Spooky Kino

Halloween is days away, what are some essential kinos that one should marathon this holiday weekend?

goat

A few essentials:

Nightmare on Elm St. series
Friday the 13th series
Halloween series
Childs Play 1-3
Exorcist 1 & 3
Texas Chainsaw Massacre series
Psycho
Scream series
Poltergeist
Evil Dead series
Sleepaway Camp
My Bloody Valentine
The Last House on the Left

Also some good docs are:

Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy
Crystal Lake Memories

Diane Cilento was so fucking hot in that

Last house on the left original or remake?

original of course, can't surpass the sex crime of the century

The Halloween Tree

Comfy/11

oh yes senpai, I wish I could live in Haddonfield, even with having to put up with Michael Meyers every now and then

The Exorcist
[Rec]
The Descent
Pontypool
Dawn of the Dead (Romero's)
The Thing

Amen brotha, not to mention the mad pussy game going down!

this with Hellraiser (1-3) and Wishmaster (the first one only)

I really hated Hellraiser tbqh, the effects were great but that whole half american half english thing really put me off and the plot was predictable and boring

Ghostwatch anyone?

Yeah,but still a horror movie to watch.

aye fair play, I never watched past the first but there's like 6 or 7 of them. Some other good ones are Black Christmas and House on Sorority Row

Season of the witch

This is absolute kino

Pic related. Be sure to forget to turn the heater on as well as the lights.

the ending was super intense but the random forced romance between the 2 main characters was painful af

How do you fuck up his mask so much? It looks like a spoof from Scary Movie or something.

is it really good or am I being memed on, I've been seeing people recommend it in a lot of threads this year. only saw the first halloween

assuming they are referencing Halloween 3 and not that fucking Nicholas Cage movie: It's totally different from the rest of the Halloweens, obviously.

I personally wouldn't rate it that highly but its mostly underrated outside Sup Forums. It's got an original plot and not the worst acting of all the Halloween films. Give it a watch and see for yourself but don't expect it to be as good as the first 2

alright thanks user, while I'm at it I'll watch halloween 2 as well

It's got a good score and a unique atmosphere but it's also kind of boring and goofy.
It's better than most of the Halloween sequels but it's not great either.

And Halloween H20, that's the proper ending to the series.

should I skip every sequel between 3 and H20 then?

>Poltergeist

Which one? Original or remake?

Definitely, don't even watch that fucking reality show one with Busta Rhymes, its not worth it desu

>implying the pale-no emotions mask isn't way scarier than the original edgyass mask
back to r.e.d.d.i.t you go

Yes. H20 doesn't count them as canon anyway, it only counts Halloween 1 and 2, then finishes the story.

That one made me physically angry. You ruin a great ending to the series to make THAT?

I like 4,5 and 6 but I'm a sucker for increasingly bad slasher sequels. I would say 1,2 and H20 are a decent timeline but the others are pretty good if you like the franchise in general

0/10

Original, haven't seen the remake desu

4 and 5 are not so great but they do have a good lead and one of the few decent kid characters in horror films
6 is hot garbage

k thanks

Downloading pic related now. I didn't know it was so fucking long, holy shit.

>6 is hot garbage

I always feel like I'm the only one who likes 6.

I'm pretty sure "pale-no emotions mask" is an accurate description of literally all his masks in all the films other than the remake.

But you're just trying to be epik contrarianl so whatever.

I'm watching it right now blud, also didn't realise there was a part 2 but part 1 was pretty good, not really a horror vibe, felt more like stand by me with a clown demon

I didn't like it at all. The plot was a total mess and fucked with the continuity, not to mention trying to "explain" Myers, and it was painfully mid-90s. Not to mention just recasting and this discarding the protagonist of the previous two films.

Still not as bad as Resurrection

wasnt she fucked by michael

top line 3rd from the left Mike's got a fucking afro

The only reason they "explained" Myers was due to what 5 left them with -- which was weird to begin with.

