So guys I've been thinking

So guys I've been thinking.
What happens when the outside lava on the sun solidifies like it has on earth?
Isn't it going to be dark all day and we will only have a bit of moonlight at night?

>thinking
>outside lava

Whatever you were doing, it wasn't thinking.

It's not lava stupid.

moon reflects sun, if sun goes dark, no light, we die

this makes me want to kill myself

Nah, moon lava gets brighter as it cools, so the night will become the new day.

Moon lava is really the key here. We should be fine, user. Get some rest.

The sun is an atomic reactor run by helium not lava

kek

i like pokemon sun moon too

It's plasma not lava

u fgt - the sun is a light bulb that hangs just outside the dome of the sky. it has no lava.

>Isn't it going to be dark all day and we will only have a bit of moonlight at night?
Ok...so I have to nerd out alittle here...the 1.Moon does not put out any light at all the light you see from the Moon is from our Sun.
2. if the sun "went out" we would not know about it until the last rays hit Earth its not like a on/off switch but more like water in a hose
3. it would be pretty dark but not totally, the light from stars would give some light to see
4. looking up at the stars would be cold as Earth would lose about 30 degrees within hours and will drop down during a year below -100 I think or even colder.
5. earth would stop spinning and the Moon may even hit us or would fly away
6. just about everyone would be dead with in 2 years unless we went into space or used nuclear power for heat/light to grow plants indoors...ie your most likely worm food for glow in the dark worms

>thinking
>outside lava
One is a fusion reactor fueled by Helium and the second is litterally molten rocks. You are either too young to understand those two things or you really have to save the planet and NOT reproduce.

Even if that were feasibly possible, the sun is simply too hot to let lava/magma cool down. Plus it's just gas and plasma, no where near the amount of compounds needed to make lava anyways.

>the earth would stop spinning
>what is rotational momentum

It's not molten rock. It's hot gas. Won't cool down for billions of years. Now go to back to bed

If it was plasma it would be green

>>the earth would stop spinning
>>what is rotational momentum
Earth rotational spin would be affect greatly with out our moon and with out the sun and the orbit we have..we would most likely lose the moon..its also know that earth is spin rate is slowing down VERY slowly] but losing the moon and earth going in a straight path with a slight pitch to the direction of the spin of earth thus removing energy from the spin causing it to slow even more.

Yeah.. that's right. You tell 'em.

Plasma can put off a wide range of colors based on the freq in short...this...is going to open a can of worms becuz I'm being "basic now" since someone also questioned my views on why Earth would slow/stop spinning

Seen this bait before.
You got me the first time bucko but fool me twice and shame on me.

>One is a fusion reactor fueled by Helium
You are fuelled by shit.

Holy shit like this made my brain so fucking angry that i started breathing really heavy and my heart fluttered and my gf asked me if i was okay

Kinda the same here but the me having a gf part....

This all sounded like bs so i went to backcheck and holy shit man. Thanks. I learned new things..

I thought we could go underground for geothermal energy, ala "A Pailful Of Air".

thanks....I know a good about this subject...

geothermal would work for a 100 years or maybe a few? that is hard to guess but the Earth core would cool off and turn to solid rock. Earth temp would become colder than Pluto's pretty easy as even Pluto gets some warmed from the sun +or- 10 degrees...

Yeah i came across that one. Said we could do it for hundreds of years.

..would be a pretty badass though miserable world to live in.

A hundred years.

OK, I really need to know - are you honestly saying that volcanoes and earthquakes are powered by the sun?

>someone also questioned my views on why Earth would slow/stop spinning

Rats. Missed that thread. The Earth's rotation *is* slowing. The question I currently have is, why do *you* think so (are you retarded, or knowledgeable)?

Nevermind got you.

The earths core would stay plenty warm. And that I knew beforehand. 6000 km of rock is a hell of an insulator..

Its why theres liquid oceans under the moons of Jupiter and all..

Newfag

oh, hi Ken M

I've been here since 2006

1.Moon does not put out any light at all the light you see from the Moon is from our Sun.
Basically true, but... during slim crescent phases, the Earth (lit up by the Sun) casts its light on the Moon, and you can see the whole Moon, though dimly lit. "Earthshine" - it's lovely.

>3. it would be pretty dark but not totally, the light from stars would give some light to see
Actually, a substantial amount. Go camping in a dark-sky area, and refrain from using your flashlight. I've cross-sountry skied in AK on moonless nights - but the snow of course helps reflect the light. Got spooky in the trees though.

