What's the musical equivalent to Stanley Kubrick

What's the musical equivalent to Stanley Kubrick

Brian Eno

Liget, Caretaker/Leyland, Al Bowlly, list goes on.

Radiohead, good but overrated

Kanye West!

this

Danny brown with two bricks

Bach
>extremely fastidious
>films are neat and orderly
>symmetry is a theme
>didn't exactly invent anything, but improved on everything that influenced him and set the bar much higher
>obsessive
>his oeuvre is very diverse, but his style is recognizable

The Beatles
>Widely regarded as the best there ever was
>Rough start but extremely consistent body of work afterwards
>Accesible to the public yet experimental and forward thinking
>Still enjoyable decades later
>Last piece of work received with mixed reviews

Kevin Shields.

>itt: hurr durr duh most popular yet still good thing I can think of

What about Shakespeare, is he overrated too? How bout Beethoven? Is he overrated, user?

Fucking hell, I hate people like you

its robert fripp

This - or maybe Robert Fripp

None of them were perfect, people pretend radiohead make no mistakes, they'rereal good but not perfect just like kubrick and shakespeare

this

Shit, for some reason my brain translated Radiohead to Kubrick. Yeah, I agree with you.

It's fucking Death Grips

No, that would be Jodorowsky
It's almost perfect, really
A reclusive cult hero who suddenly stopped releasing films after 1990 and didn't make another one until 2013 - only one year off of Kevin Shields
You might also be able to make cases for Terrence Malick or maybe Shane Carruth

Malick is literally Arvo Pärt

None other than death grips

>Radiohead
>good
lad...

> ask Shelley Duvall

fuck off pls

Qwerty100's 5.0s

Thats not Kubrick on the left???

Omar Rodriguez Lopez obviously

me

really causes one to ponder...

Kubrick was just as anal in his creative process

I've always thought comparing filmmakers to music artists was strange. For one thing, film is much more "objective" than music. Because (outside of fringe art films) filmmakers are attempting to tell a distinct story, there are "right" and "wrong" ways to do certain things, whereas music is almost entirely interpretative, and therefore subjective. Beyond that, there are simply far fewer directors and far fewer films than there are bands and albums. This means that it's much easier for the cream to rise to the top in film. Even though directors like Kubrick, Tarantino, Scorcese, etc. are "generic entry-level hipster picks", I legitimately can't think of many directors who top them. Music fans can always argue that Radiohead are overrated, that they're just stealing from their predecessors, that their music is only acclaimed due to marketing, etc. with a certain degree of validity, but how many film critics would seriously argue that Kubrick isn't one of the greatest of all time?

okay but whats the musical equivalent to The Shining other than its soundtrack

Swans

Pink Floyd

Ulver

Master of every genre they touch.

fucking kill yourself, there is no hipster bullshit more meaningless and pretentious than saying something is "good but overrated". You are just saying "yeah it's good but everyone that likes it is still DUMB and I'm cool and aloof"

Was gonna say this

The caretaker's An empty bliss beyond this world was directly inspired by the shining.

Scott Walker

>he actually thinks Radiohead is comparable to the levels of Shakespeare
Reddit is two blocks down, buddy.

I was actually referring to Kubrick, not Radiohead. Definitely not Radiohead.

>The Beatles = Kubrick
>Nolan = Kanye West
>Villeneuve = Kendrick Lamar
>George Lucas - David Bowie

>Nolan = Kanye West
Kill yourself, faggot.

The Beatles are not even close to the equivalent of Kubrick! They were influential, but they werent even close to the best music out at the time. Im offended by your post user.

Switch The Beatles and David Bowie and your starting to get on the right track.

>I Kek'd myself into a coma after reading this comment.

So do you hate nolan or do you hate KW?
I'm a fan of both personally.

Disagree about the beatles.

Switching the beatles to george lucas makes no sense.

Lucas and bowie made amazing shit in the 70's, shit many years later, and their latest work (okay, lucas didn't direct Rogue one but it's still his creative property) has been good (if not quite great).