Personally, I don't care about the cult stuff, I just felt like it was a good Halloween movie -- it was definitely the goriest, anyway.

One of the cuts of 6 implies it

>Still not as bad as Resurrection

What is? What the FUCK where they thinking with that flick?

Much worse than the mask is the change they made to his body type, where now he's all bulky and puffed up.

He was a fairly big guy in the original but he still just looked like an ordinary guy in a mask. They went too far trying to make him more like Jason in Halloween 4.

I also think they adhered a little too hard to Halloween 1 with his look. Why does he always wear a jumpsuit for instance? He only wears it in Halloween 1 because he stole it from a mechanic he ambushed after escaping.

It's one thing for Freddy Kruger to always have the same outfit, he's a ghost basically and it's what he died in, but Jason's clothes change from film to film (even if sometimes it's the same clothes degraded), there isn't really a reason Michael needs to always find a jumpsuit to wear in every film.

>I also think they adhered a little too hard to Halloween 1 with his look

Well yea they had a bankable character in a genre that was thriving on sequels to an original first film. People want to see the same identifiable boiler suit and white mask, just like they want to see the same red sweater and fedora. I'd rather that than Rob Zombie making him a fucking viking.

6 has possibly the weirdest moment for Myers in all the film, and it's completely minor but I always remember. When one of the victims goes to the shower and Michael appears in the room to kill him, the guy thinks it's his girlfriend outside the shower, and asks for her to hand him a towel.

Then...Michael actually picks up a towel and hands it to him through the curtain.
After the guy gets out and is at the mirror, then Michael kills him, but it's so bizarre to try and think what was going through Michael's head to give him the towel and wait til he was out to attack him.

Generally I like the moments where Michael acts a little more human for a second like when he fumbles with the keys trying to open the gate in H20 but that one was always odd to me.

That is an odd moment, but the oddest moment I can think of in a Halloween movie is in H20 when he drops down from holding onto a pipe.

It just makes no sense how he could be hanging onto the pipe and NOT be seen.

Should add the first Saw and The Shining.

I know you gotta keep the same general look, but frankly the mask is enough to keep him recognisable. Like all you need is a big guy with the hockey mask and you know it's Jason, even though a lot about his design changes from film to film (especially when he's in ordinary clothes in 2 or 3; it's kinda weird to think of Jason buttoning up his shirt).

I think keeping the mask and dark clothes would have been enough, he didn't have to literally always have a boiler suit on no matter what.

My favourite "human Michael" moment is in 5 when he's trying to use Tina as bait to lure Jamie out, so he can't kill her yet, but all he wants to do is kill people so when he poses as her boyfriend to drive her to where Jamie is it's taking all his willpower to not just rip her head off.

First he doesn't even want to let her into the car, but eventually unlocks the door, then trying to ignore her trying to talk to him, then finally she starts complaining about stopping at the store, he just slams on the brakes and reverses back up to the store entrance in a huff, and waits for her while nearly crushing the steering wheel because he's gripping it so hard. His body language in the scene is hilarious.

Speaking of which how the fuck does he know how to drive?

>Speaking of which how the fuck does he know how to drive?

Loomis speculated in 1 that another inmate somehow taught him, or maybe he watched enough TV while inside to gather how to do it.

I guess because as soon as he escapes in 1 he just drives off and motors around stalking Laurie like he'd been driving for years.

To be fair, you don't exactly need a long time of driving to get the basic hang of it.

>Speaking of which how the fuck does he know how to drive?

Driving program in the psych hospital? He must have had some time to kill between getting big, I wouldn't want to be the driving instructor mind but he's not supposed to be mentally disabled like Jason, just evil. I think he could have learned some basic skills while locked up.

Fair enough but I think it would also be distracting if he kept turning up with different clothes with no explanation, otherwise they would have to shoehorn in a "Mike finds new clothes" scene every film

Michael was pretty much comatose in the hospital, they usually say. He just sat and stared at the wall all day, not responding to anyone.