>5. earth would stop spinning and the Moon may even hit us or would fly away
Wut? Okay, this is in from left field. Stop.

>volcanoes and earthquakes are powered by the sun
in short, yes. long answer...
What volcanoes and Earthquakes have in common is magma...that has iron and also gives us our n/s poles. The magma is turning with us and has a slight bulge of magma [same as water/waves but not as much] so its a small part. Now with earth cooling down as no more light/heat from the sun the Water would turn to ice and over time the core would cool and turn to rock. We maybe only able to use the core for power/heat for a ehh...500 years? it depends on how much heat you remove to turn to power. As you remove heat you remove the energy and this would increase the rate of cooling and with out the moon and the rate of earth spin..the outside layer of the core would cool much faster than the center..so we would have to go ever deeper to keep getting/hitting enough heat to make power..its a never ending cycle.

>6000 km of rock is a hell of an insulator..
That and.. it is speculated that there is radioactive decay going on as well, because the Earth would be cooler by now than it is, if it were just latent heat from its formation.

Umm. no. It's plate tectonics. The crust of the Earth is made of plates that are basically floating on the magma. Releases of pressure from plates colliding cause the quakes, and volcanoes are spots where magma can break through.

>Rats. Missed that thread. The Earth's rotation *is* slowing. The question I currently have is, why do *you* think so (are you retarded, or knowledgeable)?
From what I know, Earth rate of rotation would slow quicker. When the Sun stops and we go flying out into space we wont "fly" or "fall" in a straight line but due to the mass of the core and our spin rate we would spin in the direction of rotation. This would or could cause the earth to slow down at a much faster rate than what it is now. As a test take a turn table and spin a top on it. You will see the faster the turn table turns WITH the top..the top will fall over quicker than if the table was not spinning...now if you take the turn table and spin it the other way than the top..then the top would spin longer as some energy from the table would be imparted into the top.

You massively, MASSIVELY overestimate the power supplied to this planet by the sun - which is what? A few hundred watts per square metre? Half of which bounces back up into space?

The tidal bulge IS a thing, but again, tiny - much of the energy is actually the planet's rotational momentum (forgotten the proper name).

So... um... no, you're a stupid nigger kike kys? (yeah, I'm a newfag. Did I do it right?)

>theres liquid oceans under the moons of Jupiter
Sorry....but that "water" is most likely super cooled to the point that all it needs is shock for it to turn to ice. With it under X amount of rock and under pressure it can stay liquid. Same thing with super heated water...it can be heated past the point of boiling but once you hit it can flash to steam causing it to explode

You took the bait so hard that I'm having trouble deciding what's more cringe inducing, your post or OP's post if it was real

>Actually, a substantial amount. Go camping in a dark-sky area, and refrain from using your flashlight. I've cross-sountry skied in AK on moonless nights - but the snow of course helps reflect the light. Got spooky in the trees though.
agree but some of that is light from stars, some from light pollution and the eyes being able to adjust to low light.

. earth would stop spinning and the Moon may even hit us or would fly away
>Wut? Okay, this is in from left field. Stop.
ooo snap...I missed this. If the sun went away and the moon was in front of the earth forward movement then earth could collide. If the moon is behind or to the side of us..it would fly away. As it is now the moon is moving away from earth but with the Sun gravitational force with the Earths gravitational force the moon is still with us...but remove the sun and it would be tipped.

>sun lava
OP is magma fagma

stars throw light, but since even the brightest ones pop out trillionths of the light the sun does it wouldn't be much

cities would be dead in weeks removing light pollution

so itd be pretty fucken dark even once adjusted

are you retarded?

>believing that the moon just reflects the Sun's light

Are you retarded? Because everyone knows that the moon glows because it's a giant egg that will eventually hatch and give birth to a new god.

>floating on the magma
you said it. magma gravitational force would be changed with out the moon that has a huge amount of gravitational force on earth..this change would cause the issue. The moon/other gravitational forces that would change with out the sun would greatly change how magma is moved...changing even more of the gravity of earth...[gravity/mass]

You guys are dumber than OP, he's comparing lava hardening, and losing it's energy.

The sun will eventually lose it's energy, but that will cause it's collapse. I'm not a trivia, so I cant say if our sun is big enough to become a black hole, but either way.. all matter will continue to reset for our souls to grow upon.

