It has come to my attention that here on the so-called "music board" there are very few people who actually have...

It has come to my attention that here on the so-called "music board" there are very few people who actually have respectable taste in music. Scanning the catalog I see a distressing amount of pop and hip-hop (I included "underground" and "art" rock under pop, because it essentially is) and virtually nothing composed before 1950.

I am here to rectify that. I am here to educate you. Let us start with one of the most historically important genres, the symphony.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HBmQ5wlzF4c
youtube.com/watch?v=I5lgAUHVFC4
youtube.com/watch?v=JiRK-3b5pxY
quora.com/Why-is-it-so-hard-to-understand-music-theory
youtube.com/watch?v=aeoxTvgEK0U
twitter.com/AnonBabble

> I included "underground" and "art" rock under pop, because it essentially is

kys

tfw too intelligent

Brahms no. 2 is GOAT

Is this a really funny joke or are you being serious

You seem like an educated man.
What are your thoughts on modern composers like Bartok and Stravinsky and more modern minimalist composers like Reich and Glass?
Not trying to grade your taste or anything, I'm just more familiar with the modern figures I mentioned and wanted another view.

The importance now are textures and rhythm

Not OP but glass is ass

Elaborate maybe?
I've always felt that EOTB is God's gift to the earth, but after delving more into his catalogue, a lot of the work is pretty similar, with many pieces following the structure of the
>sixteenth pentatonic rhythm
>now its the same notes but sixteenth note triplets
>now its the first figure again
His symphonies are still pretty diverse and great though, in my opinion.

>Dvorak
Patrician. That said I do disagree with some of your arguments, because ultimately you're analysing vastly different things through the same lens. You don't analyse a rock album through the same way you analyse a jazz live recording or a hip hop mixtape or a symphony.

That said, if you're trying to get people into classical, I reccomend starting with sonatas or solos, particularly for piano or string arrangements. Though honestly one of the better starting points is Ravel's Violin Sonata No 2, if only because it is inspired by more American styles of music.

Where is the lie?

Even middlebrains should be able to pay attention through an actual art music piece, if they're going to hang around on a music forum all day long.

It is indeed a masterwork.

I was actually just listening to Stravinsky a minute ago. One of the greatest of the last century.

youtube.com/watch?v=HBmQ5wlzF4c

Reich has some superb compositions too. He's one of my favorite living composers.

youtube.com/watch?v=I5lgAUHVFC4

If by "importance [sic] now" you mean have been dumbed down along with melody in harmony. Listen to the rhythms in the counterpoint of the aforementioned Brahms and try to tell me Kendrick's little ditties are more complex.

youtube.com/watch?v=JiRK-3b5pxY

fuck off poser

Checking in

Half decent effort, but you haven't escaped the "all genres besides classical music are worthless" shtick. I'm not a fan of hip-hop and "pop". Have a sage.

Maybe instead of shallowly appropriating images of Vietnam War violence to add edge factor to your "hurp durp fuck the man" teen music, you could watch Ken Burns's recent excellent documentary on the topic.

Or, alternately, you could listen to some grown up music like pic related

>classical music
>a genre

Oh dear. Is this what people here actually believe?

Oh, yes, now we're fighting over semantics.

>tfw to smart two listen to tonal art music

Meant for:

Mfw op is completely right

It's time to grow up, Sup Forums.

Classical music is gay. Japanese music and hip hop are better. Fuck your white supremacy. Classical music being taught as superior is a form of institutionalized white suprmeacy. A musicologist agrees with me too.

quora.com/Why-is-it-so-hard-to-understand-music-theory

Is semantics when Sup Forums betrays it's collective ignorance?

This is literally on the same tier as when a millennial girls lists "eighties" as her favorite music genre.

is this CLT?

No one takes you seriously. Give up.

Where is your chib

Not an argument.

>Szell/Cleveland dickriding
>le Danish meme symphonist
>snubbing Tchaikovsky, Mahler, Shostakovitch

What do you think?

correct opinions coming through
>1: Webern, Schoenberg (if the Kammersymphonie counts),Hans Rott.
>2: Mahler, Brahms
>3: BEETHOVEN
>4: Brahms, Schumann, Mahler
>5: Mahler, Mendelssohn
>6: Tchaikovsky
>7: Sibelius
>8: Also Beethoven, Bruckner
>9: Dvorak,
>38-41: mozzart (underrated)

what's the best symphony to put on while fucking?

: Dvorak

My sides.

I like his cello concerto more than his symphonies and come to think of it I don't actually like a lot of 9s.
>inb4 Schubert
fuck off Richard.

Imagine being such a pleb that you prefer Dvořák 9 "From the Meme World" to the superior 8, 7, or 6.

Best (non-choral) Mendelssohn coming through.

youtube.com/watch?v=aeoxTvgEK0U

You even used "semantics" in a wrong way, bud. Give up.

Meant for this cunt. Oh, I mean inexplicably atrocious ersatz of a vagina (read in latin).

>tfw no one listens to classical music and you think you're smarter than everyone else because no one wants to listen to a bunch of strings

Texture is important, tell me how distortion and things like tape music and prepared pianos are not important? All of them have the preoccupation for the texture more than complex notes.

And rhythm, well... Jazz?

Btw it's really pretentious of your part think that I was talking about Kendrick, please do yourself a favor

itt: popfag's first clt thread

>well... Jazz?

Ladies and gentlemen, a technical music discussion on Sup Forums.

MHM NYES I WOULD AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY
*farts*
*SNIIIIIIIIFFFFF*
MMMMMMM

>Faust is pop
Lol. OK bud

MFW 5 isn't Mahler
1 is seriously slept on though, it's great

I really need go explain how jazz is important? I used "well... Jazz" 'cause It's so obvious that he's dumb for not thinking about it

>Prokofiev
>Brahms
>Nielsen
>Schumann
>Dvorak

>all before any mentions of Mahler or Bruckner

GARbage taste

yeah classical is p cool but have you heard autechre tho

>he thinks "classical" means old music

been tons of classical music scholars who apply same criteria to modern music and, spoiler, actually enjoy plenty of new music. 4/10 bait, stop spreading the music theory superiority meme