But apparently the novelisation of the first film said that he figured out how to drive by watching Loomis drive while travelling in some of their many sessions

>he still just looked like an ordinary guy in a mask
Especially given he gets his mask pulled off briefly in Halloween 1 and he just looks like a normal guy.

>Especially given he gets his mask pulled off briefly in Halloween 1

This scene ALWAYS irked me and not for the reason one might think:

When he goes to put the mask back on, his face scrunches up in this really weird way that makes his "face" look like a mask itself.

If you watch it, you'll get what I mean. It's just... weird.

Just watched Halloween for the first time. So good.

Apart from the famous Carpenter films, what else of his is worth watching? I've seen Halloween, The Thing, Prince of Darkness, They Live, The Ward and In the Mouth of Madness. Does The Fog hold up pretty well? How bout Vampires? Is Ghost of Mars worth a watch at all?

And yes, seen Big Trouble and Escape movies.

damn what I wouldn't give to be able to watch the original Halloween again for the first time, especially around this time of year

>tfw the Sci-Fi Channel used to show Halloween and The Thing all the time, along with other Horror classics
>now it's Syfy and has been shit for years

so much this.

While were at, I was watching Syfy recently and they bleeped out some dude saying "Jesus Christ!" on a Star Trek movie, it just went silent and showed him mouth the words as if it was really something worth censoring

Yeah, that type of censorship pisses me off.

I remember Adult Swim, of all things, censoring Prof. Farnsworth on Futurama saying "sweet zombie Jesus."

Well to be fair, I've seen a lot of it in bits and pieces over the years but never in one sitting. It was just shot and scored and paced so perfectly. I loved it.

no more comfy Caprenter films on TV anymore :(

Big Suze?

silly pumpkin-head

Have you watched Slasher yet?
It's bretty good

I know what you did last summer 1 and 2 are pretty good, also behind the mask is really good slasher mockumentary

Part 2 is much spookier I can now confirm

She is in the rob zombie one and is a total babe

oh yeah isn't she the sheriffs daughter?

Yep, she has a sex scene with exposed titties :-)

If you've never seen it: Halloween 3.

The first half of The Strangers is legitimately terrifying if you watch it under proper circumstances.

Best Vampire movies?

Vampyr

Midwesterner here, half the time it's raining or even fucking snowing on Halloween. Would not recommend

aw, I always imagined a slight dusty warm breeze and cloudless nights :c

Doing an all day Hitchcock Presents marathon on Sunday and seeing Psycho in a theater on Monday with my gf

That depends on how you want your vampires. As protagonist, Interview With the Vampire. As tragic hero, Bram Stoker's Dracula (Gary Oldman). As villain, Shadow of the Vampire, the original Nosferatu, either of the productions of 'Salem's Lot. Christopher Lee is best Dracula. If you like things a little cartoony (in tone, not literally), you might try Lost Boys or Fearless Vampire Hunters. If you want literally animated, Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust are quality, as is Hellsing (Ultimate is superior to the TV series).

>with my gf
ruined. No longer relateable

Black Sundays cinematography is unmatched

Tom Savini's Night of the living dead is pretty good too.

I will watch The Faculty, maybe Halloween 2. I would like to watch a third movie, but I don't know which one...
Alien
Yeah, Alien it is

Mr Pipes did it.

Good work user. I still have a thing for Sarah Greene to this day because of that show

ugh I get that Alien could technically be classed as a horror film, but I tend to think of it as sci-fi. Doesn't ever cross my mind when thinking of horror

As far as recent horror goes:

The Witch
It Follows
Conjuring 1 (2 isn't that good imo)

can you name any horror/spooky movies without blood, gore, or jump scares? anything that's just eerie the whole way through?

i cant handle any of those (maybe i shouldnt be watching these in the first place)

Train to Busan

The Ring maybe? I remember that being generally eerie the whole way through, with some nasty shit at the end.

the first scene is massive jump scare with the girl in the closet

There's a marathon of classic Universal Studios monster movies tomorrow on TCM.

What Lies Beneath. Suspense will drive you crazy.