>You massively, MASSIVELY overestimate the power supplied to this planet by the sun - which is what? A few hundred watts per square metre?
1367 watts per square meter x the side of earth facing the sun but thats only counting the light/heat but not the gravitational forces.

Everyone in this thread is retarded. The moon isn't real you mongaloids, it's a Jewish hologram in the sky that comes from a huge projector in the white house.

I took that bait like a dumb fish in a lake...but I was bored and I like the brain tease...better this than some of the other things I was seeing..=)

>some from light pollution
I said, a dark-sky site. As in, not light polluted. I do it every year. Astronomers freakin *hate* artificial light at night. Not too happy about the Moon, either. Or satellites, bright planets, headlights, ...

Um... I thought the scenario is "sun goes out", not "sun winks out of existance". So there would be no gravitational changes in this solar system.

Not even close.

Which isn't huge either way. The vastest majority of this planet (that is, not the surface and atmosphere) will stay lovely toasty warm.

And see above for gravity.

Where did we introduce the Sun disappearing? OP said go dark.

That said, the Moon's orbit is totally governed by the Earth, with noticeable corrections from other planetary (and the Sun's) influences.

If the Sun *disappeared* (even stranger, but okay...), all the planets would continue on a path pretty close to tangential to their orbits at the moment the Sun disappeared, each carrying with them their Moons.

On Earth, only the Moon would affect our tides, so we would have neap and spring tides governed only by the Moon's perigee and apogee.

>Um... I thought the scenario is "sun goes out", not "sun winks out of existance". So there would be no gravitational changes in this solar system.
depends on how you want to look at it...did the sun just wink out? or did it collapse? if it collapse the change in gravitational would be HUGE...the sun would be much heavier in a smaller amount of space [higher mass] anything with more mass would have MORE in gravity...this would PULL Earth to its doom...ie..a black hole or a neutron star

Oh yeah, of course! Great stuff, user!

lava = hot
sun = hot
so it Must be lava great logic

>if it collapse the change in gravitational would be HUGE
No, it wouldn't. Same mass, same location, same influence.

Trips checked
Thank you user! Finally, someone sees the truth and sees through the wool that the Jews have pulled over our eyes for so long! Thank you so much user

>Where did we introduce the Sun disappearing? OP said go dark.
he did not define the thought experiment so I went with the Sun disappearing...if the sun did anything the end would be short for us as we would quickly burn up.

LOL.

Go read up on how gravity works.

You've obviously watched far too much sci-fi where newly-formed black holes start hoovering up nearby things. It doesn't actually happen - because nowhere in Newtonian gravity (which is very accurate and suitable for use in this discussion) has no term for size of the bodies - only mass.

It doesn't matter if the sun is 1Rsol, 0.1Rsol of 1E-14Rsol, it has the same gravity. Understand this, and don't be so stupid.

>Trips checked
Thanks!

There is no way that liquid oceans on Jupiter are caused by the temperature of the earth's core.

Thanks for the succinct, user.

Reading comprehension error.

That's not even remotely close to what said.

But your not accounting for the fact that the sun during a collapse WOULD bring mass to its center [the planets close to the sun] but how much mass would it lose when it loses its outer layers...that I don't know...so it may not change that much? but black holes do "suck" things in but not over night either...but as I said in another post if the sun did anything but just went poof...we would burn up very quickly in the outburst of energy

I love you so much daddy

It's not just the heat, it's that the sun and lava also both produce light, you retard.

I know you think you're shit-posting and this is super-stale pasta, but what you describe will actually one day happen.

When the Sun consumes all its hydrogen, it will expand into a red giant as it begins fusing helium. When the Sun finally reaches its old age and contains enough iron, it will blow off its outer shell of gases, leaving only a glowing ball of super-hot plasma, no longer fusing and only radiating left-over heat.

As this dwarf cools over a period of thousands of billions of years, it will transform into a relatively cool brown dwarf, cool enough for a solid crust to form which could even be walked on.

Of course, the Earth would have been dust for many times longer than the Universe has existed at this point, but the surface of the Sun really will solidify.

>Its why theres liquid oceans under the moons of Jupiter and all..
Oh - I missed that bit. Aside from latent heat from formation and the possibility of radioactive decay, the activity seen on the those moons of Jupiter and Saturn that have them (except Titan) derive their energy mostly from tidal friction - the flexing of the moons by the tidal forces exerted by Jupiter.

