Can anyone on here recommend a DAW?

Can anyone on here recommend a DAW?

Reaper is really great for the price and it has an unlimited free trial. Theres also logic for mac. Cubase for pc

I've heard Reaper is good for beginners, I've never delved into the world DAW

It's a great starting point but it's also a very professional program. It's definetly worth looking into. Don't go expensive at first. You don't need it.

Bitwig Studio
It's everything I wish I'd had all along

I think you got that backwards with logic and cubase

Of course. What kind of music do you make? Mac or PC? Budget?

Some ass at guitar center tried selling me pro tools, little bit out of my budget

Renoise if you're willing to fuck around

Studio One 3

Mainly dreampop with the occasional metal track in there. I use a pc, and cheaper is better.

Don't waste your time on that clunky piece of shit

Nope

Sorry I didn't realize you were on a budget... bitwig is a little up there. But it's not the most expensive and its the best I've seen.

Short of that reaper is pretty good. Also if you're into tinkering you should checkout sunvox

This is what most high end audio production schools use. But everyone forms their own opinions

For what you're up to, Reaper is actually a solid choice. It's a little awkward in certain aspects, but overall, it's great, and a low cost way to explore DAWs.

If you want to shell out more money, I was gonna say Cubase, but reaper is a close second.

Cubase, Sonar, Acid if you're a beginner. Acid let's you work with loops very easily if you get into dance type stuff. Acid Xpress is free, but you can only mix up to 16 tracks. If you need more, just bounce the motherfuckers. It doesn't get cheaper than free. Just download some plugins, though, the native plugins are a bit boring, and aren't that great

I'm aware of that, I was an educator. Pro Tools can suck it. Logic owns it for MIDI, Cubase & Reaper own it on audio editing. ALL of them are better in terms of plugin management

I haven't paid for reaper but I've been using it for personal use for years, their trial is basically unlimited. Op should give the trial a shot at least...now that I think about it next check I'll pay for reaper lol

The 2 main DAWs I've heard work well for beginners are reaper and fl studio. How does cubase compare?

I agree on your choices for midi and audio editing %100. Just stating pro tools doesn't have a terrible rep

FL is good for live preformances

Fucking kek'd

I use Ableton for electronic music and recording guitar Ambient.

True. That's mostly down to marketing and being "industry standard" because it was the first big name in DAWs in the 90s

here you go, dawg.

Cubase is basically a more refined but much more expensive reaper. I've heard good things about FL, never really used it (mac fag here) but AFAIK I don't think it's very well suited to mixing bands, same as Ableton, which is why I didn't recommend it. Sure, it CAN be done, but FL is more a tool for electronic music, as is Abe. In that context to killer.

I'm gonna watch some walkthroughs of Cubase, see if it appeals to me more than Reaper. Does Cubase crash often? I've heard DAWs crash a fair amount.

Absolutely 100% Ableton Live! I've used many DAWs and am convinced Live! is the best thing in the market right now.

Live! Has a steep learning curve, user. I worked in a music store when it came out and the rep gave us all a free copy when they came to brainwash the salesmen. I remember thinking how ass backwards that pos was. Once you get used to it, it's not bad at all, but it definitely took some getting used to.