Definitely make these threads a thing, OP. Good idea.

>Naked Dawn
Haven't even heard of it. Give us an insight into it if you would. Lets raise the quality of the thread.

I've been alright. been meaning to post this thread again for some time, but I always get caught up with other shit. Finally finished with my first short. Bit late for festival season, but we're looking into it.

I watched Iron Man one and I have to say the film dazzled me with its multi-layered storyline and character development. In fact, I think it is a modern equivalent (if not better than) Citizen Kane.

We see a young playboy who doesn't care about anyone but his profits go through a testing time and comes out a better person, ready to sacrifice himself for others. He knows wearing the suit poisons his blood, but he doesn't care. He believes in his intellect and knows he can make himself better.

The villain he confronts is none other than his trusted friend who stabs him in the back and tries to kill him. He is fighting a metaphor that is his past and his father's legacy that he is tasked with carrying and confronting. He must move away from his father's shadow and walk into he light as his own man.

Brilliant film, 10/10.

OP, your thread has been blessed with a bounty of repeating digits, what you are seeing right now is the most ancient and powerful meme magic at work.

I am!
I called someone a fucking beaner

For those who liked Picnic at Hanging Rock, I'll recommend some other films that you should all see.

These I'm recommending for different reasons. Some have similar or comparable imagery or themes. Some are gauzy and dreamy, or nightmarish, or mysterious.

All worth checking out.

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders, Meshes of the Afternoon, 3 Women, The Wicker Man, Don't Look Now, Lost in New York, Le orme (Footprints on the Moon), Walkabout, Russian Ark, The Virgin Suicides, Oriental Elegy, The Last Wave, The Watcher in the Woods

Really makes you think

the virgin spring (1960) is beautiful too

I never understand when people say they prefer IM2

Russian ark sucks dick and Sokurov has a lot of talent but that films it's just abominable

Iron dubs

I can see the sexual repression element, but how exactly would you say that relates to the disappearance of the girls? I imagine you mean something more symbolic/figurative than literal. I guess it is odd that Miranda seems to presage her own disappearance. And yes, I agree that Sarah is a perfect model of privation.

Ah great! It must have been a nostalgic watch for you then? Shame about the author undoing the mystery. Do tell me though! What was the ending? I suggest using spoiler tags in case other anons would prefer to not to know.

It is bizarre. It almost feels like you haven't watched a film. I'm on the cusp of aggressively going through all of Altman's films. He has impressed me greatly with the couple I have watched.

Nicely put apropos PaHR. Anything more to say on the film? Questions? Interpretations? All welcome and much appreciated.Also, watch any other films lately that you would care to discuss?

I know you're a shitposter, but I actually did enjoy iron man if I remember correctly. Now that you've got that out of your system. Care to contribute seriously?

You think I don't know that? Kek smiles upon my efforts.

Also, Black Moon, The Neon Demon (like it or not there are many reasons to group it here), Un Lac, At Land, Carnival of Souls, and The Hunger

oh come on, comments like that aren't really helpful here are they?

Thanks user. I appreciate this contribution, and have taken note. But you seem like you'd be more than capable of discussing film. Can you give us your take on PaHR? Again, thank you for the list.

Cheers.

I think the sexual repression element is definitely in the mix in that movie shouldn't be overstated as being the whole point of the movie's events, as you're getting at. there are a lot more dimensions to experience in there.

If you two are going to argue, try to do so substantively please. Disagreements should at least be entertaining, and at best be informative. Bear this in mind as you prepare to deploy your reason.

Ana is watching over you. Do not destroy her innocence.

Sorry, can you reword that please? I simply can't understand. I mean that in all sincerity.

I would offer more substantial discussion but have to head out the door in a sec. I'd offer much more otherwise.

But I appreciate this thread and hope you keep it going. At the same time, I don't want to spend too much time online these days because one has to live, so I'll contribute when I drop by, but I need to keep a well-rounded lifestyle.