Yes, it would bring mass to its centre - BUT THE MASS DOES NOT CHANGE.

LISTEN RETARD:

THE
MASS
DOES
NOT
CHANGE!

Therefore:

THE
GRAVITY
DOES
NOT
CHANGE!

So orbits remain undisturbed!

How can you be so dense as to not understand this!

Oh okay, he was saying the temperature of the earths core makes liquid oceans on the moons of Jupiter. But it's still incorrect.

So... you're introducing a lot of assumptions that you never stated earlier. Now the Sun is losing outer layers, now the Sun goes "poof" and now it exerts energy in that process. This is all new, and made up by you. OP just said, goes solid, and can be argued from a followup statement, dark.

No, he didn't say that either.

The only proper noun in that paragraph was "Jupiter". Only a four year-old, someone who's first language isn't English, or a hardcore autistic, would not understand that he was referring entirely to the Jovian system

Just before a planet collapse there is a out burst of energy that would lose some outer layers [mass] before it collapses [this is a proven fact] during this out burst Earth would be burned away as we are very close to it. so that would be the end...I from a physics point of view thinking about if the sun just went away and what would happen is far more fun or for me it is...so thats why I have have looked into the "what if" under my "what if" from the start still stand. Anyway I'm also half asleep so I maybe mixing some things up/getting some things out of order..that reminds me its midnight lol

whoops - and Saturn (in the case of Saturnian moons obviously).

The innermost moons anyway. The effect drops off quite a bit with distance. Hence why Io - as the innermost Jovian moon - is so volcanically active.

Heh... go to bed, man.
The whole proposition is silly, but it's kind of a fun though experiment.
But for the record, OP does not mention any collapse. Just a sudden freezing of the 'lava'. This is where we start with silly, and therefore have to be very particular about suppositions. We are now in silly land, and have to use only the info we have for the initial proposition. Think of that as outside any physics we know, and now continue with standard physics for the continuation of the experiment.

Yes.
>the activity seen on the those moons of Jupiter and Saturn that have them

I think you missed my comment here. What OP describes really will happen.

It will be "solid" as a newly-formed white dwarf due to Pauli exclusion principle.

You wouldn't want to go walkies on it at any point though: 0.6Msol in an object 10-13 thousand kilometres across? Hope you brought a REALLY good G-suit.

>The whole proposition is silly, but it's kind of a fun though experiment.
>But for the record, OP does not mention any collapse
I know...to me..that was boring so I went off on own way...I should of made that more clear...but thinking of the sun just being gone and what would/could happen from there is mind blowing..or even the Earth losing temp so quickly to a point that humans/life is cryonically preserved and some how earth misses everything that would break it apart and we find a new orbit/star/sun and earth warms and life resumes...now...that is a really fun thought experiment..maybe I will start that one another day? Mmmm

Maybe you need a diagram. He said "The earths core would stay plenty warm. And that I knew beforehand. 6000 km of rock is a hell of an insulator..

Its why theres liquid oceans under the moons of Jupiter and all.."
So he said the earths core is warm because so much rock is an insulator, and "its why theres liquid oceans under the moons of Jupiter." There is no way the earths rock can insulate all the way to the jovian system.

when the sun expands it would super heat the earth...we would die unless we are deep under ground but..we would get a tan

No, I saw it. Any mistake on my part would be in assuming OP meant, "now," and not your standard stellar evolution time scale. In that case, the planets perhaps out to Jupiter would be 'swallowed' by the Sun's atmosphere during its red giant stage.

Yes. And then notice THE PARAGRAPH. Almost like he's TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING SEPARATE. Ya know?

is this a shitpost

There's an exo-planet which has been discovered orbiting a dwarf which would have been within the star's photosphere when it was a giant -- and survived. That means there's a chance the Earth could also survive. It's even possible extremophile life could survive deep inside the mantle.

Latest theories say Mercury and Venus are guaranteed to go, Earth is almost guaranteed to go, Mars should make it, a few main belt asteroids might get unlucky.

This is what one might call 'pedantic.'

Think i did hear that..remember what star it was off hand? would be a fun read

Interesting.

>lava
>the sun
>pic related
>i just got b8ed

No, it was in a dead tree edition of a science journal.

Okay. I'll tuck that away as info and cross-check if I need it again.

Of course the earth and Jupiter are separate. That's why the earths core can't insulate on Jupiter. Plus he never explains what happens to the lava.