Bands who were held against their will to create an album they didn't like thread

Bands who were held against their will to create an album they didn't like thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cbwVFj2xFGE
youtube.com/watch?v=01FNU3vg34s
youtube.com/watch?v=fkhjKL_6FfE
youtube.com/watch?v=1rZp3T3Vays
youtube.com/watch?v=QvSMp7T2Kes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Captain Beefheart's Magic band quite literally

didnt ministry just change styles and then act all embarrassed over with sympathy
youtube.com/watch?v=cbwVFj2xFGE the synth solos in this song are amazing

>implying Al didn't do exactly what he wanted on With Sympathy and only later made up a story about being forced because he went with the macho shtick instead

they at least liked the album, they still play most of the material as just The Magic Band except for stuff like When Big Joan Sets Up which has really bad/traumatic associations for them. iirc John French (Drumbo) can't even listen to that song anymore or talk about it in detail

Sort of.
Tom was the only original member
It wasn't so much that he was held against his will, he was just apathetic about the whole thing and let others contribute more to songwriting.
This album makes him want to die.

What about that song bothers them?

did he rape them

Bullshit. Tom is a notorious tryhard and knew exactly what he was doing when he tried to jump on the glam bandwagon, just like he knew what he was doing with Vanity Nemesis and that bizarre unreleased weird nu-metal / industrial / hiphop album he pretends doesn't exist.

He's a great big whining, pretentious, bandwagon jumping baby who nobody who actually has had to deal with him likes for very long. Apparently, he's actually ashamed of everything about Celtic Frost that made them famous, but went back to it after everything else he tried failed and nobody wanted to pay for him to live as the edgy artiste he thinks he is.

Cunt.

He knew exactly what he was doing. He tries to white wash this era of Ministry in his book by pretending he just happened to make those tunes for a laugh, but he's full of shit.

when saxon went glam metal with destiny

Not so much albums, but Cheap Trick were forced to write The Flame in the height of the power ballad era, and Warrant were forced to write Cherry Pie and have it as the lead single and album title after turning in what was supposed to be the Uncle Toms Cabin recordings.

>that bizarre unreleased weird nu-metal / industrial / hiphop album he pretends doesn't exist
It's a demo of them fucking around that wasn't suppose to be released.
Literally every artist has stuff like that.

I don't listen to this band but I've read Scorpions - Eye II Eye is one of those.

paramores self titled.

>warrant
>cherry pie
I remember an interview where the lead singer(rip) talked about how much they hated that song and how hard it is to come to terms that it would be their legacy. Poor guy

it's pretty much as bad
although legal

Ministry wasn't held against their will. Their early independent singles were gothy post punk and also had the faux English accent. The album was more synth pop than what Al probably wanted though.

no, beefheart just threw him down a flight of stairs cause he refused to play his drums using strawberries

Right. And that's why it's an entire album with a cover and everything that just so happens to have been recorded when numetal broke... Mate, it's not the unreleased Judas Priest songs Stock, Aiken and Waterman produced that were immediately shelved. That Frost album was written to be released. Thank fuck it never happened.

Amen.

Way to kill a career.

All bootlegs have covers, they aren't made by the band.
Most of those tracks are obvious jokes.
It's called "Prototype" for a reason you daft sob.

>he thinks it's a bootleg!

It was a demo intended to get a deal to record those songs as an album. Suck it up, princess, Tom Warrior is a try hard.

Tupac Shakur's ghost is being held hostage by Interscope and forced to release posthumous albums every 4 years, or else

I feel bad for Doug Yule that he's blamed for this

>to get a deal to record those songs as an album
But it already was recorded, you've heard it yourself.
You're not thinking this through m8.

Everyday is Halloween is better than all the shit he released after it

It's all in the title.

>mfw Front Line Assembly and Delirium are basically the same band

That actually blew my mind

Nah that was during the Decals period, that's why they had to get Art Tripp from the Mothers

What's the difference between Front Line Assembly and Delirium?

One is Canadian, the other is Italian

I think he meant Delerium

Cheap Trick didn't write The Flame.

one makes angry edgelord music the other makes shit your grandma might listen to

Wasn't Pablo Honey just a rush job by the band because they had a short deadline for an album with the new label

Hey i like delerium, you take that shit back

I don't know about that, but Phil Selway didn't like working on The Bends.

The writing and recording from that period involved them living in poverty as a commune while Beefheart constantly beat them and stuck them in a barrel for days at a time. Think Manson family behaviour.