As far as the list, I'm actually usually not really the list-making type, although recently I did make a subtantial collection of lists of movies by different themes or aesthetic ideas / imagery. I'd be glad to sometimes drop one of those lists into these threads to deepen the knowledge base and maybe shine a light into a certain area of interest.

hadn't heard of the director or the film either, untill someone recommended it

well it's a very charming 50's tale, perhaps what i can praise about it the most is it's feeling towards our main's characters blatant hedonism, mixed with his religious beliefs (and the film's)
apart from this we have themes of liberation of wealth
and scenes where the score makes some sequences just dazzling to experience, it's a great film, obviously not within the arthouse category, but like I said that makes it very human and emotional
Some very reflexive stuff when talking about death, with sort of humor to it, but completely honest and well written and thought in my opinion

severely underrated
I'm ignoring the political stuff within the film just because that wasn't my experience with it, but if you check it out you may notice that stuff
it's an extremely human film, that's just it

wish you luck with your projects user

I get you user. I'm not always around for these threads to make these threads either. It would be nice if these could be made more commonplace by others copying and pasting the OP.

Perhaps do so yourself and post your lists someday when you have the time.

Yea I mean it in a symbolic kind of way.

Miranda disappears after she tell Sarah to keep her feelings in check and there the fact the teacher who vanish was just wearing underwear which could be seen as strange and odd to her vanish.

Honestly the sexual repression theory is a shitty one but is the only thing that makes senses to me for the disappearance of the girls.

Also have you watch Heavenly Creatures?

Yea, I really enjoyed back and now. Glad I enter here and found a thread about this.
Spoiler missing final chapter

Ah, lovely words user. Thanks. This is what the thread is for.

I will do my best to get my hands on a copy, check it out, and then make it one of the OP suggested discussion films next time I make one of these threads.

I meant to do that for another user I was discussing a few films with last time. I've copied your review, and will use it as a discussion point next time.

And thanks, appreciate it.

(nice dubs)

Fair enough, I can see something in what you're saying, no doubt. Cheers for sharing your view.

And no I haven't, tell me more.

There are many things I could say on it but I have to head out soon but I'll offer a few.

I mean that reducing the movie to a Freudian reading on mere sexuality is oversimplifying it.

There is definitely sexual desire in the movie, and a tension between that desire and how such objects and sexuality are withheld, but there's more than this, to do more with Romantic ideas of yearning. Yearning being particularly important in German Romanticism, if you want to read up on that to get more out of a story like this.

There is a lot of yearning in the film. The lower-class girl at the school has a schoolgirl crush on Miranda. Maybe sexual, but it is probably more that general yearning for something she admires and wants to be. The boys yearn for the girls they saw in the woods who ended up disappearing and become obsessed with finding them, which is that male romantic impulse - the inaccessible, ideal blonde, finding and saving the girl, etc. The teachers even seem to admire Miranda, one dreamily class her a Botecelli Angel - not like she's even saying she's like one, but saying it as if it's this wondrous, esoteric truth that she suddenly discovered in an epiphany. Miranda for her part is more than just a sexual or beauty ideal, she seems otherworldly and saintly. She's kind of to everyone, patient, compassionate and understanding with the less popular girls, and seems to have some weird, transcendent understanding of things, almost as if she knows she is going to be going away.

Then there's the rocks, with their aboriginal magic connections, and the uncanny 'life' in them, the tension of nature and culture. There's the way three of the girls, including Miranda, go into a knowing, ecstatic state on the rocks, as if their consciousness has risen to this level. They themselves are drawn in that Romantic way off beyond or deeper or within and they spookily disappear into them.

etc etc

Totally agree with the neon demon , the first time I saw it, picnic at hanging rock came to my mind, because the visually esthetic and mystery.

Saw The Phantom Carriage on Monday and The Housemaid (1960) yesterday.

I'm finally seeing all the influence TPC had on Bergman, specifically The Magician, The Seventh Seal, and Wild Strawberries. Victor Sjöström even starred in Wild Strawberries.

The Housemaid was dark for how old it is but I can't say if it's darker than the new one. One thing for certain is that you don't feel bad for the maid like you do in the new one.

Holy shit, that resolution is hilarious.

