Orgasmatron [GWR/Profile, 1986]

>Orgasmatron [GWR/Profile, 1986]

>I admire metal's integrity, brutality, and obsessiveness, but I can't stand its delusions of grandeur--the way it apes and misapprehends reactionary notions of nobility. One thing I like about Lemmy is that he's proud to be a clod, common as muck and dogged in his will to make himself felt as just that. Add that rarest of metal virtues, a sense of humor, which definitely extends to the music's own conventions, as on the lead cut of his first album in three litigation-packed years: yclept "Deaf Forever," a good enough joke right there (especially for Sabbath fans), it turns out to be a battlefield anthem--about a corpse. And then add Bill Laswell, who was born to make megalomania signify: where most metal production gravitates toward a dull thud that highlights the shriek of the singer and the comforting reverberation of the signature guitar, Laswell's fierce clarity cracks like a whip, inspiring Lemmy, never a slowpoke in this league, to bellow one called "Built for Speed." Result: work of art. A-

>reactionary notions of nobility
What does he mean by that? He also uses this phrase in his review of "A Farewell to Kings".

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/yclept
youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU
google.com/amp/s/genius.com/amp/Dire-straits-money-for-nothing-lyrics
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I think he means the blind praise of Vikings and people like them

i like how his sexual insecurity comes through in every single review he does

Don't forget about how butthurt Mark Knopfler saying faggot made him.

Didnt he consistently beat the shit out of people who tried to fight him in the NYC punk scene though?

He's saying that metal's expressions of greatness is superficial and tends toward preening and majestic gesture rather than anything truly noble or great.

He's saying he doesn't like Tolkien shit but he can't just come out and say it, he has to make everything sound convoluted as fuck so you think he's smart.

^This.

>Christgau has stated that his favorite artists are Louis Armstrong, Chuck Berry, the Beatles, and New York Dolls

Which one did the better Doctor Rock, Motorhead or Ween?

I've seen videos of interviews with him and he does actually talk like that in normal conversation.

Christgau and metal are both equally bad.

Christgau is worst.

^This. He feels sexually threatened by the virile metal barbarians.

literally just a facade with fancy words, trying to sound smart and educated, lmaoing at his life

He went to an Ivy League college though.

>Exposure [Polydor, 1979]

>Fripp has always been a bit of a jerk, but over the years he's figured out what to do with the talent that goes along with his affliction. This concept album earns its conceit, orchestrating bits and pieces of art-rock wisdom--from punk to Frippertronics, from King Crimson to singer-songwriter--into a fluent whole. Maybe soon he'll get smart enough to forget about J.G. Bennett. "It is impossible to achieve the aim without suffering" isn't exactly big news, and old Crimson fans will swallow side two without the caveat. B+

>yclept
is.. is that a typo?

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/yclept

No just an archaic phrase he uses so you know how smart he is.

So did Lemmy.

mfw i think christgau's brety gud

t. humanities major at ivy league college

I feel better now

How does he get away with accusing metal bands of exhibitionism when he finds it necessary to show off just how many obscure phrases/words he knows?

Fantano and Christgau basically prove what an oxymoron that popular music criticism is because inevitably you end up attacking an artist's image and/or fanbase instead of their music.

youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU

actual music critic coming through

>reactionary
>nobility
Damn, these words are mind-benders. I git a 1400 on my SAT, btw

I don't get any sense that he's trying overly hard to sound smart. Maybe very slightly in that direction but not outrageously so.

Berlin [RCA Victor, 1973]

I read where this song cycle about two drug addicts who fall into sadie-mazie in thrillingly decadent Berlin, is a . . . what was that? artistic accomplishment, even if you don't like it much. Well, the category is real enough--it describes a lot of Ornette Coleman and even some Randy Newman, not to mention a whole lot of books--but in this case it happens to be horseshit. The story is lousy--if something similar was coughed up by some avant-garde asshole like, oh, Alfred Chester (arcane reference for all you rock folk who think you're cool cos you read half of Nova Express) everyone would be too bored to puke at it. The music is only competent--even Bob Ezrin can't manufacture a distance between the washed-up characters and their washed-out creator when the creator is actually singing. Also, what is this water-boy business? Is that a Buddhist cop? Gunga Din? Will Lou lick the bloomin' boots of 'im that's got it? C

It's less that he's trying to sound smart and more the fact that he's not hiding that he's a pretentious wanker.

For a proto nu-male that seems far fetched.

Those weren't even his words. He overheard ramblings of a technician and transformed them into lyrics.
google.com/amp/s/genius.com/amp/Dire-straits-money-for-nothing-lyrics