Surprised this one hasn't been posted. She's embarrassed by this one still today

It's an okay album. Just okay.

It's no Velvet album for sure, but it's not bad either.

That's a fucking lie, their early demos were in the same style. They were already new wave before signing to Arista Records. They even shot a video clip with the same tone as Revenge.

You ran out of lies, Al

Lmao, fucking retard drug bands.

NONONONONO! MINISTRY IS A SARCASTIC BAND SO WE RELEASED TWO ALBUMS WORTH OF NEW WAVE MATERIAL AS A JOKE! WE'RE REALLY INTO HARDCORE PUNK AND INDUSTRIAL AND STUFF, GUYS, WE'RE NOT A NEW WAVE BAND, YOU GOTTA BELIEVE ME!!

>This alternative method of recording caused conflicts to arise during sessions. Bassist Dee Dee Ramone wrote of Spector's obsessive recording techniques: "Phil would sit in the control room and would listen through the headphones to Marky hit one note on the drum, hour after hour, after hour, after hour."[10] During the recording of "Rock 'n' Roll High School", Johnny was forced by Spector to repeat his part hundreds of times over the course of several hours. Sire Records owner Seymour Stein relates: "To Johnny, this must have been like the Chinese water torture."[11]

>Early in the sessions, Spector reportedly held the Ramones hostage at gunpoint. According to Dee Dee, when Spector took Joey away for a three-hour private meeting somewhere in his mansion where the album was to be recorded, Dee Dee went looking for them. "The next thing I knew Phil appeared at the top of the staircase, shouting and waving a pistol."[12]

>He levelled his gun at my heart and then motioned for me and the rest of the band to get back in the piano room ... He only holstered his pistol when he felt secure that his bodyguards could take over. Then he sat down at his black concert piano and made us listen to him play and sing "Baby, I Love You" until well after 4:30 in the morning.

>Dee Dee Ramone[13]

Apparently the Cap used to abuse the shit out of his mum as a teenager but she didn't mind because she thought he was some kind of genius.

But they are into Industrial stuff, it's just that Al wanted to try a New Wave sound before and then tried to cover it up.

> IT WAS JUST A PRANK BRO

>Ministry trying to cover something up
mhhh....

Picture a total lack of surprise when he was sent down for murder 23 years later....
RIP Lana Clarkson

story?

she hated the flutes

What did Al mean by this?

youtube.com/watch?v=01FNU3vg34s

youtube.com/watch?v=fkhjKL_6FfE

I like to imagine Al wanted to do synth music since the beginning but seeing that the returns weren't fruitful he got angry and started making angry music because "THEY DIDN'T BOUGHT MY POP MUSIIIIC"

Still one of their best

that's pretty much exactly what happened

thats not the title, retard

I ain't even mad

great thread. what are some essential ministry albums to check out?

The Shags were forced by their father to record Philosophy of the World. It wasn't a very good record.

It's fucked up that we leave in a world where corporations can control artistic visions

This is why self publishing and idependent record companies reign supreme

1000 Homo DJs

al bullshits a lot, like how when al claimed he never liked paul barker despite the fact that al gave him equal billing in ministry for 18 years

the mind is a terrible thing to taste, the land of rape and honey, and psalm 69 are essentials. i'm also partial to filth pig and animositisomina for personal reasons, but i wouldn't recommend either for first-timers

You don't prefer the original?

WHY IS REVCO SO UNDERRATED HOLY SHIT
youtube.com/watch?v=1rZp3T3Vays

They tried to do it to Reznor after PHM

Reznor won.

thanks guys.

And that's very unfortunate.

God I respect the guy for always managing to do things on his own terms.

why?

cause his own terms suck

I do, but I posted it because they re recorded that album and released 99 Songs to get out of their contract with Victory (the point of the thread)

The land of rape and honey
the mind is a terrible thing to taste
psalm 69
filth pig

shit. tagged the wrong person
meant to tag

howlin' wolf hated that title. he actually asked a lot of the players to come back for future records

Great release too. Don't @ me

this. this album is fucking great but hasn't been talked about on here in years

The original is low key a masterpiece

It's very implied when they made Congratulation and this video:
youtube.com/watch?v=QvSMp7T2Kes
They wanted to move away from the poppy electroclash sound that got them popular in the first place.
Ironically enough, critic panned that album because their sudden change of direction.

I thought this was the "albums that were the best but the artist hated" thread.

Beat me to it.

>Trent can literally do whatever the fuck he wants now
It shows. The Slip and the recent EPs are some of his best work.

How can one person be so wrong

PHM dick riders