Is Django secretly Quentin's best film?

Is Django secretly Quentin's best film?

youtube.com/watch?v=E3ROhjAuDBk

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sr1NMzPVCSA
youtube.com/watch?v=UZskkweNNCk
youtu.be/sFVDjXr60CU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Imagine if it, instead of The Hateful Eight, had been filmed entirely in 70mm.

I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. I got the same feeling from it and Inglorious Basterds that the whole film could be summarized with

>set up scene
>small scene where plot development happens
>smell scene where plot development happens
(this is halfway through the movie at this point)
>fuckhuge scene with a massive shootout where almost everyone dies
>movie ends

except the movie didn't end there and we got another fuckhuge scene where everyone died

and at the end it still felt like nothing had really happened.

Maybe I'm just retarded

I would definitely argue that it's his worst, though I haven't seen Death Proof.

that scene is utter shit

it already looks fantastic, but i imagine it would look even more kino

whats shit about it?

He has only made one movie, it's resevoir dogs.
The rest is storyless, just a setup to have actors showboating.
I love it, but there's no story, it's just an action flick.

Seriously? The pacing was a godamn mess and Foxx was the worst.

nothing happens in it except the same bullet trajectories loop on repeat. They shoot the live guy like 4 times (would never happen) and he stays alive and after each time they cut to him screaming

Django perches out on the dead body to shoot at the 3 farmhands and somehow doesn't get shot once despite in the shot where he was behind the wall, they were peppering the whole body for several minutes

Not to mention the farmhands are just generic mooks so we don't actually care what happens, since we already had the big "everyone dies part" of the Tarantino movie, so we know at the end Django isn't going to be dead, so all the tension Tarantino tried to create by having this really bloody and brutal scene is null since we aren't actually tense at all

not to mention length =/= quality, and the entire thing is way too fucking long and saturated with shooting and blood and screaming so that after the initial reaction of "jesus christ this is brutal" you're left with another 5 minutes of the same fucking thing

this scene is much shorter but also much better at achieving the same thing:
youtube.com/watch?v=sr1NMzPVCSA

sorry, not much shorter, but there's a lot less shooting and gore per second

the shootout in django is a catharsis for the character

>that Tupac remix
>including the lines from earlier in the movie in the track

What the fucking fuck

I actually think it might be his worst. It's his most conventional in terms of story structure... and in that sense it might be his most boring. Also the integration of music (something QT is known for being great at) is bizarrely horrible in this. Songs float in and out before you can even register them.

Mostly I think it's the editing that sucks. The film is too long and feels disorganized despite being more conventional.

I still like it fine, but it's definitely his least impressive movie. Worth it for the Leo and Don Johnson scenes though.

So? That doesn't excuse the lazy staging. QT has shot some really dynamic action in the past (I still think Kill Bill is his greatest achievement) but this scene is a fucking bore. If not for the over-the-top beautiful gore it would have literally nothing going for it.

This scene is awful.
A real QT action scene.
youtube.com/watch?v=UZskkweNNCk

That scene where Django is picking his own clothes, gives that look of interest and it IMMEDIATELY cuts to him on a horse with "His name is King" pisses me off each time it fuckin happens. It's a horrible transition and lazy editing.

it's a black man thing

Yeah agreed. Also later when he escapes the Australians they blow through two songs in what feels like under a minute. Some original song by John Legend or something. Just doesn't work. Also when Rick Ross started playing I just had to laugh.

Hadn't scene this in a while. Holy shit it is 10/10.
I hope to God QT's next isn't a western.

No, Death Proof is.

youtu.be/sFVDjXr60CU

I just didn't like the 4-9 minute scene of him trotting through the wilderness while a music nigger is over-singing

I like this shot

only makes it worse that THE important scene of the movie is just a fucking bore to get through due to unimaginative direction

literally the same thing over and over for minutes on end

Death Proof is by far his worst.

>inb4 contrarian explains to me how it's actually amazing and i just didn't get it

that scene is shit and lazy, also the music is not just out of place but doesn't even go well with the scene it wasn't edited well at all

It's about an hour too long desu.

Cuckatino couldn't make a good movie to save his life

I thought Death Proof was shit, but then Quentin Cuckoldtino had to let loose his anti-white nigger and jew propaganda.

pleb

>song with C.S. 1.6 samples over the shootout

>It's his most conventional in terms of story structure...
i dont think so, the d'artagnan scene for example

There are so many levels to this scene. On one hand it's a very violent gory scene but at the same time it tells you something about the hierarchical structure in the slave states. Black people were just treated like property and to put terror in the hearts of other slaves and make them work runaways were made into examples. At the same time the only people reaping the reward from the plantation system were a small elite of landowners who kept it all to themselves. The capital never circulated into the white population at large and this made the vast majority of southern whites ignorant and economically retarded since no one got any pay. Why do you think there is so much poor white trash in the south still? It's residue from slavery. Of course those who were hired were hired as these violent overseers and since they were already very much indoctrinated into the values, i.e racism, of that time they had a very easy time to dehumanize the slaves.

Basically the two majorities pittied against each other by a small elite that controlled all the capital by encouraging this behaviour.

Tarantino is literally imdb redditor core. Please kill yourself

over-the-top bs

>le reddit is my only argument!
pleb

It was cut so fucking shit. Like if he literally threw it together, that ending shootout with Tupac was disgusting.

>implying the 70mm added something to a movie with 80% of its length filmed in interior locations.

Tarantino is a very superficial director. Not a bad one, he makes the movies he likes and they have a distinctive look. But the 70mm choice was ridiculous.

That's basically every Tarantula film lately.

Inglorious Basterds is the best.

>Regular film is dying due to rising costs what do we do quentin
>Make it in an even more expensive format that is not suited to the movie at all, and one that very few theaters will show

Nolan is unironically the only person who should be allowed access to 70mm film. Everyone making movies that need it have moved on to digital.