/shugazi/ - Shoegaze, Dream Pop, Noise Pop, Blackgaze, etc

best general

also which albums on this chart aren't good and suggest albums to replace the bad ones

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ILsGM3YRPNU
youtube.com/watch?v=28Iu7HdFg6I
youtube.com/watch?v=0plfG9qit2I
bedroommuzik.bandcamp.com/album/grow
genjingrecords.bandcamp.com/album/7
youtube.com/watch?v=g3aT9OTvpqI
youtube.com/watch?v=Q1QSqvGf17M
youtube.com/watch?v=Rn6aDvTDK1s
youtube.com/watch?v=CFpCSlOPa8s
youtube.com/watch?v=UF18bkfrZUE
youtube.com/watch?v=ShtyCt8yjmU
youtube.com/watch?v=FhNFmHq2L3A
clyp.it/1rzymeb3?token=403c9fc1f4a7c49f92e73277ac9cf071
youtube.com/watch?v=t5Wf1_bNg-s
youtube.com/watch?v=BLpg5ff5QnE
youtube.com/watch?v=pQWEg4nCMS0
youtube.com/watch?v=2nR3iL4kP7c
youtube.com/watch?v=FA56sXaQi28
youtube.com/watch?v=wk5ayNJKKw4
youtube.com/watch?v=xa7JfWsMxgs
youtube.com/watch?v=qGVzyby5kcU
snuffcream.bandcamp.com/track/2
youtube.com/watch?v=rn7p6f-inVo
youtube.com/watch?v=1BvuGaboj3c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What's some great noise pop?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ILsGM3YRPNU

let's start with the stars of the week

black tambourine

I've listened to that album too many times desu.

A.C. Marias
youtube.com/watch?v=28Iu7HdFg6I

youtube.com/watch?v=0plfG9qit2I

bedroommuzik.bandcamp.com/album/grow

genjingrecords.bandcamp.com/album/7

I fucking love how spacious this is
youtube.com/watch?v=g3aT9OTvpqI

youtube.com/watch?v=Q1QSqvGf17M
youtube.com/watch?v=Rn6aDvTDK1s
youtube.com/watch?v=CFpCSlOPa8s
youtube.com/watch?v=UF18bkfrZUE
Someone awhile ago posted a song from some 2010s band that sounded essentially like JAMC but I cannot for the life of me find it again. I remember it had a music video that I think was predominantly white (think Isn't Anything cover) and I'm pretty sure it's not by Ceremony.

the EP version of Sharron Apple is better desu

most will say that and I agree
The EP version sounds cleaner and with the 2nd vocals behind.The album one comes as really dense(compare the 2nd verse,the guitar sounds much louder),raw and almost like a live version of the track.

The key factor here is the production.I don't know how they didn't sound lo-fi back in 2003 and then in 2017,have a lower sound quality compared to their EPs.

Who should I listen to if I like dream pop but I don't really like 90s-style shoegaze? I've kind of maxed out the listens I can give to Candy Claws/Sound of Ceres and would like to find more like that, if it exists.

Is Asobi Seksu pretty good? Last.fm is pushing them on me but hard.

I like em
love their S/t and citrus

YES
One of the best 2000s shoegaze acts.
youtube.com/watch?v=ShtyCt8yjmU
This is one of my favorite songs in the entire genre.
This is also very good youtube.com/watch?v=FhNFmHq2L3A

Why does no shoegaze album come close to the excellence of 'Super Crush' by astrobrite?
Superb songwriting.
No other shoegaze album captures the sound as perfectly.

'Exotic Animal Paradise' is a phenomenal song by them.

Going up next week, but I feel like "leaking" it to you guys
clyp.it/1rzymeb3?token=403c9fc1f4a7c49f92e73277ac9cf071

damn you punch that ho yourself?

Nah, just found it aesthetic as fuck. There's gonna be an alt cover for Spotify, physical release etc

most overrated shoegaze in your opinion?

V:D:C desu

Anything by Ride

THIS

I don't care for anything by Ringo Deathstar

I didn't either until I heard Sparklers. It's probably their best. I'd give it a go

is cocteau twins dream pop or shoegaze

dream pop
as far as im concerned they're the true example of dream pop that is purely dream pop and nothing else

well late-Cocteau Twins anyway. Anything before Blue Bell Knoll has ethereal wave, gothic rock, ambient pop
Beach House also probably falls into "dream pop and nothing else"

*and post-punk

am i alone in finding beach house boring? All their stuff sounds the same to me. Its weird cause theyre so popular with a few of my friends who listen to them religiously

I like Fluorescence by them best. Anyone else?

You're not alone there. They're entry level dream pop that kinda copied Julee Cruise and Mazzy Star. I still really like Depression Cherry though.

Can anyone recommend some underrated blackgaze?

Best shoegaze Album coming thru

nah i don't care for them either, never got the hype they sound like any other dream pop band.

