This scene always bothered me

They look up at the gucci advertisement and laugh at how some men feel the need to maintain and improve their bodies. Meanwhile brads bod is the same if not better than the models

>completely misinterpreting the scene this badly

really makes you think

It's called irony

It's subtle, you might not get it

thats the point

brad pitt is such an egomaniac. he's never fat in a movie, even today he's always ripped.

this scene was not supposed to be ironic, both characters are supposed to come off as rebels resisting the system but brad pitt is just to good looking of a guy to truly pull it off.

He's been old in Benjamin Button, but i guess that's not good enough for you

You've SO missed the point of the entire movie, user.

yes user, let's have a really long argument whether not not brad pitt is an egomaniac. protip: he is.

i'll give you a hint: like who does the narrator want to look? you'll thank me later

You dont get what im saying. I know the point of the movie but at the time of this scene the viewer isnt supposed to see the irony in it yet. Theyre just supposed to see two men laughing at consumerism and resisting it. What im saying is that when you have a guy like brad pitt, the scene doesnt work like it should

So it works in retrospect. What's wrong with that?

OP is correct, and nobody has been able to provide an explanation that works given Pitt's level of fitness and attractiveness.

So the scene doesn't work if you watch only that scene and then not the rest of the movie. But if you watch the whole movie, of which this scene is a part, then it does in fact work. Fascinating.

Yea but it could work so much better if they tried to make brad look even somewhat whimpy and unnactractive like norton. The whole irony relies on how they see themselves.

are you actually this fucking retarded?

Thats all im saying. Just fuck him up a little bit, he looks too pretty

I too want Bradd Pitt to molest my boipucci but you don't see me making a thread about it

So Tyler should look like a fat neckbeard for this scene to make sense?

Maybe.

What I never got is this line:
“Self-improvement is masturbation. Now, self-destruction…”

What the hell is self destruction other than self destruction?

Its a simple fox that couldve helped.

dude just jack off to him and get over it please

What bothers me is that a guy pass by them and they don´t finish the sentece.

Doesnt have to be a neckbeard but maybe just not as fit, cut and defined with a perfect face and hairline

Damn thought fight club fangirls only posted on Reddit anymore

Already did

>finding a man attractive

Youre the truly gay one if you cant recognize when a man is attractive. Doesnt mean you want to fuck him.

The idea is that self destruction is freedom.

Choosing to fight and get your ass kicked gives you freedom. Just like how the lye burn was used to free them from the fear of pain.

>What the hell is self destruction other than self destruction?

art.

check this level of blindness.
it works perfectly once you realize Tyler is imaginary. the narrator laughs at society's model of perfect man but deep inside he wants to fit into it and of course he can't, which finally leads to destructive bursts out

Did you just assume my facebook meme

only Norton was on the bus

How does that account for Pitt's reaction?

And the viewer doesnt know that yet. Im simply saying they shouldve made tyler uglier. Thats it. Im not questioning the whole plot of the movie. I get it

It would've been more confusing to have Brad Pitt less attractive in just that one scene. Probably even more distracting

it's not his reaction, it's Narrator's. Narrator is trying to convince himself that he doesn't care about looing good and he mocks anyone who does but that is a lie, because (as i already said) he wants to be good looking as well (which is represented by Tyler).
Tyler is so destructive because he is the enbodiment of all Narrator's feelings, needs, thoughts, which clearly all stay against each other. it's like pouring water on a hot pan - you'll get a lot of steam. try to put that in a closed room and you'll get an explosion.
this is also why you think this scene does not work out - Tyler is just fake.

>just that one scene

I didnt say that, i meant for the whole movie

narrator wants to be mad max buff

not gucci buff

Brad Pitt/Tyler Durden is Gucci buff though.

'nihilists' are the biggest hypocrites.
anyone that goes around calling themselves a nihilist is an edgy poser faggot.
True nihilists kill themselves.

i don't know if you are trolling or plain retarded but i will repeat: duality of Narrator's desires - on top level he does not want to fit into society's models, but deep inside he wants that. this is what makes Tyler Durden

Liberal arts major detected.

>implying you are not OP trying to save face
Your point is moronic, it has already been proven wrong, your thread is shit. Fuck off.

No it wouldn't make more sense you fucking retard, and you don't get the point. Tyler looks like Norton wants to look, he is meant to be model tier attractive.

Also, isn't the model in that picture actually Brad Pitt? The irony goes deeper.

A nihilist believes that life is purposeless. Not that life is necessarily bad. Just because there is no true end goal does not mean you can't enjoy things such as having sex, watching a good movie, having drinks with friends, ect.

Pitt's the person Ed never could be, a massification of consumerism. that's why he was never real, thats why the irony in the bus scene, only a person with a near-perfect calvin klein body like Pitt can feel "rebelious" with consumerism.

Kinda like SJW now days. They act rebeloius twoards the world but in reallity they would shit themselves if the world started to shift as they desired

The only thing I never got in this movie is how does it go from an underground fight club to a terrorist organization.

I just never got it.

Brad is Edwards interpretation of the ideal. He's a terribly conflicted character.

Shit ain't rocket appliance.

by not asking questions

srsly

shit just snowballed

The rest of the line exists in the script.

David Fincher is so good at interweaving storylines that it happens without you even knowing

self improvment is useless in this world, the only way to stay true to reality is focusing on the shit that hurts you now

I don't get it. If Edward Norton was just faking having multiple personalities so he could get away with killing the priest guy, then how come in this sequel he actually has one?