Glad you're enjoying the thread. Watch any other good films lately that you would like to discuss? Any film discussion of any kind is welcome here, and I'll do my best to accommodate any specific interests you might have to the best of my ability.

thanks, ive been watching a lot of films lately
plan to watch "From the notebook of..." today or tomorrow probably

what did you think of the kiarostami film? and his work in general

Film Sage user
Just cracked a twelve pack
What should I watch? Any recommendations?

Fav movies: Excalibur, Amadeus, Brazil, Possession... Major League

Please help!

Alien is so good guys
It's such a masterfully created film, and the atmosphere is perfect
Aliens can't compare
And that fucking kid is annoying

It's a film adaption of this case:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker–Hulme_murder_case

Unlike a lot of shitty based on a true story films this one is surprisingly accurate to what leads to the girls murder.

It's a really good intense psychological thriller and the main performances by the to lead girls is great and makes you feel sorry for them despite what they do.

This film made me realize it sad to see how far Jackson has fallen as a director.

Also it always gets bonus points for me for making a romance between the a same sex couple that I actually care about.

Barry Lyndon

Seen it, thanks though

This is true. Cameron turned a wonderful sci-fi horror film into action.

Have you seen any other Zulawski? On Silver Globe is another great one by him.

Wonderful reading user. I think you have me mixed up with another user though. I wasn't pushing the repressed sexuality reading, merely inquiring about another user's interpretation. My posts on PaHR are the one's with the Miranda 1, Miranda 2, etc., etc., images attached.

I ran out so I'm using the last thread's image mascot now.

Elaborate on the German Romanticism angle, please.

>The Phantom Carriage
>The Housemaid

New to me. I will investigate. My friend is having a horror film night pre Halloween in a couple days. Would The Phantom Carriage be a recommendable addition?

Also, please elaborate. Discuss the films you saw. This is a thread for discussion of our opinions/interpretations/theories/emotional reactions to films.

Well, in the line of beauty and mystery: The Neon Demon (actually is for this movie I watched again picnic at hinging rock) , The cook the thief his wife and her lover, ZOO (Greenaway too), The virgin spring, the hunger, don't look now and heavenly creatures.

>On Silver Globe
ill watch it now, thanks

I've come to the realization that a lot of types of genre film can be really brilliant aesthetically and I admire them as art as much as I admire any more serious 'art film' in drama form or whatever.

Not that I am a big 'geek culture' person and think most of it is good. I am not a capeshit apologist, but I think that horror, for instance, when more atmospheric / occult / psychological is probably one of my favorite genres for aesthetics.

Crime Drama/Thriller, too, of all things, can be really expressionistic and atmospheric - speaking in particular about Michael Mann's films, or Hitchcock's, or De Palma.

I like singular auteur works when they're more on the aestheticist side of things, rather than exploring some suppesed 'social realism' and dryly depicting the life of a tranny or somebody going through an abortion or whatever. I could enjoy such topics if they're more aesthetic, but the tradition of a certain type of boring depiction just seems like some stubborn ideological decision that I don't even reflects real life - which imo is wondrous and beautiful and full of irrational emotions and colors and strange places and situations and whatnot.

It's long for a silent film so it's probably not the best idea. It's more intrapersonal, too. What movies are you guys planning?

Oh, I meant to concur with you, I was agreeing that it's not simply about sexuality, but is a more elusive tone-poem on some esoteric yearning, and is structured in a way that works more like occult or Romantic literature (in that what ultimately 'translates across' to you is kind of unutterable, and can only be gestured towards or kind of suggested by tracing along the edges here and there).

Do you guys ever watch these compilations? The music turns some people off but it doesn't bother me. It's such a great series of videos.

youtube.com/watch?v=4bIT8_f1ydM

Sup Forums is worse than Sup Forums they can have 3 boards without fuhanny may mays. No one here just wants to admit it

*not that I'm a big 'geek culture person *or* think that most of it is good.

(I'm writing like shit this afternoon because I'm distracted by other things I'm working on, sorry)

>"From the notebook of..."

Another new one for me. Perhaps when you watch it you can make one of these threads and put it in the OP? Sorry to push that. Just trying to get a feel for whether or not other anons might do this.

I loved it, like all of his films I have seen. Only a few left to watch now. I think he's becoming a solid for favourite my director, although I tend to eschew that sort of talk.