I know you guys like early The Verve, but am I the only that also appreciate stuff like A Northern Soul and Urban Hymns?

I think I'm finally starting to warm up to Starflyer 59. I'm really liking When You Feel The Mess from Gold

It's actually the opposite. They are pretty underrated.

Gold is so fucking good man.
They were pretty much the shugazi band with the *real* melodramatic rock power.

nvm guys it was ceremony lol
youtube.com/watch?v=t5Wf1_bNg-s

shugazi ceremony are way better than the hardcore ceremony

Fazerdaze's debut has some nice dream pop

Lucky Girl has all the characteristics of bland 80s throwback pop with reverb that's a diamond dozen nowadays but I can't stop listening to it

wait secret shine

common pleb opinions:
>ride is overrated
>beach house is entry level and bad

any other?

Anyone know of some shoegaze/dream pop bands with a surf element? I'm looking for a specific band that was posted here quite a bit a few years ago, that had a great lo-fi surfgaze sound. I think their name had something with "boys" in it and they had a blue album cover but that's pretty much all I remember. From ca. 2010

is this what you're talking about?

Are we having fun or what?

i prefer crush desu

japanese breakfast a shit

Guys, is shoegaze dead or dying? Were there any good releases from this year?

Citrus is a fantastic album.

youtube.com/watch?v=BLpg5ff5QnE

it's probably one of the biggest years of the genre

the hype of reviving it is mostly dead because it's constantly appearing or influencing bands out there

the only way to get it on mainstream media again is whenever MBV releases a new EP or album.It's the only from the trio who's joining a bit late to the party.

This one is bretty good.

Surfer Blood?

i try and post this record in this general every time i'm on here, it's a very underrated release this year imo. definitely not a traditional shoegaze sound by any means- the band borrows a lot from doom metal, alt/grunge, and emo. but holy shit is this record ethereal and heavy in so many ways, i love it. incredible songwriting as well. give it a try and lemme know what ya think

sample: youtube.com/watch?v=pQWEg4nCMS0

album: youtube.com/watch?v=2nR3iL4kP7c

Holy shit who are these

Has any good shoegaze ever been made with GarageBand?

are you retarded

that's chillwave combined with ambient though

so wrong

Someone posted this the other day and its pretty great. Nothing new but solid stuff

What does new shoegaze need to develop the genre?

not sure how well it would work but it would be interesting to see a genre focused on timbre like shoegaze incorporate spectral music techniques

microtonal shoegaze

need more pop that has that repeating note thing in the chorus
youtube.com/watch?v=FA56sXaQi28
youtube.com/watch?v=wk5ayNJKKw4

Some power metal fusion to balance the blackgaze

more sampling, ala loveless but also in the way electronic music uses it.

>diamond dozen
it's " a dime a dozen". you know, like they are really cheap and you can get a lot of them...

this, actually

we need more powergaze

Best Coast - Where the Boys Are

>tfw when no qt shoegaze bf

where's the queue to submit an application?

Not a noise fan, but I really enjoy this band/album youtube.com/watch?v=xa7JfWsMxgs

what is pic related from?

Post discord pls

well are you cute?

i only listened to the first track but i think a lot of the guys on this general would be really into it

the harsh clang of modern lofi digital recording does give the song a bit of an uneasy edge. also these asians are going for climactic passionate vocals instead of the depressed aesthetic-motivated deadpan vocals shoegaze usually goes for. also there's no percussion so it's all pure mood

maybe, idk, are you?

Are you a girl(girl) non fat?

stop responding to a fag

I do what I want bitch

What's that band that had a music video from the early 90s where they were in an amusement park? All I remember was a roller coaster or a merry go round

This is a very interesting concept. I would love to see how it could be incorporated

Well it can be used to incorporate beats that can stop/start easily, and something like a dense repeated sample of the wall of noise could work well, there's also room here to create varience in the wall of noise with pitch shifting, add more samples for flavour, or just mess with the rhythm of things.

was it Lush?
youtube.com/watch?v=qGVzyby5kcU

Yeah I think it's it unless there's another band from this era that has a video like and someone from died died.

I've been collecting samples and learning production to do this but then I realized I don't know how to play guitar

Do you think shoegaze using a bass guitar and a capo to sound higher would work well?

as far as im concerned any difference in the traditional approach to shoegaze only makes the concept better all the really matters is that the music and writing ends up tasteful and effective and real

maybe, youd need to work a lot to make it interesting perhaps.
A 5-string bass (with one string higher) could work for blacker gaze subgenres, or alternatively you could use pitch shifting.

yeah lush's drummer killed himself that's why they broke up

this was stupid but once i tried to make a shoegaze vaporwave song but i only spent like 45 minutes on it

snuffcream.bandcamp.com/track/2

So comfy.

youtube.com/watch?v=rn7p6f-inVo

Looking for modern noise pop pleas

youtube.com/watch?v=1BvuGaboj3c