Kanye isn't even a fucking musician.
He's a fucking dog shit nothing.

lick my right testie qwerty

Shit taste senpai.
He's my (second) favorite artist of all time.

Can't please everyone I guess.

There are fucking grade schoolers scribbling toddler level poetry that's more artistic and well written than a single faggy fucking line Kanye has ever shat out.

Lucas is a hack fraud and he got lucky by ripping off 40's and 50's serials at a time when there was a demand for them. The only reasons the first Star Wars movie was even successful was because his wife had to go in and tell him how to edit the movie because the original cut was a 3 hour disaster that not even the people who made it considered releasable. Thats why the prequels are complete shit, so comparing ANY of these artists to such a shitty filmmaker is ridiculous. And also, its only his creative property because he bought it. "Rogue Attack" (what RO is based off) was an Extended Universe book written by someone whos probably never even met George Lucas. So even if you like that movie, George Lucas is still just an average filmmaker at best.

Sorry for the rant, user, but to see one of my favorite classic rock artists of all time, DB, get compared to one of my most hated Directors of all time has put me in a sour mood.

Like I said, to each their own.

Kanye writes (i m o) some of the most relatable lyrics & lyrics that can resonate with me the most.
There's only a handful of other artists that even come close to having such an effect on me.

So, let's agree to disagree nigga.
That's a fair point.

I'm being very general with these comparisons mind you, I'm taking them at surface level comparisons.

If we were to try to find exact carbon copies in terms of overall output and process we could be here all night.

We have a winner

imagine being this mad

True, I would say The Beatles are more comparable to an Alfred Hitchcock in terms of career. Relatively Short-Lived Career, but the output that was put out during each artists respective peak completely changed their respective industries.

David Bowie I would say is more like a Francis Ford Coppola. Consistent hit albums/films, with a few duds here and there. But the good stuff, is REALLY good.

>Lucas is a hack
This is the correct usage of the word. It triggers the fuck out of me when people abuse this term and call people like Beethoven or Kubrick a hack.

Barney Kessel

I was that mad once.
>They never found the body.

>he believes Kubrick is comparable to Shakespeare
*scoffs*

Kubrick is the very definition of a hack, he very competently films scripts but does nowhere in his career even remotely approach "art".

>it's only art if I say it is

>he believes Kubrick is comparable to Shakespeare
Yes, in that he is widely considered one of the greatest directors of all time. THE greatest by many many people's standards.

>Kubrick is the very definition of a hack
No. He's not.

>but does nowhere in his career even remotely approach "art"
First of all, he worked very hard on adapting the screenplays--actors were always complaining that the lines would change daily. But just because Kubrick wasn't an auteur like Tarkovsky or Bergman doesn't mean his films aren't "art", you absolute moron.

This is good. But unfortunately the thread is probably about being within the country text of pop music from the 20th century onwards.
I also like this.
I'm going to say John Fahey.

fucking contrarian

Pink Floyd. Strange beginnings, 4 god tier album/movie streak, faded into obscurity

>Martin Scorcese = Nick Cave
>Stanley Kubrick = Robert Fripp
>Wes Anderson = Sufjan Stevens
>Béla Tarr = Swans, or maybe just post-rock in general
>Spike Lee = Native Tongues
>David Lynch = The Residents or Mike Patton
>Guy Ritchie = The Prodigy or The Streets
>John Carpenter = El-P
>Gregg Araki = The Magnetic Fields(?)
>Woody Allen = Robert Pollard

thoughts?

No

>Scorsese = The Rolling Stones
I know it's an obvious choice, but it's the correct answer
>Kubrick = The Beatles
>Wes Anderson = Devendra Banhart
>Bela Tarr = Phill Niblock
>Spike Lee = Digable Planets
>David Lynch = Charlemagne Palestine
>Guy Richie = The Strangers (or The Streets)
>John Carpenter = Aphex Twin
>Gregg Araki = irrelevant faggot who doesn't belong on this list
>Woody Allen = George Gershwin

>The Strangers
*The Stranglers

but Kubrick is good, Radiohead is not

bump