God, I really dunno what to say on it right now to be honest, which feels hypocritical given the nature of the thread. I feel like I'm not only getting a good film when I watch Kiarostami, I feel as though I am being trained as to how to watch the moving image. Filled with quiet gratitude for the sense of abundance he coaxes out of nearly nothing.

Try the films in the OP.

It is a very good film. Care to elaborate so we can discuss it?

Looks fascinating. I will definitely check it out. Cheers.

cunny poster

I'll bite.
So the last worthwhile thing I watched as Whiplash. And that was a while ago. Anyway imo it was pretty good. Not perfect but I enjoyed it because I thought Andrew's determination made him a real character. Not much to him other than that though. Simmons did a better job than Teller though. I'm not big on music but it was interesting to see the story fold out. Was kind of generic but I still like it a lot.

Have you seen it OP?

Not the OP but I thought it was one of the most amazing films I'd seen in a decade.

I don't know, I'm more of a lurker haha
I actually almost only post on 3x3 threads, there's one in the catalog right now if you want to check that out, it's going slow and there haven't been so good in the past few months
But your threads are nice and refreshing.

Yeah Kiarostami is quite unique, perhaps you can find what you like from him in Piavoli

What other films have you seen from Kiarostami?
Still feels weird he died this year
Admittedly, I haven't seen Et la vie continue, though the KG rip looks nice, so I may watch it soon

There are some films of his I didn't really love, but the ones I do like are very close to me, a very personal one is Five dedicated to ozu
And where is friends house is just perfect and beautiful

>LINE SPACES

Jesus christ OP kill yourself. Learn how to coherently form sentences and paragraphs without appearing like a stunted autist.

t. autist who knows at least how to write

>write
I believe you mean type.

t. normal person who knows basic English

Has anybody bother to find any romance films worth watching.

I thought A Little Romance was good.

Fun fact: Teller taught himself drums for the movie. I heard he's a dick irl but that's really impressive.
Won't lie, I tried to get into jazz after that movie. My main gripe is that it could've easily been a sports movie (abusive coach etc) but good other than that. Who knows maybe I'm underselling it since it's been a while. I should rewatch it.

Spent a summer watching and re-watching MASH years ago - like Raising Arizona, it's strange at first, but the more I watched it, the more it grew on me to the point I now think it's one of the funniest ever made.

>when a patient dies, it's either god's will or someone else's fault
>why do they call you spearchucker? I threw javelin in college.

And so forth - one of the most quotable movies ever made.

Don't "get into" jazz by learning about it - I'm aware how ignorant that sounds, yes. Listen to its main players and its lesser-known players and if you enjoy the form, you'll find who you love. When I was young, I loved Monk, now that I'm not young, I love Coltrane and Ahmad Jamal - whatever, just listen to the music and if jazz appeals to you, you'll find the artist that does it for you.

That's all good, but do elaborate. Discuss them in some way.

That's all fair enough user. Not to be snooty, but when you say aestheticist I think you might really mean stylist. Just a possibility. Still though, perhaps become more specific, you obviously have opinions, but what about them would you like discussed?

Ah alright, for another time so. Not 100% sure. I recommended a bunch, so, we'll see what sticks. Jacob's Ladder and the original Deep Water are probable. Perhaps Kwaidan also. I want to watch the Donald Sutherland remake of the invasion of the bodysnatchers. And maybe we'll go for some psych horror like Repulsion also. Any suggestions yourself?

Right right, I can understand that. I'm quite familiar (although still superficially I imagine) with the romantic poets so I can see where you're coming from. I appreciate the thoughts a lot. Thanks. Gives me a new take on the film that I enjoy.

I saw it yeah. And enjoyed it too. Although I'm not sure I have much to say on it. My memory is it's a thriller in form with atypical content. Well rendered. Competent, and then some. Would watch again at some point if someone wanted me to, but probably not of my own volition. Sorry that that's all I have user. Wish I could say more. Cheers for contributing. Maybe you can say a little more on what you liked about it? I might be able to think of a better response then.

Russian ark and Valerie and her week of wonders are gay films for gay people and women